Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Holiday in Central Belt of Scotland, is Linlithgow nice?
  • wombat

Looking at visiting the Central Belt of Scotland with the family this summer.

Linlithgow looks well situated for Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling and all they offer.

Is it an alright place to stay in? Would have the car with us but would ideally visit Edinburgh & Glasgow by train.

Cheers

geoffj

Linlithgow is the nicest bit of the central central belt.
    Depending on whether you want a hotel or self catering I’d choose Edinburgh or Glasgow as the base.

Northwind

Linlithgow is really nice, and well connected on rail etc but it’s not really what I’d have thought about as a holiday destination tbh. Edinburgh isn’t much less well situated for Glasgow and Stirling but it’s much better situated for Edinburgh 😉

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I lived in Linlithgow a while back and it’s the nicest of the central belt towns if you don’t want to be in either Glasgow or Edinburgh. Rail links are good and the town is nice, good castle, a few shops and nice loch. Like has been said its not a region I’d have thought off to take a summer holiday but I am sure you have good rationale. Stirling itself might be a good option as a plan b.

stucol
    Free Member

Only ever ridden through it and been to the loch but it does look very nice.

The link below gives a favourable impression.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/linlithgow/linlithgow/index.html

Gordy
    Free Member

Fairly nice place, aye. That said, I’ve only visited on a few sunny afternoons – there might be drunken fechtin’ and the like every night for all I know.

Only twenty-ish miles from Edinburgh IIRC. Probably more convenient to stay in the city if you plan to visit Edinburgh a lot on your holiday.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I find the concept of going to Linlithgow on holiday fairly bizzare. Sure its reasonably convenient for much of central Scotland and its an OK wee town but its not really a holiday sort of place.

wombat

Thanks for the replies chaps.

We’re not specifically looking at Linlithgow, it just looked like a well situated place and we’ve seen some nice looking self catering accommodation in the town.

We’re looking for a self catering base to visit Edinburgh, Glasgow & perhaps Stirling. We’re a go and see the castles/mines/harbour/museum/coast during the day and then go for a meal in the evening sort of family so there looks to be a fair bit in the area that would keep us entertained for a week.

I understand that it might not necessarily look like the most obvious holiday destination but having visited Cleethorpes on a number of occasions I know there’s fun to be had almost anywhere 😀

geoffj

Depends on what you want to do on your hols TJ.
    As a base for city sights of Edinburgh and Glasgow, it appears a logical choice.

andybach
    Free Member

I lived in Linlithgow for 5 years and really liked it – there are 4 trains an hour to Edinburgh (about 15-20 min) and 2 an hour to Glasgow about 40 min. and 2 an hour to Stirling also about 40 min.

Beecraigs Country Park is in walking distance and the town has a nice loch and Palace.
    Pubs – 4 Marys and Platform 3 do good real ale. Champeney’s is a 5 minute drive away if you want top end steak.

Trossachs are about an hour drive away

Torphicen also worth a visit
    http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/propertyresults/propertyoverview.htm?PropID=PL_293&PropName=Torphichen%20Preceptory

A friend of mine has these holiday cottages on his farm on the outskirts of the town
    http://www.myfavouriteholidaycottages.co.uk/williams-craig-cottages-lothian.html

Linlithgow Marches – and Civic Week on and around the 19th June – is good fun (i usually try and get back to meet old friends and to take part) there are plenty of clips on you tube and on their own website.
    http://visitwestlothian.co.uk/things-to-do-in-west-lothian-scotland/events/linlithgow-marches/

enjoy your visit!

matt_outandabout

I would look a wee bit further North – Doune / Dunblane way as you are much closer to hills and lochs – but not too far to travel to the burgh or weegieland for the day.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Holiday in Central Belt of Scotland, is Linlithgow nice?’ is closed to new replies.