Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Holiday ideas, where to go after Kielder forest?
  • beanie
    Free Member

Hi Guys

I am looking for ideas on where to go after a few days at Kielder forest. I have a week off work next week and have booked 2 nights at kielder but have no other plans after that. I am coming up from Hertfordshire in my campervan so could go anywhere.
    I would like places with marked trials so I don’t have to worry where I am going.
    I have been north of the boarder a few years ago to the 7 stanes so that is a option but looking for other places to visit, maybe north Wales on the way home for a couple of days?

Any ideas would be great.
    Thanks Ian

lapierrelady

What about Hadrian’s Wall? I think there’s a lot going on the weekend 1/2nd July of a Roman nature

vmgscot

Pop across to Newcastleton for a squirt around the extended trails then continue on over to the Lakes and just stay there and ride.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If it has to be marked trails, Buttermere for Whinlatter, then Hawkshead for Grizedale. Canny beat the lakes.

beanie
    Free Member

Cheers guys, the lakes sounds like a good idea so time to start planning.
    thanks for your input 🙂

martinhutch

I wouldn’t personally bother with the marked trails at Grizedale. Whinlatter is better but still only a half day ride.

Including some non trail centre stuff in a Grizedale ride would make for a brilliant day, but if navigation is definitely off the menu and 7 Stanes is not an option, I’d be heading for N Wales and riding CYB/Marin and maybe Nant Y Arian.

oldnpastit

If you’re at Kielder, it’s not that far from there to Glentress/Innerleithen. Lots of marked – and not-so-marked – trails to be found! I doubt you’ll be disappointed!

Mackem

Down to Hamsterley for a day.
    Then Dales bike centre for a couple of days.
    Than Gisburn for a day.
    Lee Quarry for a day.

Head South via Wales

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dales bike centre is a good shout too, lovely area.

beanie
    Free Member

cheers guys, got some good ideas now on what to do and where to go, the only time I have been up that way before was to do Ard rock a few years ago so heading back to the Dale’s is a good shout.

joemmo
    Free Member

From Kielder its a shortish trip to Innerleithen & Glentress or over to Dumfries for Ae, Kirroughtree etc. if you want to stick to trails, then down to the Lakes. Whinlatter for trails centre, Windermere & Coniston area are great for accessible ‘real’ rides too. The Howgills have some great riding not far off the M6 route as well.

If you want to return via the east (A19 / A1) then look at riding in the North York Moors, Sutton Bank is a good base and the trail centre at Dalby is not bad. Could stop off at Hamsterley too

One tip for Kielder – bring industrial strength midgey repellent and some gaffer tape to seal your van, just in case 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Holiday ideas, where to go after Kielder forest?’ is closed to new replies.