Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Holiday destination recommendation
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

Looking for somewhere with some proper mountains, where we could do a 5-7 day-ish backpacking trip (GR- type routes) with maybe a few nights wild camping. Needs to reachable by train or ferry in reasonable time/expense, so no more than a couple of days either end for travel. So this puts places like, say, Slovenia just about in range (I think!)
    This will probably be in August, but it would be nice if half of Europe wasn’t there at the same time.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Bump! Should have chosen a better title…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Norway. Fly to Oslo, train to Flam, ferry to Gudvangen, walk back to Flam. Weather should be ok. Other than the trains, likely to be quiet.
    Flight = Ryanair
    Train – book early, it’s cheap.
    Accommodation – hostels at Flam and Gudvangen are cheap enough, Oslo is the only expensive part.
    Steer clear of alcohol though – 310/bottle of ok’ish IPA

matt_outandabout

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/activityandadventure/9382213/France-how-the-Auvergne-made-me-a-hiker.html

We are off next week with boots, bikes and canoes in hand – I will let you know how it goes. 😀

jools182
    Free Member

The answer is always France

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Have considered Norway but flying is out, and train all the way there is just too expensive.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Holiday destination recommendation’ is closed to new replies.