Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Holiday by Aberdare. Advice please
  • timidwheeler

We are staying just west of Aberdare for a week. We’ve booked a couple of days at BPW but I would really like a picturesque non-trail centre route for a day out. Can anyone recommend something? Doesn’t have to be technical or monster. More a pack a picnic/take lots of photos type ride.

Also any advice on the area in general: good rides, best food pubs, best cake, etc. All very much appreciated.

taxi25
    Free Member

Not sure about Aberdare itself, but the http://bunchofgrapes.org.uk/ in Pontypridd is very good. Bit hackneyed but the “gap” ride sounds like what your after.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d head into the Brecon Beacons http://46.254.200.236/mountain-biking-routes

timidwheeler

We’ve done the Gap route. But you’re right we are looking for something similar.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Aberdare…holiday…bloody hell..you don’t hear that very often!!

Now the schools are back the Gower is a good bit quieter – its not that far away from Aberdare if you fancy some sea air

Gower, Wales route

you could pootle down the Taff Trail from Merthyr to Cardiff Bay – very very easy riding (goes close to the Bunch of Grapes too). Or if you are near Hirwaun/Penderyn, ride over the back road through Cwm Cadlan to pick up the Taff Trail at llwyn Onn Reservoir.

You could also go down through Aberdare to meet Tafftrail at Abercynon – never done that though so no idea how good the Cynon trail bit is – is suspect its actually the pavement next to the main road for much of the way and a bit shit, or just get the train from Aberdare down to Ponty and ride to the “diff that way.

Just near Taffs Well railway station you can pick up

http://www.mbr.co.uk/routes/wales/download-cardiff-gps-route-317640 if you are in full holiday mode worth calling in at Castell Coch too.

Local to Aberdare itself @aberdaremtb are the ones who know whats what – I don’t know if you can still get at the Afan trails from the top of the Treherbet Mtn road (between Hirwaun and Treherbet) – Its where the bailout from the Skyline is – I suspect its badly affected by windfarm/forestry ops at the moment, but a local may know better. I know its trail centre but it used to be good dropping through the skyline down to afan, round whites level or the Wall and then a big climb back up at the end of the ride (via the caff) – couple of years since I’ve done that though.

the Gap would be another good one as mentioned by others….

timidwheeler

Aberdare…holiday…bloody hell..you don’t hear that very often!!

😆

We did Merthyr last January but decided to treat ourselves this year.

Am interested in the cut down to Afan as we are actually staying just a bit to the west of Hirwaun. We want a day out in Afan and if we can ride out rather than have to drive all the way round that would be a bonus. If any locals know any more about any cut through that would be very helpful.

We’ve ridden the Gower before too. Another good suggestion. I’ve got the OS maps out so will look at the Taff’s Well route.

Cheers all.

davidjey
    Free Member

That Cardiff gps track is OK*, but I’m not sure I’d come all the way down here to ride it from Aberdare. Plenty of stuff closer to Aberdare but my knowledge of round there is sketchy so I can’t offer any direct tips.

*at the Rudry end they send you down a trail ridden better as a climb, and back up one that’s ridden better as a descent – some things never change with MBR it seems…

gwaelod
    Free Member

from the official Afan map at

http://www.afanforestpark.co.uk/PDF/AfanMBGSkyline.pdf

where the Ambulance pick up point no 8 is on that map is the location here https://goo.gl/maps/Lfaka7aQD2K2 on google maps. I always used to park there and ride through to the point marked 36 on the Skyline. Much more sensible than driving all the way round to Afan.

However – the top of that mountain is now undergoing massive windfarm construction so no idea how accessible it currently is.

timidwheeler

Thanks Gwaelod that looks ideal. Do you have a bit more detail on your above route?
    Pick up Skyline at 36 I’ve got, then do you take the short cut to get to Afan? Which route do you take back up? Sorry for all the questions. We fancy riding the new Penhydd trail and if we can get there from Rhios without needing the car that would be a bonus.

gwaelod
    Free Member

there’s a more up to date map here

http://www.afanforestpark.co.uk/default.aspx?page=11333

with a great big bit of Skyline trail removed – that makes sense given the windfarm construction…it suggests that access via the top of mtn is still ok though – (the red and black stretch)to trail marker 27 or right turn at 1st fireroad junction to 33. there are lots of fireroads up there and it can be a bit bewildering at first. however maybe best to try and chase the Afan ranger through Facebook or @mtbrangersouth.

Once you are on waymarked Skyline – follow it down till it picks up the Blade trail then down to the valley floor. At the tarmac cyclepath on the valley floor either turn left for short trip to Glyncorrwg caff (aka “the good cafe”) or turn right down the cyclepath towards Afan – you ride past the Afan trail called The Wall first, and eventually to a river crossing point that takes you to Afan visitor centre and “the less good cafe” and the start of Penhydd. I did the new Penhydd a few months back..wasnt that impressed tbh and it might be dissappointing I’d be inclined to stick to riding the Blade and down to the Wall. there used to be a link via forest road from the top of the Wall to the top of where the Blade now is – no idea if its still there/rideable/smashed by forestry ops though.

Must be someone else on here with more up to date gen

timidwheeler

Cheers again Gwaelod that’s at least one day sorted.
    Anyone else got any advice?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Holiday by Aberdare. Advice please’ is closed to new replies.