Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Holding company property as security against unpaid wages
  • Im leaving Diamond Bus on Saturday. They’ve already got two drivers taking them to court over unpaid wages. I don’t trust them to pay me my last week.
    What if I was to take something home and put in a safe place, then return it once I’d been paid.
    What’s the law on that ?

jam-bo

Sounds like theft to me.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

depends on what it is, it may be theft but it could also be a civil issue. I’ve wheel clamped a company car in the past and when the fuzz turned up and realised what was going on they showed no interest. I’d try it, you got nowt to lose.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

Unpaid wages sounds like theft to me too.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You could make an example of someone. Give them a good kicking. *

*I’m not legally qualified.

binners

Can you fit a bus in your garage?

Davesport

Is this company property that you legitimately have possession of & are going to withhold in lieu of your unpaid wages ? or stuff that you are going take possession of from the company in anticipation of not getting paid ?

Totally different IMVHO & I think with the latter you may come unstuck.

£0.02

plyphon
    Free Member

Please tell me you’re going to hold them ransom to a bus. 😆

Trimix
    Free Member

Dont commit a crime to get revenge against a crime committed.

If you dont get paid go stright to the small claims court before anyother creditors do.

Or better still, tell them your intentions when you dont get paid. Most businesses when running out of money pay the loudest creditors first.

project
    Free Member

Can you take a dennis dart, leyland national or leyland olympian then, and some fuel to drive them home please and i`ll pop round and droll on them, please.

binners

trail_rat
    Free Member

do a pat mustard on them 😀

bails

Has anyone seen Speed….. 😉

officialtob
    Free Member

Sounds like theft to me.

+1

A guy I know took some stock from a shop he worked in because they didnt pay him. Needless to say, he now has a criminal record.

jam-bo

Unpaid wages sounds like theft to me too.

didn’t your mother ever tell you two wrongs don’t make a right.

I don’t normally take company property off site, so yes, this would taking, not witholding.
    I don’t intend to commit a crime, that’s why I want to know the law first.

Stoner
    Free Member

1) Install a safe in the depot.
    2) Put all the bus keys/fuel bowser keys/workshop keys/diesel glowpins/tyre valve cores etc etc in the safe
    3) withhold the combination until wages paid.

No property was stolen in the making of this bribery action.

annebr
    Free Member

If they don’t pay you, you take them to an employment tribunal. This is free you just fill in the correct form and sent if off. You do not need legal representation or anything like that. The tribunal will (assuming you’re not telling porkies or got it wrong) find in favour of you and your previous employers will quite possibly need to pay you more because they illegally withheld wages.

Do not steal that would be stupid.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Chain yourself to a bus, dig in swampy-style and expect to be there for a week or so… Oh and of course invite the press!

binners

Dirty protest?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

If they don’t pay you, you take them to an employment tribunal. This is free you just fill in the correct form and sent if off. You do not need legal representation or anything like that. The tribunal will (assuming you’re not telling porkies or got it wrong) find in favour of you and your previous employers will quite possibly need to pay you more because they illegally withheld wages.

correct, however, this will take 6 months (the company will probably pay up within a month of the forms being issued to them) and the OP may need his money sooner than that.

trevron73
    Free Member

Defo 100% take a bus!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

1) Install a safe in the depot.
    2) Put all the bus keys/fuel bowser keys/workshop keys/diesel glowpins/tyre valve cores etc etc in the safe
    3) withhold the combination until wages paid.

No property was stolen in the making of this bribery action.

As above, but make it into some kind of comedy Anneka Rice Treasure Hunt thing out of it, where your employers or their liquidators have to solve a series of riddles, drive a tractor to Leamington Spa and back, avoid an angry scotsman in a helicopter (or was that The Interceptor) and ford several rivers, only to find all the keys hidden behind some old jazz mags back in the depot staff room. 😀

wordnumb
    Free Member

Probably best to let the passengers off first.

5thElefant
    Free Member

No. Keep them. Shoot one an hour until they pay up.

wordnumb
    Free Member

5thElefant – You’re suggesting there’s a bus company that cares about its passengers once they’ve paid the fare?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m obviously out of my depth here. I’ve never been on a bus.

hels
    Free Member

You should take the whole family and stage a sit-in on the bus. Like The Partridge Family.

project
    Free Member

Perhaps borrow a bus, and run around town and anywhere else your customers fancy charging reasonable fares, and i can be your conductor, and we share the proceeds.

user-removed
    Free Member

Or, on a more sensible note, do as I did in similar circumstances – phone in sick every day for the last week.

white101

Without wanting to make light of a tough situaton for the OP, who’s weekly photo challenge threads are enjoyable, I think this thread has got classic STW written all over it.
    I say nick a bus, complete with your bike and just drive around countryside to top locations have a quick ride and then push on, make sure you take your phone and keep us all upto date with daily thread additions. You could even pick STWers up all over the country.

Next weeks weekly photo challenge your bike next to a bus?? But not just any bus it has to the OP’s bus

5thElefant
    Free Member

Or take the bus on a prolonged holiday. Send postcards featuring the bus from exotic locations around the world.

hels
    Free Member

I often get free trips on our local bus company. I think it is the drivers’ version of a work to rule. They kind of wink and hand me back the 10 journey ticket without clipping it. Works for me !

Free rides all around next week !

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Theft – defined as dishonourable appropriation of anothers property with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it…hence why TWOC is a separate offence, as joyriders only intend to borrow not to steal, therefore, technically if you intended to borrow and admire the item at home intending to return it in a few days you could get away with it*

* I am no expert, you do this at your own risk

chakaping
    Free Member

You should take the whole family and stage a sit-in on the bus.

No, stage a love-in.

I used to be a union rep, this is standard procedure.

binners

A lad I used to work with once nicked a bus to get home from a club. He was off his tits on pills. He got it wedged under a bridge.

So if you ‘re going to steal a bus, don’t do it while completely mashed on E’s. just sayin’ like

chrisylad24
    Free Member

I work for an idiot who never pays anyone who leaves what he owes them a whole months wages for the one lad who even worked extra notice suffice to say come my time it will be wages in bank and out the door i am in the motortrade aswell and seems that this is all to common

highclimber
    Free Member

julianwilson
    Free Member

or indeed:

Junkyard
    Free Member

As above, but make it into some kind of comedy Anneka Rice Treasure Hunt thing out of it, where your employers or their liquidators have to solve a series of riddles, drive a tractor to Leamington Spa and back, avoid an angry scotsman in a helicopter (or was that The Interceptor) and ford several rivers, only to find all the keys hidden behind some old jazz mags back in the depot staff room

I never realised that trail quests were so interesting 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Holding company property as security against unpaid wages’ is closed to new replies.