Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hoiserytrackworld. 15y kid, school project. Help me wise elders.
  • mmulligan00
    Free Member

Bare with me…
    I’m 15, just got back to school; and the teachers have wasted no time in getting us to work.
    In Technology & Design I’ve been asked to redesign/rebrand the humble cycling sock. A challenge if ever there was one.
    I’ve racked my brains for day and night but I’m struggling to think of anything even a tiny bit ground breaking. It’s all a concept, so don’t hold back on anything ‘out there’; it doesn’t have to be made.

Some ideas I’ve had;
    The sock: I was considering a little pocket you could stick a house or car key or gel in? velcro tab or something. Also good for stashing drugs/money if the need occurs. Anti-slip heel for better power transfer. Obviously blend of good sweat wicking & breathable material with support bands in arch of foot. Seamless toe for added comfort. Maybe some motivational words/quotes on the sole or foot part to make you smile/be inspired when putting them on in the morning? Little connecting something to keep them together in the wash.
    The brand: A subscription service where you could get a fresh new pair of socks every month? A bit of marketing focus towards people buying as gifts to fam & friends.

If you could offer any creative ideas, designs, strengths/weaknesses of your current socks, things you use your socks for other than putting on your feet it would be so appreciated. Anything weird or wonderful, anything at all! Also what price you’d be willing to pay for a premium sock.

Many many thanks,
    Mark.

cbike
    Free Member

Thinner around the foot and thicker on the legs. nice long ones for winter.

Anti tick coating, latex cuff for waterproofness like drysuits.

I like decathlons slightly posh ones but if they were cotton instead of manmade they would stay warmer longer.

maccruiskeen

The brand: A subscription service where you could get a fresh new pair of socks every month?

I’m a bit concerned about how infrequently you change your socks 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    maccruiskeen

Can you stretch the brief from socks to stockings?

How about a service to print the face of your arch nemesis onto a pair of tights so that you can rob banks safe in the knowledge that someone else will get collared for it

tthew

I like the anti-slip heel idea, I could see that being a real thing.

If long socks for MTBing, built in slim 3DO panel, (that stuff posh knee pads use that goes solid on impact) to protect against rocks flicked up off the front wheel.
    A seal to stop water running down your legs and filling the inside. (oh – cbike already covered that one)
    Red reflective rear, white reflective front, (or orange as very few pedals have reflectors)
    27.5 specific socks. 😀

perchypanther
    Free Member

Pressure sensors to detect the sneaky dabs of those who boastfully claim to have cleaned a section?

mogrim

Accelerometer + Bluetooth and you can build in a cadence sensor? It could also detect those dabs that pp is concerned about.

Any kind of tech add on would need to be transferable to another pair of socks when the first wear out, of course.

mmulligan00
    Free Member

“27.5 specific socks. “

This is not what I’m encouraging, but it’s amazing.
    😀

stumpy01

Ant-slip heels sounds pretty good idea – could use that stuff they put on those slipper socks for grip…

How about a pocket on one sock with integrated tyre levers & pocket on the other sock with sticky puncture patches?

Socks with LED lighting/reflective panels on the rear edge

A popper on the top edge of each so you can join them together so they don’t get lost in the wash, but still wash effectively, i.e. not bundled up.

crikey
    Free Member

Integrated sock/insole. Heat moldable thin carbon fibre insole inside wicking sock. Those of us who use orthotics will know how much abuse insoles get, make a cheap washable one with a sock to match.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hoiserytrackworld. 15y kid, school project. Help me wise elders.’ is closed to new replies.