Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hogmanay LEJOG
  • scotroutes

Think it’s too cold to go riding?
    Still trying to work off the mince pies?

How about riding from Lands End to John O’Groats over 4 days?

Emily Chappell, Huw Oliver and Jenny Graham are doing just that in order to raise funds and awareness for SocialBite.

You can read more about it and make a donation here.. https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/hogmanaylejog

That includes a link to their Spot Tracker so you can also follow their progress. If you see them passing I’m sure they’d also appreciate your encouragement.

jam-bo

They’ve got a good tailwind blowing them out of Cornwall today.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Huw is my Puffer teammate. I get the feeling that this is just a normal spin for him these days!

jam-bo

Although going straight up the A30 is pretty brave/stupid

scotroutes

That wouldn’t be my choice of route but with a 4 day target and unknown road conditions then there’s a degree of logic in sticking to the main roads.

simmy
    Free Member

Good luck and big respect to them.

Let’s hope the weather isn’t too bad, the A6 over Shap is closed completely at the moment due to snow.

ontor
    Free Member

I thought “hmm, sounds interesting – would quite like to ride out and wave them on.”

Now I’ve seen their route – Blow that.

Riding the A30 on a Friday, let alone in this weather is essentially suicide.

scotroutes
    UrbanHiker
    Free Member

scotroutes, that linky doesn’t work. Any chance you have a working one? Am tempted to get my pom-poms out and cheer them on as they go past.

scotroutes
    UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Ah, yes it does. Nice one, cheers.

simmy
    Free Member

Just seen them coming through Standish about 8.45 pm

The weather is certainly on their side tonight, Dry, very light winds and about 6 degrees

Have they any back up vehicles with them ? I didn’t see a follow vehicle but there was a camper van further up in a lay by, might have been with them.

bedmaker

Some effort, good on them for going for it at this time of year!
    Winds do indeed look to be co-operating nicely.

crazy-legs

I thought “hmm, sounds interesting – would quite like to ride out and wave them on.”

Now I’ve seen their route – Blow that.

LEJOG in 4 days (especially in these weather conditions) means essentially sticking to the main roads, it’s just too slow to mess around on country lanes.

Problem is that it then makes the entire ride an exercise in purgatory and general unpleasantness. I saw a tweet from Emily asking if anyone had a spare 1x 11 SRAM jockey wheel but I’m assuming they’re sorted now? Anyone know if they got over Shap OK?

JoB
    Free Member

they’ve just reached Scotland according to twitter

crack on lasses and lad

simmy
    Free Member

They are heading towards Edinburgh at the moment.

According to Twitter, Today’s ride started in Kendal and ends in Perth.

crazy-legs

Looks like they’re just coming into Inverness. What’s their plan, is it just to keep going until JOG?

Given that they set off from LE at 5am, if they make JOG by 4.59am then it’ll be a 4-dayer. Although I did wonder if they were hoping to make it by midnight tonight…

Looking at the weather and how long it’s taken them so far, I’d be stopping in Inverness and then finishing tomorrow with the much more scenic 150mile trip up the middle route (via Altnaharra).

scotroutes

The planned route is NCN1 to Tain then A9/A99. IIRC that’s about 120 miles. And there was no planned overnighter in Inverness.

crazy-legs

That’s why they’re a lot more hardcore than me Colin!

Thanks for the update. They’ve obviously stopped for a few minutes in Inverness, Emily has just tweeted a picture from earlier today over Drumochter Pass.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hogmanay LEJOG’ is closed to new replies.