Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Hoarding bike bits…..
  • kudos100
    Free Member

I went through a stage of having quite a few stems that never got used. Slowly getting rid of them now.

My latest thing is tyres. I have a number that have never been used.

What bikes bits do you hoard?

Edric64
    Free Member

Shouldn`t that be what bikes do you hoard ?

steel4real
    Free Member

Forks – 3 bikes, 8 sets of suspension forks 😯

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Chainsets!

kudos100
    Free Member

Have another read of the post. It says hoarding bike BITS 😉

kudos100
    Free Member

That is impressive Steel4real. Bonus hoarding points for you.

Dyffers
    Free Member

Old groupset parts, part-worn tyres, a ridiculous amount of punctured innertubes that were put away to be repaired one day and that day has never arrived…

the-muffin-man

Old v-brake sets – no idea why I’m keeping them!

God a nice set of XTs and a couple of sets of Arch Rivals.

+ 24 tyres and other assorted gubbins I can’t part with!

eskay

Everything!!

I have so much old (useless?) stuff. Cleats, downtube levers, nipples, spokes, screw on blocks, old casettes, chain rings, bags, racks, frames, pedals (loads for some reason), saddles……..

The list goes on.

Oh – and I hoard bikes.

gusamc
    Free Member

currently collecting 9sp
    reckon I’ll end on 9sp/26″, I’m on onza pedals so holding firm against evolution is doable

andytherocketeer

Do have a pile of used tyres. Some really ought to be binned, some have enough tread for emergency use, although I know I never will re-use them.

And a pile of old chains wrapped in newspaper. Still usable, but I know I never will use them as there’s a stack of new chains in the toolbox, still unopened.

avdave2

I’ve still got the front wheel and cantilever brakes from a 1986 Rockhopper. And a Roberts White Spider frame from 1988.

BillOddie

Yep….

Lots of tyres, 2 frames (one cracked, one very old) , 3 sets of suspension forks for 1 bike, pile of tubes to be fixed, a road bike I haven’t ridden in 18 months, about 5 wheels (only 1 rear), a single speed (not really ridden for over a year), about 5 sets of old handlebars (680-760mnm widths) and box of random components that in all likelihood I will never use!

aracer
    Free Member

Huge amounts of tyres. Mostly very little worn. Should really try and get rid of some again as I’m never going to use them, but last time I tried giving them away I had no takers (and I can’t bring myself to bin perfectly functional tyres). Actually now I think about it there is a local bike recycling place I could try…

andytherocketeer

a local bike recycling place I could try

would be handy if there was one around here

2 bikes to offload that are really taking up space in the store room, plus a pile of bits, none of which is worth sticking on eBay (more faff than it’s worth) or the notice board at work. Not even worth upgrading the bikes to be properly usable.

TiRed

Stems. Thinking of starting a “stem bank”. just toss one in when you want a withdrawal.

Have 100, 80, 120 all surplus to requirements at the moment.

globalti
    Free Member

Suntour thumbshifters. I love them.

Wheelie-good
    Free Member

I used to have all kinds of bits in the shed, tyres, shifters, mechs, bars, stems etc, but they got donated to my brother/ my parents garage when I moved to Oz.

khani
    Free Member

Frames, forks, brakes, bars, cranks, chainrings, rear shocks, tyres, cassettes, chains, shifters, front and rear mechs, seatposts, saddles, rollamajigs x2, pads for brakes I no longer own, axle adapters for hubs I no longer own, full face helmets x2, dianese knee and elbow pads, and two bikes in the garage that won’t fit in the bike room in the house with the six seven bikes already in there..
    That’s quite embarrassing really.. 😳

andytherocketeer

oh and still kept all those bits of chain you remove from new ones when shortening them to the right length “just in case they come in handy”

maybe one day i’ll have enough quicklinks and chain “offcuts” to make a spare emergency chain?

Nezbo
    Free Member

Oh no, just had a look at my ever growing pile of bar, forks, chainsets, frames, seat posts, saddles, etc… Lots of expensive bits too just being wasted 🙁

keep an eye out on the classified 😉

rwc03
    Free Member

Quite a few bits, worst/best is a moots smoothie frame.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i hoard bikes :d

emac65
    Free Member

Kind of, boxes of well worn bits,big boxes !
    Gawd knows how many tyres,last time I counted it was over 40
    & a bike for everyday of the week,with a couple of spares just in case they add a couple of more days to the week ……….

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Loads, of everything. I get twitchy about selling on the classifieds. But I should really

JoeG
    Free Member

CS-M800 8 speed 12-32 XTR cassettes.

I think that I have at least 5 new and unused! And a brand new M950 Ti one as well, which I’m saving as its too nice to use. (Saving for what, I have no idea!) Plus 2 more installed on wheels that are in use, and 2 or 3 worn ones… 😯

colournoise

Bars, stems, saddles, grips. Probably 5 or 6 of each plus the ones actually on the 4 bikes. I’m contact point curious I guess.

Got a few sets of part used tyres (going back as far as good old Tioga DHs and a Smoke/Dart combo). Also I’m another one with a collection of punctured tubes ready for repair despite having plenty of new ones kicking about.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

everything that comes off these days unless it’s properly shagged

mikewsmith
    Free Member

everything that comes off these days unless it’s properly shagged

thepodge
    Free Member

I took all my stuff to the local bike jumble, came back with over fifty quid and a lot less junk.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Oh yes! Tyres, I’ve got a pile that if you laid them on top of each other I could stand in the middle and you wouldn’t see me – not quite, but I have a bit of a tyre fetish, I get tempted by sales. Over time I’ve upgraded my bikes but not sold the old stuff, it’s just gone into the spare room or loft so I’ve got good forks, wheels and frames as well as cassettes, saddles, cables, BB’s, chainsets, 25.4 bars and stems, old brackets, nuts and bolts, pile of old innertubes, lots of bits of brake and gear outer cable, even found some 7 speed cassettes, onza bar ends, old canti brakes and new pads, new brake cables, rim brake wheels, 7 and 8 speed sti levers and 4 complete bikes from the 90’s including a specialized road bike, lots all of it I’m never going to use again but I still keep it. But, I’m started to see sense now (SO has pointed out the error of my ways, and we need the space) and slowly getting it sorted out to sell.

pipnet1
    Free Member

I’m not as bad at hoarding bits now, I’ve started on hoarding bikes instead.

That said I still have several hubs of varying quality, sh*t loads of spokes, tyres, and a load of small parts for stuff I don’t own any more.

MrTall
    Free Member

12 sets of pedals and around 40 tyres which are either mounted on my large collection of bikes or out in the shed all individually mounted onto spare rims that i’ve reclaimed from the LBS scrap bin so that they all keep their shape and can be easily picked up and stacked. That became a bit of an obsession……

nickc

Lordy. I used to be like this. I collected it all togethr and took it to the recycling centre.

Now I’ve got it down to: disposables (chains, brake pads, cable inner and outer, that sort of thing) and a tin of bits and bobs.

everything else I buy when it wears out, and then the old bit goes in the bin.

neilm
    Free Member

And a Roberts White Spider frame from 1988.

Nice!

I have all sorts of retrogubbins; you know, cranksets, miscellaneous cantis, more stems than I can ever use, ‘rare’ bits, crap front and rear mechs that should have long ago been scrapped, wheels, rims, not quite knackered cassettes, and all the other JIC detritus that sort of accumulates.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I have constant had an assortment of cheap seatposts my dad picked up cheap at an auction, about 15 years ago including a postmoderne suspension post. they’e moved ouse about 5 times

I finally got around to chopping 1 of them down to make a headset drift last weekend 🙂

I’m currently sorting the knackered (worn chainrings, cassettes – the wind chimes weren’t a big success) from the redeemable – (stems, chain devices, brand new ruktion cranks and bb?)

knightrider
    Free Member

I just seem to collect enough junk then build it into a bike!

Euro
    Free Member

How da fug do you end up with 40 tyres???

Not much here. One spare tyre and a front qr wheel; a crap set of suspension forks and 3 sets of OE handlebars and a nice set Sunline V1s.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I’ve had a cull of a lot of stuff that I was never going to use, but its nice to have random stuff to help mates out with: we all seem to hoard stuff and so its wise to text around before we buy anything as often someone will have an old one lying around. My ‘stock’ seems to be tyres and chainrings at the moment.
    I also have loads of v-brake inserts, bur slowly wearing my way through them.

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t suppose any of the hoarders on this thread have any spare screw in canti bosses either without the shoulder arrowed in this pic or with a very narrow one (the one on that is 3mm wide)? I need some to fit in some holes without a recess for the shoulder.

cheeky I know, but don’t ask don’t get, and this seemed like the thread where people might have some.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Hoarding bike bits…..’ is closed to new replies.