Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ho long to rest after cramp
  • richtea44
    Free Member

Hi all

Wonder if anyone could advise me on my cramp problem.

I’ve just started doing (badly) weekly xc races – just 1hr.
    They’re on Wednesday nights, and I’ve only just done my second one.
    The first one I didn’t cramp but my calves were a bit twitchy for the week after so I anticipated I might get cramp problems.
    Sure enough 40 mins into the race this week I got cramp in my calf ending my race.
    My calves have bee very twitchy (more so that last week) ever since.

I have tried taking calcium, potassium, sports drinks, and multi vits with magnesium in to help since Wednesday but I’m still twitching.

AM planning a gentle ride tomorrow for an hour or two.

Is this advisable or should I be resting?
    And should I race next Wednesday or take a week off?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

stretch

qwerty
    Free Member

Are you stretching? Gastrocnemius & soleus? Massage?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

My dvice is to stop messing about with the calcium etc and get some irn bru down your neck, or tonic water if you prefer. Then go out on your bike and get fitter. The muscle twitching is muscle failure. You either need to change your pedalling style or get fitter.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I suffered from cramp racing enduro (with engines). I eventually solved it by starting hydrating 24hr before the event and keeping salt / potassium intake high before and after.

lunge

I used to get terrible cramp after around 3 hours riding, tried energy powder, hydration tablets, tonic water, you name it. Turned out what I needed to do was get fitter and get used to exercising for that kind of duration, I did that and the cramp disappeared.

stever
    Free Member

Turned out what I needed to do was get fitter…

Mm, same here. Go for the ride.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ho long to rest after cramp’ is closed to new replies.