Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • How little clearance does my ON One 29er Have!!!!?
  • Davetherave
    Free Member

Honest I know the On One Inbred 29er frame was cheap but serious! I am astounded and flabbergasted at how poor and how little time must have gone into choosing the cable routing on this thing 🙁

Let me start by saying I love how the thing handles and looks, and you can’t know the price.

Ok so it is the swapout version so can be used as a SS or with gears. I’m guessing they designed this for SS only and then suddenly decided to throw on some cable stops.

Not only do the cable stops on for the gears and brakes look terrible when cable fitted. For instance to have the gear levers on the correct side the inner cables need to cross under the downtube, which in turn snaggs on the bizzarly situated brake hose point.
    Talking of the brake cable routing, if you use the lower mounts the cable twists between the stops on the downtube as two are on the outer edge and the middle one us under the downtube?! Madness lol

Anyway I have come to terms with this as like I say I know these frames are cheap so I am guessing we need to put up with small problems? so we?

The biggest problem for me is, the front mech cable routing. It is a under the bottom bracket type, so a bottom pull front mech is needed.
    I tried a low mount one, but the clearance was poor so I put a high mount one on and I am shocked at the clearance lol Take a look at the pics below!
    Anyway the tyre is a Bontrager 2.2 width and not a fat tyre.

If only the front mech cable routing was a top pull set up I could cut the unneeded arm of the front mech off, giving loads of clearance!
    Such poor design guys, really disappointed…… The thing that makes me laugh more is that just after I bought this, I notice they changed the cable routing! So I guess it’s an admission that the design was bad? If only I could swap this one for the slightly newer version I would be loving this frame.

Sorry the reason for the post was to ask others in this situation, how they overcome this? and don’t just say “go SS” I would but we live in a hilly area and I like my knees in one piece.

Bregante

Your knees are in one piece?
    How do you bend your legs?

scaled
    Free Member

and don’t just say “go SS” I would but we live in a hilly area and I like my knees in one piece.

go 1 x 10 😀

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Lots of front mechs are lower profile than the one pictured and will have greater clearance, its not a design fault of the frame, most 29ers are tight in that area.

tracknicko
    Free Member

try a sram mech?

brant
    Free Member

Could you use a seat tube mounted roller, higher up the seat tube to turn the bottom pull into a top pull, then you could cut that arm off?

Mike_D
    Free Member

Top swing, bottom pull.

khani
    Free Member

Try one of These with a high band top pull mech, or a high band multi pull with the bottom pull arm sawn off

Stoner
    Free Member

not really worth crying over now, is it?

steve_b77
    Free Member

My Chumba is almost as bad as that, so I went 1×9

PaulD
    Free Member

+1 for Khani’s solution with a full-length outer.

PaulD

steve_b77
    Free Member

Stoner, does the cable just go straight onto the mounting bolt from below?

PaulD
    Free Member

I thought Stoner had cut the bottom-pull element off, leaving his XTR a top-pull only.

PaulD

letmetalktomark

Odd.

Didn’t notice any issues with my green 21” swapout frame – that said I was using a M950 BP mech with non of this new fangled dual pull “stuff”

I ran mine with a largish volume 2.1” WTB tyre and the chainstay/seat stay clearance was more than ample.

Stoner
    Free Member

cant remember, been riding SS for 6 years.

Now I think of it, the scandal must be top pull as the cam is for bottom pull actuation.

Must read OP better.

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Try some smaller wheels, say 26 inch? that might work? 😉

andyl
    Free Member

I took the same route on my original Scandal 29er as Stoner but my frame is top pull. I have the same front dérailleur as you by the looks of it (older XT).

Going to need to find one with bottom pull and no gubbins sticking out of the back as I don’t like the roller method mentioned above. Too much faff and messy looking.

I would rather fit a clamp on cable stop and run the cable from the top, thus solving the poor routing and cross over below if you want to have your cables wrapping round the front of the headtube as most of us do.

On my Scandal I gave up and mounted the cables so they don’t cross over round the front of the head tube. I hate it and it rubs on the frame but it was the neatest way in the end as my inners where a bit too short.

Davetherave
    Free Member

Cheers the the sensible replies guys.

Yea Stoner, I did that on my other frame but it was a top pull. very neat and gives loads of clearance.

Davetherave
    Free Member

yea gonna try a SRAM mech.

At the moment I am running it as is with a skinny Continental rear tyre.

The cables do cross ynder the downtube as suggested, that’s fine but the daft boss for the brake cable is in the way and already wearing the paint off.

Oh well not to worry it was just a stop gap frame anyway, so no harm no foul I guess. Just dissapoined in poor cable route choices.

igm

Shimano CX-70 cyclocross mech helped clearance issues on a 29er I built recently. I think the CX mech is designed around a 50-34 chainset though.

Davetherave
    Free Member

Brant, yea that might work. Need to track a roller down and try it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘How little clearance does my ON One 29er Have!!!!?’ is closed to new replies.