Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • hmmmm tyres
  • jedi

tyres are a love hate thing with me. I love using tubeless but find issues with burping and mis shaping on hans dampf and conti rubber queens. Anyone have experience of a fast rolling, lightwieght, grippy and durable tyre? has to be able to handle singltrack and airtime 🙂

lucien

Tony, us mortal riders have none of those issues as we’re not that fast. On a serious note, had similar issues with RQ’s, both burping and mis-shaping that I’ve gone back to tubes for anything where gravity plays a hand!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Tony, My Mountain King bead ripped slightly on Monday on the FoD Blue route letting all the air out – very disappointing as it’s not even that old or heavily used.

I’ll be really interested in what comes out of this as getting slightly disappointed with Conti reliability on the tubeless front as this is the 2nd one to go.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Just a thought, tried specialized tyres?

LoCo
    Free Member

If you’ve tried Conti and Scwalble tyres, it’s Maxxis next.

As you’ve had issues with two different manufacturers can’t really blame rim fit I guess.

Cheezpleez

I’m really getting on with On-One Smorgasbord and Chunky Monkey. Not lightweight though

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Really? A “tyres” thread?
    What is the world coming to (ret.) 🙁

Oh and “Maxxis FTW!”

danielgroves
    Free Member

I’ll be really interested in what comes out of this as getting slightly disappointed with Conti reliability on the tubeless front as this is the 2nd one to go.

Black Chilli Baron up front and a normal cheapie £15 one on the back of my Meta 5. Never had an issue running the tubeless on my Flow EX rims. Tight as hell getting them on/off though.

Northwind

Not sure what Specialized have that fits the bill tbh, Butcher does it all apart from the fast rolling bit but they don’t have a really fast rolling, tough tyre as far as I can tell. No SX Captain 🙁

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Will say it again until everyone listens, not cool, not trendy, but ace! On-one chunky monkey. Grippy and VERY tough sidewalls, seal tubeless so easily

K

On-One Smorgasbord and Chunky Monkey here to.

damion
    Free Member

Maxxis for sure: Minion front, Larsen rear, I’ll let you have a roll next time 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Danielgroves – Yeah, it’s only been my MK2 in 2.4 which I’ve had an issue with, My MK2s in 2.2 have been fine for a lot longer.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What is mis-shaping?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Issues with Hans Dampf? 😮 Everyone keeps telling me how they’re the best thing ever and I keep thinking about them as I’m told grip is great and tough sidewall so considering for alipine use without the need for full on DH tyres.

Hmm. I’ve been pretty happy with the Maxxis stuff to be honest and never have issues with them tubeless. The all too common Minion and HR combo. Though mainly it’s the Minion DHF I like. Just slices through crud, keeps a straight line and grips well enough for me. Cornering some argue about due to the dead zone between top and side but not had an issue. The HR at the back, maybe not the greatest but just acts as a workhorse and powers through crud and rolls/corners well for me.

Friends have had issues with Minion/HR tubeless on UST rims though, but I’ve not (this is running the non-tubless ready that pretty much is tubless ready). Maybe different rims make the difference, or just that I stick 3 to 4 cups of sealant in.

Also had recommendation to go Minion DHF front and back (rear reversed), and that from people who like shredding the gnar.

Things putting me off the Hans Dampf… some reviews saying no good in mud, that they’re draggy, they apparently wear fast especially the trailstar which is recommended up front, and the cost.

jedi

the rq’s deform an kink on landing and cant be reused. the hans dampfs burp and shred too easily.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

has to be able to handle singltrack and airtime

Maxxis with EXO, though I did burp an Ardent but it was casing onto something that would have killed a tubed tyre. One thing you didn’t mention is landings – I find most take off fine, but landing is always the issue….

Fast rolling ardent, destroyer of trail minion (lakes tested).Ardent Fr Minion Rear for me as it’s heading into winter here. Minion HR combo far too strange mixing round/square tyres for me.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Just switched to an igniter lust 2.3 front and Larsen lust 2.0 on back. Seems a pretty awesome combo so far.

jedi

mike, i mention that in the post above you 😀
    my mate nolan had his front rubber queens do the same on sunday off a drop resulting in a crash

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Issues with Hans Dampf? Everyone keeps telling me how they’re the best thing ever and I keep thinking about them as I’m told grip is great and tough sidewall so considering for alipine use without the need for full on DH tyres.

Hmm. I’ve been pretty happy with the Maxxis stuff to be honest and never have issues with them tubeless. The all too common Minion and HR combo. Though mainly it’s the Minion DHF I like. Just slices through crud, keeps a straight line and grips well enough for me. Cornering some argue about due to the dead zone between top and side but not had an issue. The HR at the back, maybe not the greatest but just acts as a workhorse and powers through crud and rolls/corners well for me.

Friends have had issues with Minion/HR tubeless on UST rims though, but I’ve not (this is running the non-tubless ready that pretty much is tubless ready). Maybe different rims make the difference, or just that I stick 3 to 4 cups of sealant in.

Also had recommendation to go Minion DHF front and back (rear reversed), and that from people who like shredding the gnar.

Things putting me off the Hans Dampf… some reviews saying no good in mud, that they’re draggy, they apparently wear fast especially the trailstar which is recommended up front, and the cost.

Why would you reverse the a DHF on the back? Never heard of that before. I’ve raced on DHF’s (F&R) for years. I’ve got some Spec Butcher Controls on the trail bike, basically as they are a lighter, tubeless ready slightly evolved Minion, which is a good thing

I’m quite outspoken round these parts about my opinion on the Hans Dampfs (I think they are awful in short).

If you like Maxxis, and want something that will be fine for the Alps, just get the EXO versions of your favourite.

_tom_
    Free Member

Not tried em tubeless but I’m really happy with my Specialized Clutch SX tyres. People say they dont roll very fast though but I’ve never noticed it being a problem!

stevied
    Free Member

I’ll be going EXO when I have the cash to change. Blew both of my single ply non-tubeless Maxxis (ran tubeless with Stans) on an uplift @ FoD this week. Possibly due to too low pressure but the skinny walls didn’t help for sure.
    Will, hopefully, be trying a DHR II on the back (although they seem to be very good for front too) and a bigger Minion up front..

deadkenny
    Free Member

Hob Nob – Member
    Why would you reverse the a DHF on the back? Never heard of that before. I’ve raced on DHF’s (F&R) for years

I’m not too sure on the why but I know people who do and search around the net and there’s much talk on it. From what I can tell the idea is it gives better traction under drive, but doesn’t mean better rolling and has less grip(?) under braking. Or something like that.

Jedi – a suggestion coming from the Swinley FB group after pointing out this thread – Maxxis Advantage. To quote “Its light enough for the size, and grips well. Its got a big enough volume for his needs”.

Wouldn’t know myself and obviously tyre choice is subjective.

akira

Butcher front and Purgatory rear for me, went up tubeless fine and survived Sierra Nevada rocks for a week. Decent price as well.

zelak999
    Free Member

I’m going to try the new tubeless ready High Roller II when I can get hold of them.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Mis shaping is probably due to not seating correctly, bang some more air in and do it properly!

ridethelakes
    Free Member

The new hans dampf supergravity tlr tyre carcass is a game changer. Its downhill tough for an incredible weight (950grams for a 2.35 which is more like a 2.5).

They’re a pretty tight fit too. If they burped I would be amazed.

Gotama
    Free Member

I’ve just created a premature end to my ride after burping a purgatory control, albeit 29er if that makes a difference, on a flow rim landing a tiny jump with the back slightly off centre so I wouldn’t recommend those personally. Might wait and try the new maxxis dhr 2 as I believe they’re now tubeless ready….even though the old ones blew up fine. Or might try one of the on one tyres for mucho cheapness.

wilko1999
    Free Member

zelak, same here. Nextdaytyres have the 2.3 tubeless ready’s coming in either tomorrow or early next week. I’ve reserved a pair for collection

dantsw13

Wouldn’t going full UST resolve the burping issue? Much more secure bead than TLR?

zelak999
    Free Member

Hey wilko, top tip I will give NDT a call to reserve some.
    Have you gone for the Dual or the 3C?
    Maybe one of each?

chiefgrooveguru

Tony I’d have a look at the Specialized SX tyres. They’re like 1.5 ply, not as slow as dual ply, much tougher than single ply. The single ply Specialized tyres go up tubeless really easily, I’ve had a Purgatory before, just ordered a Butcher (like a halfway house Minion – between 2.35 and 2.5 in size, between 42a and 60a in stickiness, but not heavy and not that slow). Looks like they don’t do the Butcher SX anymore but Clutch SX is available.

Personally I very much like the 2.2 UST Rubber Queens but I’m not hitting anything anywhere near as hard as you! At the price of them I would not be happy if they buckled and died, I expect a £40+ tyre to last until there’s no rubber left on it…

akira

Clutch SX is not fast rolling but is pretty grippy, wouldnt use as a general purpose tyre as you can practically feel it slowing you down on anything but down.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Finances dictated 2 x dual compound. My usual tyres have always been 2.35 60a High Rollers front and rear anyway, so should be a good replacement for them

iamroughrider
    Free Member

Jedi, consider these . They are an ok weight, roll amazingly offroad and on hardpack, clear mud, grip well in the summer and I feel as confident on the downhill sections as with High Rollers. They’re tough too and wear really well. Only downside is they have a raised knobbles around the edge and I’ve found the leaning the bike right over on wet concrete can cause them to get loose.

halo

Clobber
    Free Member

I think the maxxis advantage exo is a good suggestion, never had any trouble with them and they roll well enough and bounce off the rocks. No burping tubeless either. The 2.4 is a really nice volume too.

Also chunky monkey is great but slower than an advantage, made by maxxis with the exo carcass, so i’ve heard….

rewski
    Free Member

I’m loving my tubeless slant 6 front and block 8 rear combo, super fast on the flinty chalk and dry singletrack round my way, no burping as yet, I don’t get that much air but they seem pretty sturdy, hassle free fitting with track pump too.

Might be a different story if it rains though.

jam-bo

i really rate maxxis advantages. light-ish, roll well, drift predictably and don’t seem to pick up many flats with them.

grip the air well for whips and stuff…

jedi

they are seated properly and have 40 psi!

pymwymis
    Free Member

Just got some Bonty XR4 after reading good things about them – interestingly they are also features in this months Singletrack mag.

I use them tubeless on 26er American Classics. Went up first time with track pump, roll really well until you get to mud where they have grip but do drag as they are large 2.2 in rear and 2.35 up front. Run them at mid 30’s psi to avoid rim dings as best I can.

Masses of grip in both wet and dry, hard pack or loose very confidence inspiring oh yes, they are pretty light all things considered.

All in all very happy – £36 each which seems pretty average these days.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘hmmmm tyres’ is closed to new replies.