Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Hmmm, thats gonna cost ya!!!
  • almightydutch
    Free Member

Its never too long before I hear off the landlord of my garage. He’s notoriously hard on his bikes and doesn’t seem to have much mechanical knowledge at all. Combine this with infrequent servicing (read: when it breaks) and you get the picture.

So this weekend he calls me and said his rear hub is knackered and not clicking anymore and while I have the bike do I mind servicing it as its never been done.

Spent Sunday in the garage cleaning and stripping the bike down and while the rear hub is easily sortable with some new springs (Hope Hub and the usual pawl spring disintergration) I’m afraid the same cannot be said other parts of his bike.

RS SID Forks starting to show stanction wear…

Not really much I can do about that for him, its nice and smooth but it will want a set of bushes and seals to try and eliminate further wear but usually once they go they don’t stop.

Anyway, I don’t really think that’s his main issue, as you can see from the snaps below that his rear triangle may just give up the ghost at any time. No issues with the carbon, but the piss poor aluminium dropout connecting the chaistays to the seatstays are fracturing. Looks to be fatigue over time and not sure what he can actually do about it. I fear drilling and welding the damage would compromise the bond with the carbon stays. I might be wrong but I think professional advice is required to sort that little issue out.
    [img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3817/12035582796_2d5c33bbf1_c.jpg[/img]

alexpalacefan

Seems like you’ve done a really good job there, well spotted.

APF

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Hmmm, thats gonna cost ya!!!’ is closed to new replies.