Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Hmmm….. slightly 'moral' work question
  • theotherjonv

we have a visitor from another company next week. I’ve never met him, don’t know him apart from a brief email exchange. I don’t know what he likes or doesn’t like, hobbies and interests, etc. Why is this relevant you may ask……

He’s booked his own hotel in a nearby small town. Not one I’d heard of. When I told my colleague where he was staying she burst out laughing ‘But that’s not a hotel, it’s a brothel!’

A quick work-safe google reveals it did have a past reputation, but now has rebranded as an ‘adults only intimate luxury’ hotel. With fittings for adult swings in every room 😯 And googling it leads to google coming back with the search term plus other phrases such as ‘swinging’ and ‘swingers parties’.

a/ is it still a knocking shop?
    b/ do i inform my guest in advance?
    c/ Do i offer to meet him there for dinner

benp1

d/ film it, bribe him, make money

Stevet1
    Free Member

e) that’s why he chose it.

bencooper
    Free Member

c/ Do i offer to meet meat him there for dinner

FTFY

perchypanther
    Free Member

c/ Do i offer to meet him there for dinner

Get him to take you to the pictures first. You’re not a slag.

martinhutch

Ring up the hotel, pretend to be him, book him some extras.

theotherjonv

e/ is the dilemma.

If i call him and inform him of its reputation and he already knows it, and has picked it for that reason it could be a bit embarrassing for him to admit he’s a sex-maniac.

If i don’t mention it and he arrives at our office on Monday morning with PTSD and a ‘why didn’t you say anything?’ – that too could be a bit of a problem.

He is from one of the more enlightended countries, I’m inclined towards not even mentioning it and just hope he doesn’t intend to make small talk with how he spent the evening balls deep in a succession of home counties housewives while their husbands watched on.

Cougar

You’d never heard of the place, it’s reasonable to assume that you wouldn’t vet his accommodation choice. I’d go with feigning ignorance.

The real burning question though is, how did your female co-worker know?

perchypanther
    Free Member

just hope he doesn’t intend to make small talk with how he spent the evening balls deep in a succession of home counties housewives your female co-workers while their husbands watched on.

Now that would be awkward

theotherjonv

Ignorance is a good point. Although googling it to find the address so i can pick him up monday morning fairly quickly reveals its chequered history as mentioned before.

My co-worker…. serious answer; she grew up in the nearby small town.

Unserious answer; next performance review may have some slightly different questions to usual.

willard

I’d almost be more worried about whether it was on his company’s approved hotels list and whether he could claim it back on expenses after the trip.

theotherjonv

just hope he doesn’t intend to make small talk with how he spent the evening balls deep in a succession of home counties housewives your female co-workers while their husbands watched on.

I just hope they’re making more from it than we’re paying them.

And of course declaring it all to the taxman.

I’d almost be more worried about whether it was on his company’s approved hotels list and whether he could claim it back on expenses after the trip.

These enlightened countries have it covered with a per diem amount allowed by their taxman and no need to receipt up to that level…….

robdob
    Free Member

Did he ask you to check it out beforehand?
    Did he appear to be angling for your approval of the place when he told you about it?

If both are no I wouldn’t say a thing. He won’t know you’ve checked it out so nothing to worry about. You didn’t know yourself!

growinglad
    Free Member

Is he cuming from Finland?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

He’s booked his own hotel

You don’t need to do anything; he’s a grown up!

theotherjonv

Imagine licking the rear of that……

martinhutch

He looks like a happy Finnish.

perchypanther
    Free Member

He looks like a happy Finnish.

Well played. 😀

hels
    Free Member

For goodness sake stop being so British – phone him, say “do you know that is a sex hotel ?”

He will say either:

“yes – of course I know this” cos lets face it, if he did this on purpose on a work trip he has zero shame about it.

“oh no, I had no idea, thanks for telling me” – giving him the option to change hotel or perhaps have some good old fashioned shame about it.

antigee

f/ it’s possible some poor junior in his company has just googled a nearby hotel and not looked at the services

unlikely but I’ve travelled with people who didn’t have a clue about the type of bar they’d spotted from a cab and others that thought anything that moved in a car park at night could and should be expensed

if your job is to build some sort of business relationship I’d just call him up and ask him – say you’d normally do dinner but if he’s got other plans…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is the awkward problem for the OP that he doesn’t know how to ask for an invite?

freeagent
    Free Member

Leave him to it.. You’ve never heard of the hotel.

If he hasn’t researched where he is staying properly, and this isn’t what he wants, then he is about to learn an important lesson in business travel.

theotherjonv

hels and others, I’m not that bothered, just thought it was slightly humorous set of circumstances that knowing the SoH of STW as a whole might create an interesting thread.

the past reputation was apparently justified, but is not now. They have kept it as an adults only ‘intimate’ hotel and the swinging reputation might have some foundation (they do allow people to book it for private functions of all sorts…) but in a small town with relatively few hotels they also cater for business travellers with free wifi, a small copying / printing suite, etc.

I have no fears my guest is a big enough boy to handle his own affairs.

wallop

I have a client who is the Local Authority. They are planning a new office development in a local town – I’ve recently had to tell them that the name they had planned to call it is also the name of a strip club in a nearby city…

ads678

So where it this ‘Hotel’ and what was it called again…………..

jimmy

so, err, where is this place? just in case I have need to visit your town and I can avoid it.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

It’s his lookout. Who doesn’t google a hotel and check location, rating, facilities before booking?. He’s either a fool or a punter. Let him get on with it.

matt_outandabout

It’s his lookout. Who doesn’t google a hotel and check location, rating, facilities before booking?. He’s either a fool or a punter. Let him get on with it.

+1

cp

He’s booked his own hotel

and is probably hoping you don’t google it to see how he spends his personal time 😉

hels
    Free Member

There is of course the other option, finding out which room he is in, sneaking in and covering yourself entirely in strawberry jam.

CheesybeanZ

Perhaps hes bringing his wife with him who gets bored while hes at the office …

theotherjonv

There is of course the other option, finding out which room he is in, sneaking in and covering yourself entirely in strawberry jam.

That would be a heck of a load of those little jars of Tiptree’s.

For those interested where it is. i couldn’t possibly say, but just supposing you were going to walk the North Downs way and fancied a restful night before starting….. maybe avoid the ‘hotel that’s full of life’.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Hmmm….. slightly 'moral' work question’ is closed to new replies.