Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Hive mind-recommend me a hydration bladder that tastes ok..
  • toys19
    Free Member

I hate the taste of plastic so much that I have taken to using stainless steel bottles, which I love, but with Spain imminent I am thinking I need to consider weight and maybe should use a hydration bladder.
    I need 3 litre reservoir to fit my new wingnut adventure, any recommendations for a reservoir and hose system that tastes ok??

06awjudd
    Free Member

I wash mine out thoroughly before each ride and it tastes fine…. it only tastes of plastic when the water is left there for any period of time.

GrahamS

Never had a bad plastic taste from my Camelbak.

When I sterilise stuff with Milton tablets I then fill them with water and a few good scoops of Bicarbonate of Soda. That seems to do a pretty good job of neutralising the Milton taste so maybe try that?

Simon

Never had a plastic taste from my Camelbak

This.

avdave2

I’ve found the source one I have very good. It’s got the slider type closer so is easy to clean and dry. I’ve never noticed any plasticky taste even when it’s hot.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

I know exactly the horrid taste you describe but not everyone seem to be able to taste it. I bought every hydration bladder available and the only ones that haven’t got that taste is the ones from Nalgene that comes with Osprey bags (or buy just the bladders separately).

hammyuk
    Free Member

Hydrapack are the best I’ve ever used.
    Slidelock opening, quick release hose, strong enough to turn inside out to clean.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I wash my camelbak out and squeeze the water through the tube then store it in the freezer, it doesn’t taste of anything.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Source. The best. Blacks might still be doing a complete bladder and rucsac for 25 quid.

johnnystorm

Camelback flushed and then frozen. Sorted.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Camelback tastes of water – though most tap water tastes crap (grew up with our own spring)

06awjudd
    Free Member

(grew up with our own spring)

that sounds amazing! Very cider with rosie!

Northwind

Til a sheep dies in it upstream anyway 😆

Ironically, I’ve got a Source bottle and it’s the only bladder-ey thing I’ve got that has a taste, neither of my camelbaks do. Well, as long as they’re not full of mould.

Trekster

Try using mint Steradent tablets to clean/flush bladders 💡

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Try using a weak electrolyte solution / energy powder / lemon cordial instead of plain water?

Neve noticed any plasticky taste from camelbak bladders. As stated above – the freezer is the best place to keep them.

avdave2

Camelback tastes of water – though most tap water tastes crap (grew up with our own spring)

I only ever use our spring to fill the moat. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I only ever use our spring to fill the moat.

I fill mine with bottled Hildon.

FWIW, I have found Osprey to be the best at resisting ‘that’ flavour that occurs. Oh, and regular treatment with Milton tablets/fluid and/or freezing is the way ahead.

mangatank
    Free Member

Source is the best I’ve tried, having used Hydrapac, Camelback and Osprey. The source has an extremely shiny interior making it much easier to keep clean too.

Source Bladder

karen805
    Free Member

Very impressed with my Dakine hydration pack, replaced a Camelbac which I didn’t get on with too well.

The Dakine you can release the hose from and turn inside out to clean, much easier than a Camelbac.

toys19
    Free Member

Ok feedback time.
    I bought this Evoc bladder, and used it for a week in bubion. It tasted disgusting, plasticcy. Yuk. Given that lost of you above have said that your baldder only ever tastes of water, I am beginning to think I must be extra sensitive to these things..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did anyone suggest the evoc one?

toys19
    Free Member

Well yes, a mate. And someone up there suggested Hydrapak, who make the EVOC one (and numerous others, Poc, vaude, dakine). Your point being?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You started a thread asking what bladder and picked the one nobody suggested. Just thought it was a bit strange. Did you not (pardon the expression) have a suck on your mates evoc before buying?

Try camelback

toys19
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. I have had a camelback, and it did not taste nice. And someone did suggest the brand I bought. I don’t get what you are driving at. I’m just offering feedback on the bladder I bought, I also recognise that perhaps I have a sensitive set of taste buds. What exactly is your issue with any of this?

hammyuk
    Free Member

You did clean and sterilise it before using it?
    FWIW – I have a Hydrapac and a Columbia (made by Hydrapac) and neither have EVER tasted of anything other than the drink out in them.
    Are you sure the Evoc one is Hydrapac?

toys19
    Free Member

It is not the black mould thing that other people do not like, so no I did not sterilise it(also hate the taste of milton). But I did rinse it, a lot, before use. The evoc one is defo hydrapak, has the hydrapak logo and:
    links that claim evoc is hydrapak.
    http://www.ceiger.com/evoc-hydrapak-bladder-2l
    http://www.hydrapak.com/bike-radar-bladder-review/ (ie hydrapak say that they make the evoc bladder)

gordimhor

Use any old bladder.( .be quiet at the back) clean it with steradent flush through the tube and rinse with water store in the freezer . Job done.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The only one I’ve ever noticed was a cheep one from Trespass.

Camelback seems fine and so was my old Lezyne one (no idea who made it, wasn’t a ziplock closing, similar, but no ‘zip’). Lezyne went mouldy quite quickly though, partialy my fault, but it did seem unusualy quick.

Camelback + freezer and dilute orange squash if it does taste of anything.

Del

I must be extra sensitive

you do strike me as a bit of a delicate flower. 😉

toys19
    Free Member

Its true Del..

avdave2

Perhaps we could all line up for you with our full bladders and you could walk down the line, have a quick suck and tell us who tastes best.

hammyuk
    Free Member

There’s your issue – sterilising it will help remove any manufacturing residue – have to remember it’s plastic after all so is going to have “that taste” until you neutralise it.

avdave2 – Member
    Perhaps we could all line up for you with our full bladders and you could walk down the line, have a quick suck and tell us who tastes best.

I’m up for that as long as it’s Cinnamongirl, Adjustablewench, Emz, et al doing the tasting……….

nedrapier

You’ve already said you’re not sure if any recommenders’ tastes are as refined as yours, but just in case you’re in the mood: another vote for the Source bladders here. Very unplasticky tasting to me.

toys19
    Free Member

I will try the sterilize thing (I’m skeptical, but might as well), thanks for the recommendation. If that fails then ned I shall try a source.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Hive mind-recommend me a hydration bladder that tastes ok..’ is closed to new replies.