Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Hive advice,lump of concrete appeared in garden
  • duckman

I got a note from Scottish water last week telling me they would have to turn off my water for a while to carry out work. Got home last night and that was in my front garden. Now there is a communal bit of ground at the front of the house that was marked with slabs turned side on. but it was way off,I have 9m from my house according to the plans,the so called open ground infringes this by 500mm (something I did point out) this hydrant is within my land. Now last night I walked the dog and notices that the few I saw had all been put on unused bits of ground with the little sign stating the hydrant was 15m SW etc.

So sledgehammer time? 😈

crankboy
    Free Member

No picture for me?

duckman

It is a water hydrant.

Duane…
    Free Member

Build a shed around it, use it as a ground anchor.

roger_mellie

Phone Scottish Water. Explain the problem. Ask them to move it?
    Those things have steel rods reinforcing the concrete, so taking a sledgehammer to it may become a bit tedious.

duckman

Genius idea,problem is that I have a suspicion it might not be bedded too well into the concrete they put it in with….

br
    Free Member

So its 500mm out? Not sure you’ll notice the difference if they move it…

bruneep

Is it concreted in? It may well be just dug in if so just pull it out.

stumpyjon

Is there a pavement, if not how far is it from the kerb? On our estate the first metre or so back from the road is a service strip, no pavement, looks like garden, people maintain it but it’s not theirs.

pictonroad

meh, it’s a crowded island, infrastructure is important, take pride in keeping it shiny.

portlyone

It’s a form of possession. Maybe they’re trying to claim your property 50cm at a time…

fasthaggis

irc

Now there is a communal bit of ground at the front of the house that was marked with slabs turned side on. but it was way off,I have 9m from my house according to the plans,the so called open ground infringes this by 500mm

Well you can hardly expect Scottish Water to have a copy of your title deeds. They are obviously going to go by the markers on the ground.

Why haven’t you moved the marker slabs to the correct position?

talltom
    Free Member

[/url][/img]

generally not concreted in – just dig it up and ‘lose’ it??

cue lots of confused faces when they come to fit plate

duckman

I have no problem with the hydrant,but on the rest of the estate they have put them on the open spaces, with instructions to where the water is, eg 15m SW. Even if they had put it in line with the bush to the right of the pic (which is where the pigging water is)it wouldn’t be the first thing I see when I open my blinds. It is actually almost as far away from the cover as it can be and still be in my garden. There is no pavement,just the service strip.Maybe I will get used to it….aye right.

johnellison
    Free Member

Contact SW and get them to rectify their mistake, if you can show that they are mistaken.

Otherwise, expect a hefty bill from them for repair/replacement if it gets damaged/lost.

jekkyl

take another pic in daylight, it’s difficult to see whats what. ta

dashed
    Free Member

So you’ve spoken to Scottish Water now then?? What did they say?

Or did you just post on STW and hope the problem would resolve itself??

enfht
    Free Member

What would Mel Gibson do?

duckman

I have spoken to Scottish Water,the nice Lady was phoning me right back at 8am this morning,maybe my phone is broken. Of course I am unsure how she will get to the bottom of it as she had no record of any works being carried out on the estate I live in for the last three years.

Otherwise, expect a hefty bill from them for repair/replacement if it gets damaged/lost.

Can they can bill me for removing a concrete post somebody had put in my garden without permission? Of course I may be willing to put up with it and charge rent on it, obviously subject to way above inflation rises and paid in advance (that should seem familiar to SW)

jon1973
    Free Member

Probably get drunk and punch someone.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is your garden not council property anyway? 😛

duckman

Thats right DD,made me move the car on bricks off it and everything.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Brilliant photo by the way. 😆

duckman

Shows how much I care about my work, heading off in the dark,PS don’t go too far from STW; I am fairly confident that I will be wanting to discuss the rugby with you….

oliverd1981
    Free Member

It’s not a hydrant as such – it’s a “valve marker post” there faceplace is meant to have the distance and direction of the shutoff valves buried under your street tomake it easier for them to dig down to them in an emergency. No need for it to be any where obtrusive. If it keeps going missing they will get the point.

spooky_b329

Attach your house number to it.

With a note underneath stating ‘private property, no trespassing’ 🙂

andywoods
    Free Member

move it 10m to one side then call them out saying theres a problem and they need to turn water off, watch in the confusion as guys look around marker for valve 😆

maccruiskeen

There are times when even Mel Gibson doesn’t know what Mel Gibson would do. Then, later, he wakes up in jail.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Hive advice,lump of concrete appeared in garden’ is closed to new replies.