Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Hit the North update – Samba Band and explosives content
  • Harry_the_Spider

Right then…

We’ve had an interesting exchange with our caterers who cover a strange mixture of events – Cycling, live action role play and military re-enactments. We asked them if they knew anybody who had a cannon to start the race and the said “oh yes”. Then they said that they also know somebody who does pyrotechnics if we want to use them. Does The Pope poo in the woods?!

We are also trying to hire a Samba Band.

So, if all goes to plan and the council let us, MTFU Hill will be like some sort of Saving Private Ryan meets the Rio Carnival cross over. Think Assault On Precinct 13 featuring Carman Miranda.

I’m not sure that has happened before at a bike race.

Tickets are selling fast and at this rate will be gone quite soon. http://www.hitthenorth.net

binners

Have you thought about snipers in the trees Harry? With Bugsy Malone style splat guns?

Harry_the_Spider

Have you signed up yet? 😉

derek_starship
    Free Member

As a grand finale, piece de resistance, magnum opus and all that, can we blow up the samba band? Perhaps encourage some council employees to join in too…

Harry_the_Spider

Perhaps. We have to hold a few surprises back for the big day.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Think Assault On Precinct 13 featuring Carman Miranda.

😆

Brilliant.

D0NK

awesome, this is just sounding better and betterer

binners

Signed up a while back mate. The Field of Despair sounds like it’ll be greatly enlivened with some IED’s 😀

Harry_the_Spider

If Conrad Murray had got off we would have hired him to hand out the mint balls.

RustySpanner

Harry_the_Spider – Member

If Conrad Murray had got off we would have hired him to hand out the mint balls.

The way I felt after last years, I’d have accepted one.

Signed up, of course – 😀

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ve just added Sham 69 to the ‘while the brass band are having a fag break’ HTN playlist.

Any requests?

nbt

Any requests?

Fields of the Nephilim?

Failing that, Firestarter 😉

binners

Can I have some Prodigy please mate? Smack my Bitch up would do nicely, so I can duff Hora up in between laps. He loves it 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Any requests?

Can we have this played at the start?

http://youtu.be/cRj01LShXN8

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRj01LShXN8[/video]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

A deployment of a special crack SSSD unit is looking increasingly likely. Thanks to Comrade Binners for his co-operation; come the Day of Reckoning, you at least Binners, will be spared.

Smack my Bitch up would do nicely, so I can duff Hora up in between laps. He loves it

Is entry for the Hora Hurting event limited, or can anyone and everyone get involved?

ratswithwings
    Free Member

What about SKREWDRIVER Back with A Bang! Great song and relates to the pyrotechnic theme.

MrSparkle

What about SKREWDRIVER Back with A Bang! Great song and relates to the pyrotechnic theme.

Thanks for your input Nick Griffin.

Harry_the_Spider

For our Southern guests.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwtSdJaPCSI[/video]

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Looks like I might wander up north and join the festivities. Do I bring my own explosives?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hmm. As a brown person, I’d kind of prefer it if songs by a baynd known to have espoused far-right neo-Nazi racist ideology weren’t played, tbh. 😐

But in a bizarre twist, Skrewdriver once boasted one Mark Radcliffe on drums, who of course went on to host the Radio 5 programme Hit the North!

(Although this was before the baynd descended into nastiness, it must be pointed out)

Well I never….

terrahawk
    Free Member

blimey. For a second I actually thought someone suggested we play some neo-fascist laugh-a-minute beat combo Skrewdriver at HTN…
    I must be imagining it.

😯

RustySpanner

This one for me, ta:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEag0ss9pFU[/video]

tthew

I can play that on my Ukulele 😀

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Blimey I only thought the music might be in line with one of the organisers use of language on their blog.

Namely, the Industrial fell blog daftest ride redux posting with the lovely use of ‘gyp’. Obviously a reference to gypsy. Thanks for that one.

“The route is best described as a monster. Approximately 130 miles, 15000-ish feet of vertical ascent and several really big hills..nay, mountains to ride over. Most of the route is off-road and plenty of unrideable, ‘hike-a-bike’ sections to ensure the calves get plenty of gyp.”

RustySpanner

tthew – Member

I can play that on my Ukulele

You play that for us your uke in the pub afterwards Matthew and you shall have free beer for as long as your little heart desires. 😀

RustySpanner

ratswithwings – Member

Blimey I only thought the music might be in line with one of the organisers use of language on their blog.

Namely, the Industrial fell blog daftest ride redux posting with the lovely use of ‘gyp’. Obviously a reference to gypsy. Thanks for that one.

“The route is best described as a monster. Approximately 130 miles, 15000-ish feet of vertical ascent and several really big hills..nay, mountains to ride over. Most of the route is off-road and plenty of unrideable, ‘hike-a-bike’ sections to ensure the calves get plenty of gyp.”

It’s the ‘Chippy Tea’ thread all over again. 🙁

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Nah not really it’s all about HAIL THE NEW DAWN.

Harry_the_Spider

Source – http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-gyp2.htm

Q. From Joan Wilton, Canada: My father-in-law often referred to something painful as giving me gyp. This does not seem to correlate to the other meaning of ‘cheat’. Any suggestions?

A. Gyp is a moderately common expression, mainly in the UK, but also in Commonwealth countries, though my gut feeling is that it’s now mostly used by older people. It appears in fixed phrases that refer to some part of the body being painful, as in this example from the London Evening Standard in August 2003: “I turned my ankle in the game and it’s still giving me gyp.”
    The other meaning you give has no connection — it’s a derogatory term that is usually said to derive from the word gypsy. The sense of pain seems to be connected with a northern English dialect word, variously spelled gip or jip, that only ever appeared in the form “to give somebody or something jip”. It could mean to give a person or an object a sound thrashing (one example is of a man giving a carpet a beating), or generally to treat roughly or to cause pain.

RustySpanner

ratswithwings – Member

Nah not really it’s all about HAIL THE NEW DAWN.

She is looking lovely, isn’t she?

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Looks like a get out clause to me.

Rusty, you can have her with your chippy tea though I personally thought Dawn has always looked fine.

Harry_the_Spider

Looks like a get out clause to me.

What does?

Dictionary definition.

gyp n. only in giving a person gyp colloq. severely punish or hurt him. [orig. uncert.]

RustySpanner

Hands up

You’ve got him bang to rights there.

ratswithwings
    Free Member

I disagree – Orig. uncert.

Terribly sorry for bothering, I better go!!!

Harry_the_Spider

You can apologise any time you like for accusing us of racism BTW.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

WT….

😕

Even I’m not getting involved in this…

terrahawk
    Free Member

When I wrote that I was referring to ‘pain, suffering, etc’ rather than travellers or gypsies.
    how would my calves get plenty of gypsies?

what a pillock. first the Skrewdriver suggestion and now this.

binners

What on earth is going on here then?

MrSparkle

A dickhead appeared from far right.

RustySpanner

Has he entered a team?

Should be easy to spot:

Harry_the_Spider

If he has he’s getting a refund.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Hit the North update – Samba Band and explosives content’ is closed to new replies.