• This topic has 190 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 191 total)
  • Hit me with your best examples of management bollocks speak.
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

To cut a long story short, we’ve got a new line manager coming who is known as the Ginger Riddler due to his love of speaking in management bullshit. I need as many examples as possible of this type of crap so we can all amuse ourselves by firing it back at him. I don’t care what any of it means. Cheers.

IHN

Firstly, we have signed a transformational outsourcing deal with xxxx which will deliver an increase to our cost synergies from the £112m per annum in 2013, which we will still hit on time, to £143m per annum by 2015. This deal de-risks the embedded value, contractualises the delivery of the cost synergies, and it de-risks the execution of our plans, allowing us to focus on the other opportunities we have as a business.

Beat that.

doris5000

I think you need to evidence some of these riddles. Bring them to life a bit.

sandwicheater

I don’t care what any of it means

Well in that case;

‘I’ll sh1t in your slippers while watching you sleep’

splorer

Can you assess phasing the costings based on potential inflection points when choosing fungible solutions

jonnyboi

I’m actually in a room with a Microsoft rep right now, he’s currently ‘envisioning the journey’

tomhoward

Ringfence his unicorn

lunge

The below is our office “bull…. bingo” list. It is very possible to get them all into 1 conversation if played well.

??? piece (context, “we’re doing a lot of work on the data migration piece”)
    Best in breed
    Break through the clutter
    Calibrate expectations
    Class leading
    Close the loop
    Customer centric
    Disruptive innovation
    Elevator pitch
    Fulfilment issues
    Herding cats
    High order thinking
    It is what it is
    Just doing my job
    Leverage
    Low hanging fruit
    Mission critical
    Money maker
    Par for the course
    Paradigm shift
    Quick and dirty
    Synergy
    Thought leadership
    Value add
    Have a V2V
    Bayonet the dead
    Let’s not try and boil the ocean
    Sometimes you have to shoot the puppy.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Our Chief Operating Officer of the £100m a year turnover company I work for stood up the end of the last meeting I was at with him, a couple of weeks ago and said……

“Right, ya bunch o’ ****s…..Let’s do this shit!”

We sat in dazed silence, slightly dumbfounded, until he broke the spell by declaring….

“On ye go! Get tae f….”

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Sorry, 8 posts in, and we’ve yet to get our ducks in a row?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

“Going forward” makes my skin crawl. Not even really related to managers, most people seem to say it.
    I prefer “in the future”

Stupid.is
    Free Member

I have recently had the word “verbge” used to describe a block of text. Oh did the tapioca rise in my gullet.

P-Jay
    Free Member

jonnyboi – Member
    I’m actually in a room with a Microsoft rep right now, he’s currently ‘envisioning the journey’

Oh shit fire, I think I’ve heard that one too.

‘Pathways’ are talked about a lot these days, I still don’t know what they mean by that.

Coyote
    Free Member

“Let’s run it up the flag pole and see who salutes.”

“Throw it at a wall and see what sticks.”

Obviously “Ring fence the unicorn”.

#edit

“Thought shower” has been a suggestion and we do seem to be going on a lot of “journeys” of late despite racking up no mileage.

iainc

one I hear a bit :

let’s have a ‘deep dive conversation’…..

lunge

“Let me give you my elevator pitch. We don’t go after the low hanging fruit or a quick and dirty offering, we break through clutter to leverage a class leading, customer centric solution to your fulfilment issues, we will calibrate your expectations to ensure you no longer expect par for the course. We’re not trying to boil the ocean here, it is what it is, but what we do is offer a paradigm shift that is a real value add money maker, this is mission critical work and we want to offer synergy between the client piece and the best in breed offering that you have. In truth this is thought leadership that means you’re not herding cats as you bayonet the dead. Let’s not try to build the ocean here, let’s have a V2V and I can explain the high order thinking that is really me just doing my job.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

“flow down”

…like sewage.

Philby

Narrative seems to be used alot these days as in ‘this the new narrative’.
    ‘Anyhoo’ annoys me particularly when used at work.
    Systemic is overused IMO
    ‘From the get go’ makes me cringe – seems to be used alot by sports commentators as well

Mister-P
    Free Member

Was that an Amazon employee Iainc? We had an “operational top line reset”.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Just start making up your own.

Let’s feed this dog some beetroot.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

work across the matrix

CaptJon
    Free Member

“Consultation” where i work means being told what will happen (whether we like it or not).

IHN

lunge – is that real?

The scary thing is that mine was 😯

jimster01

“I hear what your saying” – I’m going to do eff all about it

iainc

Mister P – Member
    Was that an Amazon employee Iainc?

nope, multinational consultancy

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

reorient information vectors

AdamT

We have product ‘landing zones’ and ‘swim lanes’. So many TLA’s that we have a Skype chatbot to help decipher them.

richmtb

digital transformation
    takes this offline

perchypanther
    Free Member

Splatter the letterbox.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Perchy is full of win today.

Everything is ‘stories’ here. Presumably they’re like journeys, but you don’t need any bus money.

lunge

Sort of real, not verbatim but pretty close, I work in recruitment, we get this crap all too regularly…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Break out the emergency flags, we need to de-cream this cat.

thegreatape
    Free Member

My gaffer (not the culprit of this situation) yesterday either came up with or had heard/read ‘Can I stir fry something in your think wok?’

perchypanther
    Free Member

‘Can I stir fry something in your think wok?’

😯

Set Bombers to Own

frankconway

The best bosses I’ve had were those who (co-incidentally?) talked in plain english because they understood the subject, had no need to try to impress and were confident in their abilities.

+1 for detesting ‘going forward’;

@lunge – good selection there; a few for your bullshit bingo…..thought shower, enhanced granularity (and any other type of granularity), step change (just because i don’t like it).
    +1 for envisioning, deep dive and pathways.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

‘Can I stir fry something in your think wok?

you owe me a new keyboard, this one now has extreme coffee ingress

frankconway

Lunge wins the internet today for that masterpiece of management boll**ks.
    It shows a real paradigm shift and a reset of expectations.

km79
    Free Member

Some good ideas here, let’s put them all in the car park for now and we can drive them away later.

slowoldman

I think nowadays you need to curate something too. It doesn’t matter what.

BigJohn

Having been in the corporate world for many years I had heard most, accepted the validity of many, and used some buzz phrases myself.

But when I asked the vendor of a project management tool if they used it themselves I was startled to hear the straight-faced reply “Oh we eat our own dogfood”.

Apparently, in some circles, it’s well known.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 191 total)

The topic ‘Hit me with your best examples of management bollocks speak.’ is closed to new replies.