Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)
  • Hit by a car this morning, and its going to be interesting….
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Near side bumper corner if anything but it was a light clatter really
    My front wheel is fubar though. It won’t true up properly.
    My first road bike too. 2 weeks and 2 days old.

You need their insurance details from the police, take it up with them and you will get contact/accident recorded on insurance at least. If nothing else you might just wipe out their NCB.

mrelectric

Glad you are Ok & that you are ready to chase this. Good one!
    Failing to stop & to report is at least 6 points.

CTC or BC would take this up for their members.

For those who have or already seen this, please view & sign:
    http://www.roadjustice.org.uk/police-petition

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well I waited at the roundabout and followed him to work this morning
    I asked for his details but he refused to provide them, even when I told him I’d already been to the cops
    There was a bit of an argument, I won’t deny it. But I don’t think I swore at him. Hopefully I’ve rattled his cage though.

wwaswas

he refused to provide them

back to the police then – that’s another offence.

kimbers

good work pp

drlex
    Free Member

Well done!
    I’m assuming following him home would be tantamount to harrassment.

nbt

Well done. Did you get a pic of the damage to his car as well?

jamiea
    Free Member

Nice one PP! Hopefully the police will take it a bit more seriously now you’ve done their job for them in tracking the twunt down!

Cheers,
    Jamie

jonxmack
    Free Member

No need to follow him home, you know where he works which is good enough. Shame it’d be a pain in the a** for you because waiting for him there every morning would be a good way to get the details out of him 😉

boblo
    Free Member

Sadly, he’ll just deny it ever happened. Your word against his.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im surprised he didn’t deny it your face. What a git. Take ’em daan.

singletrackmind

Be nice to be waiting there on Monday morning with a policeman wouldn’t it.
    I take it you have informed the Police of his whereabouts , and the fact this isn’t going to fizzle out?
    Did you get a pic of his bumper? Might not even be damaged , doesnt take much to bend a road bike wheel

So , You have a choice of hit and run , failing to stop , leaving the scene of an accident, failing to report an accident, failing to leave insurance details after an accident. Bet you a pint the Police do FA though.

singletrackmind

well done for not re-arranging his face . smug git ‘Be on your way’ my ar$e

nbt

Keep chasing the police. If you don;t hear something, ask to speak to the Duty Inspector and get him to explain what’s happened and why they deem that their actions to date have been adequate

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Hi Pete – haven’t had time to read the whole thread so sorry if duplicating but …

If this was at morning rush hour then the chances are he was a commuter doing his normal morning run. He will probably do it again around the same time every morning.

If you get the time then turn up 1/2 an hour before the time of the hit and run and wait to see if he drives past. You can then photo him and the car and although I don’t condone violence you could either own him with a set of bombers or wee in his shoes

njee20
    Free Member

Hi Pete – haven’t had time to read the whole thread last 3 posts so sorry if duplicating but …

FTFY 😉

renton
    Free Member

Good effort following him to work but Im not sure I would have been able to show as much constraint !!

robdob
    Free Member

Good effort following him to work but Im not sure I would have been able to show as much constraint !!

Knowing my brother well I also don’t know how he managed to keep his cool! It’s always easier when you can plan what to say in advance and know that losing your cool will only set your case back anyway. I wasn’t very nice to the guy who hit me last year when it happened.

dannyh
    Free Member

Glad to hear you’re OK.

There’s one near me – a woman in a white beemer with a personalised number plate. She’s nearly had me three times (twice while I was cycling, once while I was driving).

Happily I also saw her go into her (massive, gated) private driveway a couple of weeks back, so I know where they live.

I was toying with the idea of putting up a couple of signs by the roadside (like people do for birthdays or to advertise open days). Just the reg number and then a few words of advice like “you drive irresponsibly and are going to cause an accident”.

I’ve always thought it would be interesting what would happen if there was then an accident and enough people had seen the signs.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I saw graffiti on a bridge once the read something like “X456 JHH drives like a ****t”

It was a while back in Portsmouth

stevied
    Free Member

Happily I also saw her go into her (massive, gated) private driveway a couple of weeks back, so I know where they live.

Buy a really tough chain/padlock and lock their gates for them 😉

drlex
    Free Member

Buy a really tough chain/padlock and lock their gates for them

And sadly that can cause the opening mechanisms to fail expensively…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Knowing my brother well I also don’t know how he managed to keep his cool

Well…. Like I said. I don’t THINK I swore at him but he’s a pompous prick and there was an argument. I was livid to be fair. He’s not denied hitting me but says (as he would) that its my fault. Remember he hit the SIDE of me though not me the side of him.
    Someone else came out of the office, so I suggested that if he was his boss he should sort his employee out. Neither of them were expecting an irate midlander in their face with their morning fag, I can assure you.

I’ll go back to the cops later with my new info.

GrahamS

He’s not denied hitting me but says (as he would) that its my fault.

Regardless or blame, or perceived blame, he was still obliged to stop.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Regardless or blame, or perceived blame, he was still obliged to stop.

I know that, you know that. He doesn’t think it applies to him.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Still following with interest. As you’ve done the plod’s work for them, it’ll be even more disappointing if nothing happens to the driver.

GrahamS

I know that, you know that. He doesn’t think it applies to him.

Hopefully the police do!

If not then I’d be getting some legal advice.

BigJohn

he’s a pompous prick

And he drives an Astra?????

I thought that was mutually exclusive.

boblo
    Free Member

I think he meant tasteless prick…

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Good work finding out where he works and confronting him, I’m a skinny little boys bodied fanny so doubt I’d have had the balls to confront him….

rocket
    Free Member

Am I the only one who thinks OPs done himself no favours following the guy to work and having a barny with him? Totally understand why (hope you got picks of damage to his car), but in the unlikely event the old bill do follow this up, the OP is open to all sorts of allegations of harrasment and intimidation which will weaken his position, and the guy DOES have witnesses. Obviously the guy is a complete tool and should be shown the error of his ways for the rest of us on 2 wheels, but I’d have followed due process first giving the police as much info as possible. Then, if that doesn’t work, feel free to pursue ‘other options’…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

A heated discussion vs failing to stop

Which is the offence….

GrahamS

Nah, he was just “attempting to contact the gentleman directly to give him a second opportunity to pass on his insurance details and to remind him of his legal obligation to report the accident to the police”.

Surely it is only harassment/intimidation if he does it repeatedly or starts making threats.

rocket
    Free Member

Nah, he was just “attempting to contact the gentleman directly to give him a second opportunity to pass on his insurance details and to remind him of his legal obligation to report the accident to the police”.

Perfect! Carry on as you were OP 🙂

billyboulders
    Free Member

I think PP will be ok for following him to work. Something along the lines of “by sheer coincidence I saw the same car on my way in the next day (not unlikely, they both travel to work by the same route at the same time) I need my wheel replaced so I followed him until he stopped as I need his insurance details to claim for the wheel – unfortunately he refused to give them to me” should cover it.

roper
    Free Member

Good for you for pursuing it. It sounds like you are handling it well. Stay positive and polite. Sometimes it can take a while for some people to see the seriousness of their actions.

eoghan
    Free Member

Expect nothing from plod

Went to plod. Filled in 36 page (no, really) accident report. Car was not insured. Car was on SORN. He had failed to stop.

Plod called on him and he said he hadn’t been anywhere. Plod said they could do no more as there were no witnesses. Photos don’t count.

Idle basterds.

So, apart from filling in a 36 page form, checking the driver’s insurance, and going and speaking to him, they’ve been utterly bone idle.

What have the Romans ever done for us?

sbob
    Free Member

boblo – Member

Sadly, he’ll just deny it ever happened. Your word against his.

Sadly, this is the most likely scenario. 🙁

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sadly, he’ll just deny it ever happened

He’s already admitted it’s happened to me, and in front of another person. He just thinks he’s not to blame and doesn’t have to provide details.

GrahamS

He’s already admitted it’s happened to me, and in front of another person.

Hopefully he’ll be as candid when (if) the police call round.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Hit by a car this morning, and its going to be interesting….’ is closed to new replies.