Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 146 total)
  • Hit by a car this morning, and its going to be interesting….
  • pingu66
    Free Member

I agree with Hora, I would be out of my car straight away.

It could have been dealt with easily. This is the sort of thing that can happen and I would call n accident, that momentary lapse. Obviously not ploughing into things.

Essentially if the police deal with it properly its a fail to stop.

If it had been me driving it would have either been insurance but with the negative effect on no claims, make sure your ok first then get the bike sorted.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Out of interest, how old did the driver appear to be? On your way would seem to be the turn of phrase of an older driver 60+?

DezB
    Free Member

Reading between the lines.. reckon he hit you on purpose?

Yeah, keep us posted. I know the police down here would visit without this sending a letter lark.

Murray

If he’s got any sense he’ll report within 24 hours.

http://www.keep-your-licence.co.uk/site/services/failing_to_stop_report/

soma_rich
    Free Member

I think CCTV has to be important here? If they wait for a letter and a reply its going to be overwritten/lost. Get the police to take this serioulsy.

Glad your okay, you should get a pro to look at your wheel!

IanW
    Free Member

Simalar case last year- four witnesses who’s statements said it looked on intentional. Took 10 months to get a court date, failing to stop was dropped before attendance in exchange for an admision of careless driving 3points-£30 fine.

Fairly pointless process really, maybe creating a record for the driver, thats about it.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Glad you are ok and the others who have had some scrapes or scraps

After reading this thread I think I’ve lost all faith in the cops…

thehustler
    Free Member

In the interests of balance b4 it gets out of hand, thP did say he was filtering and

this car comes from my right slightly behind me

Forgive me if I am wrong but on a round about dont you give way to traffic coming from the right?

nixie

Only when your waiting to enter the round about if your on it then no that would be stupid!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I agree with Hora, I would be out of my car straight away.

So would I…..

YES HV09FSZ IS showing as insured on the Motor Insurance Database today.

Thankyou 🙂
    I’d already found the make and model out to confirm the reg

Reading between the lines.. reckon he hit you on purpose?

Dez, you took the words out of my mouth, that’s what it felt like to be honest, but I wouldn’t claim that to be the truth. It was odd is all I’ll say.
    I’m pretty visible too – green/white Madone 2.3, red gilet, white lid.

Forgive me if I am wrong but on a round about dont you give way to traffic coming from the right?

Correct.
    But the roundabout was full of stationary/very slow cars and I was almost out of the way (In line with the outer lane of the turning I was passing) with cars going straight on the same as me to my right. I _THINK_ a gap opened in those cars as I passed and he came though it, or he turned out of the queue into me. I can’t say for sure.

nicko74

I’ve already checked his reg on the National Tyres tyre selector website so I know the reg is correct.

Send him some tyres with a threatening message painted on them?

KEep us posted as to what the popos do…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Chase the police for a crime reference number

Yeah, good luck with that. It’s a traffic offence, not a recordable crime 🙄 You might get an incident reference (“URN” in our force) which will refer to the log of your call/report, they could/should have given you this when you reported it.

Good luck and glad to hear youre okay.

scaredypants

Out of interest, how old did the driver appear to be? On your way would seem to be the turn of phrase of an older driver 60+? a COPPER!!!!

phil40
    Free Member

Glad to hear you are ok PP,

good job on chasing it up with the police, hopefully the driver will think twice if they have a quiet word! (well one can hope i suppose!)

patriotpro
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    HV09FSZ
    Black Astra

Presuming you have a crime number which means you can get his address from the DVLA – The rest is up to your imagination/revenge levels.

Good luck wi getting it sorted either way.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m pretty visible too – green/white Madone 2.3, red gilet, white lid,likes cake

:p

robdob
    Free Member

He probably wasn’t eating cake as he was riding though.

Or was he? 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

likes cake

I do. But that’s not relevant here.

PS
    I hate you TINAS! 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

they could/should have given you this when you reported it.

I asked for a ref no but there wasn’t one apparently.

I’ve just invested £4 at askmid.com, anyway…..

andyl
    Free Member

I’d get the reg removed from here for now as they could argue that it could affect any case.

char34
    Free Member

what you should of done was a drop to the floor , someone would have stopped to help then, phoned ambulance , plod would have to investigate then
    to many idiot drivers on the road with no concern for other road users

project
    Free Member

cyclist motorist awareness day today in Liverpool, got the email tonight, advising it was taking place,

TO DAMM LATE,obviously they didnt want to advertise it as they might have ben confronted by angry cyclists.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Yeah, good luck with that. It’s a traffic offence, not a recordable crime 🙄

Great PR for your Police Service. 😯

bearnecessities

Sod you, tell me you were not on your lovely kona…

Edit: yes, ask mods nicely to remove reg number. Unnecessary and silly.

easygirl

There will be an accident report reference number.
    The police have made cut backs in lots of areas because of the government. Spending review, so it may be that hey now leave accidents to civilians, and don’t chase fail to stop accidents.
    It’s shameful, but there are less and less police on the streets, and we can only do so much, sorry.
    They should be visiting he driver ASAP and checking for damage, insurance , etc , etc, in reality it may be that they write him a letter , then chase it up that way, drop into the station and ask who is allocated the accident, then they can tell you what the plan of action is.

DezB
    Free Member

Indeed, cyclists should be low on the priority of any police force. Putting themselves at risk by riding amongst all those essential vehicles on our (sorry, their) roads. Put up and shut up I say.

easygirl

tucker uk
    PR for the police service, I wish!
    The police service in the u.k is on its knees at the moment, too few police officers, chasing too many villains, no new recruits, and too many incidents to go to !
    If you knew how many officers were patrolling your streets you would be shocked, I’m shocked and I’ve been a police officer for 25 years, so if you don’t get 100% service from the boys in blue don’t be surprised.

project
    Free Member

Report it on SMIDSY, the ctc site,

gren
    Free Member

I live a few minutes down the road. Will keep an eye out for the Astra. Assume the scuffs are on the nearside wing?

enfht
    Free Member

In my experience, and without exception, old bill have always been shite, long before they had tory cut backs as an excuse not to do their jobs.

Hope the driver gets the comeback he deserves.

tymbian
    Free Member

Glad your ok pp . Hope it gets sorted.

crankboy
    Free Member

fail stop / fail report carrys up to 6 months imprisonment so it is not a minor road traffic offence . There is a witness you many convictions have been obtained on the word of a single witness.

Easygirl is right about resources and priorities but you have the right to have a crime against you and the administration of justice, investigated. also you need his insurance details for the replacement of your wheel and £50 for your scratch. Glad you are ok otherwise .

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Easygirl – thanks for the advice. 🙂

I live a few minutes down the road. Will keep an eye out for the Astra. Assume the scuffs are on the nearside wing?

Near side bumper corner if anything but it was a light clatter really
    My front wheel is fubar though. It won’t true up properly.
    My first road bike too. 2 weeks and 2 days old. 🙁

papamountain
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure failing to stop is a criminal offence. It carries a punishment of up to 6 months in prison.

I’ve been round that roundabout twice today, live just up the road. FPH and that roundabout are chaos at peak times. I was sound asleep at that time however.

I will keep a lookout for that car, if I see it I’ll take a pic of any damage on it.. Amazing how people knock someone off their bike with a car and then just ***k off.

singletrackmind

PP You wanna borrow a clean Ultegra FW? I have no need of it for a few weeks at least.
    why not stand on the roundabout tomorrow from say 0745 – 0810 ? pull the t0sser out the car and ask him what he meant by ‘on your way ‘
    throw his keys into a feild , then when the police arrive yesturdays incident can be dealt with appropriatly.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP You wanna borrow a clean Ultegra FW? I have no need of it for a few weeks at least.

Really appreciate the offer mate 🙂
    I’ve tried mine up enough to use but it’s got a nasty kink in it that creates a flat spot with the tension needed to remove it. Only 20 radial spokes see? Hard to true.
    I can replace it fairly cheaply but that’s not the point.

why not stand on the roundabout tomorrow from say 0745 – 0810 ?

Don’t worry. That’s crossed my mind too. But I’ll be on the motorbike instead, for an easier follow to his workplace…..

Harry_the_Spider

Have a word with him in the foyer of his office. Nice and loud.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that PP. shame you’ve no witnesses but hopefully that won’t be a factor. Maybe the police won’t have the resources to follow it up fully, but all you can do is ask the question and be persistent. Any way you can chase him hia insurance too?

garage-dweller

I cant believe they havent paid a visit. Hit and run with damage.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Hit by a car this morning, and its going to be interesting….’ is closed to new replies.