Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Hit and run in Brighton
  • Klunk
    Free Member
    SaxonRider

Saw that. What kind of psychopath do you have to be to do that? 👿

RoterStern
    Free Member

😯 Just 😯

sobriety
    Free Member

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

squirrelking
    Free Member

How in the name of hell did they hold that amount of speed round the corner???

https://goo.gl/maps/FMpwrvfq6rS2

Either the person involved ran because they knew full well they were going to get massively shafted or they were driving like that for a reason, either way they deserve a good kicking.

andyl
    Free Member

amazing how far he flew, hope he makes a good recovery. Good video to show people who complain about the 20mph speed limit in Bristol as that 10mph change can make a huge difference in situations like that. Hopefully other cameras will have a better view of the reg and driver.

cranberry
    Free Member

What sort of speed were they doing around a corner ?

:-0

Edukator
    Free Member

There can’t be that many white Fiat 500s. They checked every fiat with the same colour as they found on the Princess Di Merc, I hope as much effort is put into finding this Fiat.

GrahamS

The still frame taken just as it is hitting him is quite incredible.

His legs are buckled under him and the bonnet of the Fiat is compressing,
    but he is still looking straight ahead and the top half of his body is upright like he was walking normally.

The must have been doing some speed round that corner and from the looks of the video they didn’t even contemplate stopping. 🙁

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s going to have a smashed windscreen, and i guess it will be reported stolen shortly.

Fantombiker

Wish I hadn’t watched that. No excuses for not stopping.

johndoh
    Free Member

Good video to show people who complain about the 20mph speed limit in Bristol as that 10mph change can make a huge difference in situations like that

No speed limit would have changed that incident – the driver was driving recklessly and would have driven equally recklessly no matter what any given speed limit was.

JoB
    Free Member

cranberry – Member
    What sort of speed were they doing around a corner ?

i know that bit of road, the road the Fiat comes from curves round to the right directly on the junction so you can head into that side-road pretty much straight on, and there’s a nice little left hander just before that’s fun to take at speed in a nippy little car, or so everyone thinks

chiefgrooveguru

amazing how far he flew, hope he makes a good recovery. Good video to show people who complain about the 20mph speed limit in Bristol as that 10mph change can make a huge difference in situations like that. Hopefully other cameras will have a better view of the reg and driver.

There is already a 20mph limit across most of Brighton, including where that happened. Sadly I’d guess that driver was doing about 35mph. Appalling.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I think the point about the speed limits, was not that a 20mph would have prevented *this* accident, but more of an illustration of what a 35mph or thereabouts collision actually looks like, which most people probably don’t realise.

amedias
    Free Member

amazing how far he flew

It is isn’t it, having witnessed it first hand when my friend stepped out in front of a bus* when we were waiting to cross the road on our way back to college it’s incredible that a human can survive it really.

It really does bring home how quickly things can go wrong and how much kinetic energy a vehicle has in comparison to a person, I still find it bizarre that we let people and vehicles mix so closely and at such speed in urban areas.

Hope the guy makes a full recovery, effects of an impact like that can take a loooong time to heal.

* literally just that, 4 of us were standing there waiting to cross, he was next to me, 3 of us saw the bus, he didn’t and stepped out in front of it when it was about 8 feet away and doing 30mph and catapulted him down the road like a ragdoll.

El-bent
    Free Member

amazing how far he flew

You’d be amazed, My friend was killed by a hit and run driver, he was doing about 45-50, when he hit him and flung him into the back of a parked van 30ft away. He only missed Me, my brother and my sister in-law by a few inches. The driver gave himself up.

I hope they catch this c*nt.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have a mate that staggered out into the path of a car doing about 50 and somehow survived. Apparently they reckon it was because he was so drunk he just relaxed into it and landed in a bush. Still ended up with a smashed hip and completely scarred for life up his neck (also died a few times on the way to the hospital).

Poor old boy that hit him had a heart attack as well, pretty sure he survived.

jam-bo

I recognise that road now I’ve watched the video.

chris eubank very nearly did the same to me about 20yrs ago not far from there in an aston martin.

skydragon
    Free Member

Hope they catch the driver.

Is it only me…but I’m amazed/disappointed how no-one rushes up to help the victim. Not great behaviour by the onlookers.

gonzy
    Free Member

Is it only me…but I’m amazed/disappointed how no-one rushes up to help the victim. Not great behaviour by the onlookers.

its hard to tell from only a few seconds of footage (30 in total form all the different angles).
    i would have hoped someone would have gone to tend to him once they’d overcome the initial shock of seeing something like that

hope the guy makes a full recovery and the bellend in the car is caught before they kill someone

cranberry
    Free Member

I’d put that down to shock – people didn’t pop down to the shops expecting to see someone thrown into the air and land in a heap on the road – it takes time for people to gather themselves and start to react.

wwaswas

Given the impact I can’t think what I’d do bar calling an ambulance and waiting with him, tbh, it was 300m from a large A&E dept.

I can only imagine making things worse for him by doing anything other than making sure his airway was clear/he was breathing?

I think that woman on the corner’s reaction reflects mine – hands to the face and then turned away in denial of what she’d seen. Takes a few seconds to come to terms with it just watching the video.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Shocking 😯 that’s on part of my ride home, now I know why that was all cordoned off by the police, hope he makes a good recovery.

akira

Sometimes I think an eye for an eye seems like the way to go certain crimes. Hopefully someone spots the car although with all that CCTV they must be a be to get some details.

GrahamS

I think that woman on the corner’s reaction reflects mine – hands to the face and then turned away in denial of what she’d seen.

Yeah I was about to post the same thing – she almost runs away from it in shock before she gets herself together.

Happened right in front of her too. Must be an horrific thing to witness first hand. No wonder it takes a breath before you think to start calling ambulances etc

ctk
    Free Member

Must be on some other cctv nearby?

Hope they catch driver and throw the book at them.

What’s the likely tariff? I’m always shocked at what you can get away with behind the wheel of a car.

imnotverygood

I would’ve thought there is a good cahnce that this was a stolen car. Or at least I would hope a ‘normal’ driver wouldn’t drive at that speed and make no effort to stop.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

As emphasized on the speed awareness course I had to go on (for doing 33), this is why there is a 30mph limit – they reckoned the chances of surviving a collision at much more than 30 go downhill rapidly.

I think it is based on how fast your legs are cut away and you would spin round and hit the car bonnet, or road, or something like that.

They show you a video with a young girl crossing the road and getting hit at different speeds, from memory.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think her reaction sums it up, even knowing he survived my first reaction watching a postcard sized video let alone in real life was “that’s a dead body”, something we’ve presumably evolved to be a bit repulsed by

Northwind

Just an impression but it feels like the car’s actually speeding up through the corner. Bloody awful anyway

wwaswas

Original video’s had more than 1.4 million views now.

Let’s hope that in some way it enables Sussex Police to catch the shit that did this.

[edit] oh, was expecting the swear filter to kick in.

martinporter
    Free Member

From BBC Twitter: “Police say #Brighton man hit by car in hit and run ‘likely to make full recovery” and call on “peoples’ conscience” to help find driver.”
    That’s good news, but it might put the culprit off ‘fessing up, if they think that he’ll be ok?
    Knowing Brighton quite well, I’m quite surprised that they can’t trace it backwards from the numerous CCTV cameras all over town? Especially as there is a hospital, police station and law courts in the area. As well as the private business cameras.

matt_outandabout

I’d put that down to shock – people didn’t pop down to the shops expecting to see someone thrown into the air and land in a heap on the road – it takes time for people to gather themselves and start to react.

Having watched a 12 year old get taken out by a flying sledges last week, out of 20+ adults stood watching, only two of us responded to his twitching body on the floor after a full cartwheel in the air and landing on head. Even when the lady called ambulance and my kids blocked the ‘piste’, none of the other adults came over. A doctor, over 100m away at the top of the slope was only one who reacted, after a few mins of me kneeling and increasing number of kids blocking the piste.
    It does seem people go into ‘denial’ mode, and ignorance.
    Thankfully just a cracked rib, not broken back as suspected by me, doc and ambulance.

wwaswas

Bloke who was arrested leaving custody on bail:

wwaswas

yes, I know he’s not been charged or ‘owt or his picture wouldn’t be in the papers.

martinhutch

Still shouldn’t be publishing his picture given there’s a strong chance of him being charged and the identity of the driver will be the key question in any court case.

MoreCashThanDash

There seems to be a trend for the media/internet to publish details that I would have might prejudice a jury. Hard to stop, I know, but every scrote deserves a fair trial.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The Bystander Effect is quite a well studied / well established thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Hit and run in Brighton’ is closed to new replies.