Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • hit and run at torq 12:12 Landrover Discovery
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

Just had someone almost have a head on collision with me on the exit from the course, they destroyed my Wong mirror and carried on. Its a 10mph limit on the road and he must have been doing excess of 40mph on a singletrack road.

It was a black Landrover Discovery, 2009 shape, with an ACU sticker in the window.

Does anyone know what the sticker is for, or the chap that was driving? The police have been informed, I jumped out and he carried on at speed.

We were stationary at the time too.

Any help greatfully received.

Cheers

Ricks

easygirl

acu, is auto cycle union, a motorcycle racing club

RealMan
    Free Member

http://www.acu.org.uk/

?

Unlucky.

edit: beaten to it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bez

“they destroyed my Wong mirror”

How can we be sure that’s really true and not just Chinese whispers?

honourablegeorge

You should have jumped out ans smashed his mirror.

Although two wongs don’t make a right, I suppose.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

ACU could also be Army Cycling Union, although you would really hope not. Is Torq 12 still held on Army land?

project
    Free Member

“they destroyed my Wong mirror”

AH, it must have been your fault then, in the wong place at the wong time.

rickon
    Free Member

Loving the Wong jokes 🙂 that’s cheered me up no end. Although driving on the m4 with a smashed wing mirror sucks.

It was on mod land, and the Army Cycling were racing. Ill be having words with the club and the organisers as failing to stop at the scene of an accident is a pretty serious offence.

allthepies
    Free Member

failing to stop at the scene of an accident is a pretty serious offence

How about using a mobile phone for accessing the web while driving ? 😉

Deveron53
    Free Member

MTFU!
    Jenson Button lost his wing mirror yesterday and was very calm about it. That wing mirror is probably worth more than your car! He was in the works van though so probably didn’t have to pay for it himself.

rickon
    Free Member

Its fine when you’re the passenger 🙂 I was racing, so in no fit state to drive, that’s the bonus of a missus team mate to support me.

rickon
    Free Member

Thanks for that Deveron, a 57 plate transit is worth a bit more than a £30 mirror, circa £9k for my model. And it’s not the cost its endangering my and my missus life that concerns me. I will prosecute for dangerous driving and there are witnesses.

Rickos
    Free Member

Was the exit road on private land? Do the police take much notice if it’s not on the public highway?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Acu could be army cycling union but i can’t remember them ever having window stickers as your not supposed let strangers know your MOD (if you see what you mean)

slackin101
    Free Member

Don’t think the Police will take any notice if it was on MOD land. I also think you are being a bit of a drama queen describing somebody who took your mirror off as ‘endangering my and my missus life’. Imho of course…

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Just had someone almost have a head on collision with me on the exit from the course, 40mph on a singletrack road.

So you were going out and he was coming in, on a Singletrack road ?
    or
    you were you coming in and he was going out ?

But its singletrack, dont understand

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Civilian Police might not take much notice, but I’m pretty sure that the Military Police would be interested.

rickon
    Free Member

The road is singletrack with passing places before and after, it’s a 10mph speed limit, as stated on the Torq 12:12 website and T&Cs.

He was coming in, as we were going out.

@slackin101 – good thing you read the whole post before stating your opinion. He was doing in excess of 40mph on a singletrack road, didn’t pull to the side, and hit us while we were stationary, and didn’t slow after the incident. He hit the mirror very hard, but where he was in the road could have easily been a head on collision.

aP
    Free Member

There was a lot of Russian Roulette driving on that access road. When we left there was a black Discovery with a card in the window getting irate as I was waiting for a middle aged blonde to decide to drive onto the camp site rather than drive backwards and forwards up and down the verge. I think the card in the LR window was events organiser?
    Thanks also to the Navara driver for driving up to the back window, turning every light on then slowing down, then doing it again. What a tool.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Ah ha understand now 🙂
    I’d of been after him, my mirror [VW] just cost £65 for the glass.
    Those bstards who drive 4×4’s eh.

rickon
    Free Member

I did go after him, I ran down the road – but he’d sped off, the chap behind told me where he had been parked before so we drove around to find him – but couldn’t see him.

I’ll be off to the breaker’s yard tomorrow to see if I can find a spare one.

I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t stop, it’s just common decency.

slackin101
    Free Member

@slackin101 – good thing you read the whole post before stating your opinion. He was doing in excess of 40mph on a singletrack road, didn’t pull to the side, and hit us while we were stationary, and didn’t slow after the incident. He hit the mirror very hard, but where he was in the road could have easily been a head on collision.

@rickon I did read the whole thing and thought you were being a drama queen with the ‘endangering my and my missus life’ statement.

He might have been going too fast but you clipped mirrors (albeit ‘very hard’) ffs.

rickon
    Free Member

I’m not going to argue, Not might, was. Simple.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Simple to prove though?

slackin101
    Free Member

From

Ill be having words with the club and the organisers as failing to stop at the scene of an accident is a pretty serious offence.

To

its endangering my and my missus life that concerns me. I will prosecute for dangerous driving and there are witnesses.

To

I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t stop, it’s just common decency.

Sounds like you are calming down a bit now. Probably a good thing. Hope the Military Police/Police manage to track the perpetrator down for you.

rickon
    Free Member

Simple to prove though?

Not stopping at the scene, yep.

slackin101
    Free Member

@rickon I’m not going to argue, Not might, was. Simple.

How are you going to prove to whichever variety of cops are responsible that the perpetrator ‘was doing in excess of 40mph on a singletrack road’ coming in the opposite direction to you?

What was the posted speed limit in any case?

rickon
    Free Member

10mph is the limit

rickon
    Free Member

Anyway, probably worth ending this thread, I’ve got a few leads to follow now – thanks for the help chaps. Like I said it’s not the money that’s the issue, its the fact that had we not been tyres on the curb he would have hit us head on.

thegreatape
    Free Member

He might have been going too fast but you clipped mirrors (albeit ‘very hard’) ffs.

POSTED 16 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    rickon – Member
    I’m not going to argue, Not might, was. Simple.

POSTED 14 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    thegreatape – Member
    Simple to prove though?

Simple to prove 40mph?

rickon
    Free Member

Nope, I do doubt very much a car driving at 10mph would have smashed the glass out of my wing mirror though.

Good thing I’m going on holiday to Scotland tomorrow from Wales for two weeks, need to have a day at home now to find a breakers with a spare mirror – so wasted a day’s annual leave for me too.

Such an idiot.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Playing devils advocate but I believe if it’s private land the plod won’t care less what the speed limit was and what speed the disco was going. Hope you get it sorted though. Someone on the windermere ferry opened their car door and rested it on my car the other week. I think if they could have asked me to leave the ferry.
    , they would – I went mental. Some people just have zero respect for other peoples property..

project
    Free Member

A kid hit my van a few years ago,when i was parked and out cycling,knocked the glass out, luckily the police got him, and he got 18 months in prison.

It did help that he was in a stolen car, and a few cop cars where chasing him at the time, just went to halfords and got a new mirror glass.

Simples.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve just emailed the ACU guy I know, who was at least helping to run the event…

cheez0
    Free Member

You got to ask yourself what you could have done to have kept yourself safer in the first place.

The sad fact of life is that everyone on the road* is a **** and you have to take that into account when parking/ stopping/ manoeuvering.
    (*highway, track, pavement etc)

‘wheels on the curb’ sounds to me like there was not a lot of room IMO. If you had not been ‘wheels on the curb’ but ‘wheels not on the curb’ you would have been blocking the road further so discos trying to pass would have had to slow down more, right? That might have been safer?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You got to ask yourself what you could have done to have kept yourself safer in the first place.

You havin’ a laff, right? 😯

cheez0
    Free Member

Not really.

If someone is hurtling towards me at speed on a narrow lane then I will take up more of the road in good time to make the **** slow down.

If you move right over to get out of his way and he can see ‘just enough’ room to piss pass you at pace then he will go for it. Narrowing the gap so he cant will make him slow/ stop.

btw,
    I drive narrow country roads every day.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Shouldn’t have your wong out in public places

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not really.

I give up.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

btw,
    I drive narrow country roads every day.

Stand back everyone, we have an expert here.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘hit and run at torq 12:12 Landrover Discovery’ is closed to new replies.