Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • History Questions – Bristol MTB firm – circa 1990's?
  • MisterT

Q1 – what was the name of the bike company based in Bristol in the 1990's – they built some great hardtails. (IIRC located one end of City Road nr the M32)

Q2 – IIRC they had a close relationship with the music scene. – which famous band used to ride their bikes and hang out in their shop.

Q3 – anyone know if their frames are still being used?

Q4 – what happend to the bike shop/people?

MisterT

(btw – it's not Argos Racing Cycles.)

MrAgreeable

You might be thinking of Overburys, don't know of any other Bristol frame builders apart from Argos.

A few members of Massive Attack were into MTBing but I don;t know of any connection with Overburys – although I do know a guy who bought 3D's GT Zaskar.

Overburys Pioneers are like hen's teeth but I did see a chap riding his to work a few months ago.

The shop is still there in Saint Pauls but seems to be in a state of gentle decline. The bloke who was putting out the frames doesn't take an active role in the business any more and seems to shy away from attempts to contact him.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I think Sugi (sp?) built frames for Overbury's. I met him in Marin in the 90's. I think he's a photographer living in Devon now.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Overburys sounds right. What about Ozone/Bigfoot though?

MisterT

Cheers Mr.A – Bingo – right 1st time – yes it was Overburys – and yes it was Massive Attack (I recall that at least two of the band used to ride Pioneers)

I thought the business closed down years ago…

sad that they guy isn't still into the business.

anyone still got a Pioneer?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MisterT, get over to retrobike.co.uk for some old school luvvin'

MrAgreeable

Few people here that still have theirs!

Moses

There are still quite a few Overbury frames around. As above, the shop is in decline.

Did Fred Baker not make their own frames (road) in the late 80s / 90s ?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Apparently they were so popular, there were even fake Overbury Pioneers being sold at the time as well.

clubber
    Free Member

One of my mates had (still has) an Overburys in the mid 90s – it was very nicely put together but it was a bit of a brick…

MrAgreeable

Moses, I've definitely seen frames branded Fred Baker – not sure whether they were made by them though.

MisterT

they rode so good, but never owned one. Later ones had front facing seatpost slots which seemed rather revolutionary at the time (something now seemingly standard on british designed frames)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Now THAT is a Gentlemans headtube 😀

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Now that's a proper bicycle 😛

MrAgreeable

Now THAT is a Gentlemans headtube

But if the BM post I linked to above is to be believed, those forks are distinctly caddish. 😐

jimster
    Free Member

What about Ozone/Bigfoot though?

I know Ozone were based in Malvern, elevated chainstays and all that jazz, they briefly changed their name to Bigfoot but I think there was a club or other manufacturer with that name.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MrA, those forks are at a raffish angle. Spiffing!

jimster, thanks, that makes sense.

MrAgreeable

I was referring to the chap on BM who said that they lacked any kind of internal sleeve, so they were prone to catastrophic failure. Although they do nicely echo the curvature on the stem of a finely carved briar. 🙂

finnegan
    Free Member

Damn, I so wanted a Pioneer back in the day, when their adverts were full of oranges for some reason. Nice people in the shop way back then.

MrOvershoot

I worked @ Overburys from 1979-82 so missed the MTB explosion, I could tell you some stuff about the Ozone/Bigfoot venture but it would just make me angry (lets just say the words "Bastard" and "robbing" would be used) Malvern end of the deal are not at fault.

CountZero

Visited the Overbury's shop a couple of times, rather fancied a Pioneer at one time, but never followed through on it.

barney
    Free Member

I used to live 100 metres from it at one point in the mid nineties – the little old lady who ran the shop was lovely, but the chap in the back who once rebuilt my wheel was a grumpy arse and no mistake 🙂

singlespeedstu

I remember really lusting after a custom Overburys with a 24" rear wheel that I saw out on our local trails. 😯

Reluctant
    Free Member

I had a Pioneer built for me in 91. Colombus NivaChrome with full Campag. Lovely bike which was stolen from my basement in 92 – but i did get it back! I was on my Honda near the top of Muller rd when i saw someone riding it. Slammed up on the pavement and aprehended the surprised rider, who legged it off up a side street. Bunged the mtb on the pillion seat and rode off home! Still makes me laugh to this day!
    Enid and Andy Powell are top folks, who make some great bikes, but the business was/is badly run.

mattsccm
    Free Member

MrO. You were there when me and mate would pedal over almost every weekend from the Forest of Dean. bought my first timetrial wheels from Overburys and took them home on my bike,either side of the front wheel with spanners in the QR's. Several years later I was at college with a chap who probably built them. Mavic Pro's on Super Champs. Wolber tubs and a 13-17 5 speed free wheel . Your initials aren't JM are they?
    Anyway, more to the point I always wanted a 24" rear wheeler.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I've still got my Pioneer. Columbus Max tubes, painted with a red-to-tangerine fade.

It's beautiful and it's not for sale 🙂

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

… Andy Powell certainly knows how to build wheels, too.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

there were even fake Overbury Pioneers being sold at the time

… going by the name of "Kona" 🙂

therevokid
    Free Member

bought my first ever "proper" bike from Overburys –
    one 19" Holdsworth Competition …. happy memories :-]
    I remember a very sweet old lady in charge too ….

MrOvershoot

mattsccm – Member

MrO. You were there when me and mate would pedal over almost every weekend from the Forest of Dean. bought my first timetrial wheels from Overburys and took them home on my bike,either side of the front wheel with spanners in the QR's.
    At least you were from the English side of the Severn 😉 We used to get hoards of the Newport club boys in wanting free tea & biscuits and a wheel true for bugger all while they Umm'd & Ahh'd over a 3 year old jersey.
    And those stairs to the workshop were a royal PITA if you had a touring bike with panniers fitted(gasp)

therevokid – Member
    I remember a very sweet old lady in charge too ….

That was Mrs Powell (Andy's mum) she could be moody too, but Andy was Mr Placid, always reminded me of Mike Read off R1 in the 80's?

mattsccm
    Free Member

the pedal over the Severn Bridge was fun on windy days.

4130soul
    Free Member

yep definately Overburys,

my friend is having a frame built for him at the moment through them. excellent pieces of kit
    and truly British!

jonathan
    Free Member

I got a Pioneer in '88 (IIRC)… in green and flouro pink 😉

It was a good bike, and it's still going strong as a friend's commute/pub bike I think.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Hey, 4130Soul! Your mates having one built? I'm amazed they're still building frames. What'll it be like – old skool xc or more modern and updated? Any further info would be appreciated as they don't seem to have a website.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘History Questions – Bristol MTB firm – circa 1990's?’ is closed to new replies.