Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hiring vans to take bikes abroad?
  • FOG

We are just starting to plan next year’s Euro adventure which normally involves flying and bike hire. This year we were thinking of driving to the Alps/Jura. However there are 5 of us and nobody has a van or a car big enough for 4 large blokes and 1 smallish one, 5 bikes and gear for a week.
    We were thinking of hiring a van, the sort that have two rows of seats and a reasonable cargo space behind.
    Has anybody done this?
    How does cost compare with taking two cars, two ferry fares, two lots of petrol?
    It would also have the advantage of enabling us to share driving and drive straight through from the ferry in one hop.
    We are based in Sheffield and around so have a fairly long haul to the ferry unless we went to Hull which would increase cabin costs but reduce fuel bills.

Opinions and experiences welcome.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Biggest issue will be a company allowing you out of the uk for that long.
    Lots do it for channel booze runs.
    Chunnel is around £90 for a van/passengers.
    Hull/Rotterdam is a fair bit more because of cabins BUT you save on fuel/time so do the maths.

chakaping
    Free Member

A long wheelbase Vivaro or Trafic crew cab would do the job nicely. I took a SWB one over last year with 3 bikes, a HUGE tent and a vast amount of crap.

Six seater so you can take it in turns being a bit cramped.

I’d definitely drive down to the chunnel, but maybe stop a reasonable way across France at one of the budget roadside motels.

Assuming you can find a company who’ll rent to you, it will work out really cheap splitting five ways. See if anyone has Tesco Clubcard vouchers to get the tunnel cheap.

richrockyfan
    Free Member

I am quite a way from you but I rented an ldv convoy with two rows of seats from a company called mildenhire and spent an amazing week riding the alps. not sure if you could plan it in to your journey but its mildenhall Suffolk.

cakefacesmallblock

Might sound daft, but have you thought about buying a van between 6 of you ? Could use it a few times and sell it on, maybe not losing much into the bargain, if even, anything .

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Might sound daft, but have you thought about buying a van between 6 of you ? Could use it a few times and sell it on, maybe not losing much into the bargain, if even, anything .

this is probably the most economical route. People carriers may work out even better as the bikes/seats/tolls ratio work out better on these

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hiring vans to take bikes abroad?’ is closed to new replies.