Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Hiring van to drive to Alps?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

We’re in the process of booking a chalet in the Alps (for a week) and are trying to work out the best way to get there. Previously my Brother in law had a van, but he’s now swapped it for a car 🙁

There are 4 of us going with big DH bikes, I’m looking at either driving down in two cars (we wouldn’t all fit in one) or hiring a van with extra seats (I presume that’s possible). Has anyone done this and if so would you recommend it?

nealglover
    Free Member

Most hire companies won’t let you take their vehicles abroad.

Some smaller ones do, but a lot harder to find good deals when you can’t compare everyone.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

If you’re going to stay there for long enough might it not be more cost effective to buy a cheap van and resell it once the trip is over?

Van hire runs close enough to £100 a day even if you’re only going to use it inside the UK. At one week then that’s about £700 + fuel costs and whatnot. If you have your own vehicles then it may be simpler to get 4 bike carriers and put them on the roof instead of renting a van. Mate’s just done it in an Audi and he went all the way to the Dolomites.

DT78
    Free Member

Hire a ford tourneo and get them to remove the back row of seats. Cheaper Chunnel travel, book as car with extra head room. Cost £550 for 9 days. Mine was through a local firm udrive. Big firms didn’t allow you to take abroad.

torihada
    Free Member

I assume four of you wont fit into one car as you’ll stick the bikes in the car as well?

My suggestion would be: Buy roof bars (for the widest car) and 4 thule proride 591 bike racks. All on one car. I’ve had 4 big bike bikes on the roof. Cheaper than 2 cars and probably not that more fuel hungry than a van.

On your return keep them for future trips (unless a friend/ brother-in-law has subsequently bought a van and therefore flog them on STW classifieds or on ebay)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Hiring van to drive to Alps?’ is closed to new replies.