Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hiring out a private vehicle – insurance question
  • greasydan
    Free Member

We’re considering hiring out our campervan (T4 Autosleeper conversion) over the summer, but not sure about insurance.

I’d want the people hiring it to be fully comp, so additional insurance would obviously be needed, but don’t know where to start looking..

Anyone done this?

jota180
    Free Member

Speak to your current insurer first as you may put that cover in jeopardy by using another for hiring out the camper.

br
    Free Member

A friend of mine wanted to swap m/c with me for a 2-week trip to the SOuth of France, he’s got a sports bike and mine was more of a tourer.

I was happy commuting on his for the period, and he needed the extra space/comfort/luggage.

Insurance was the thing that stopped it. Basically we had to sell/register the bikes to each other, insure and then vv.

Suspect you may find the same, or something like that doesn’t make it viable.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You are not allowed multi-insurance policies on a single vehicle. You may be able to buy top-up / commercial insurance for the 2 week period from your current insurer but if not then what you want to do is impossible officially without cancelling your current policy and replacing it with one that allows hiring, I would suspect his is not financially viable.

sandwicheater

You are not allowed multi-insurance policies on a single vehicle.

Did use to be the case but a great deal of effort has recently been put into a new line of products that does just that for people who are loaned cars, hire vehicles or are learning and can’t get themselves insured on parents vehicles.

Shameless plug – I started an Insurance broker business recently and we’ve a scheme that will cover what you are after. Did a policy Friday for a week on a T2 camper, is not the cheapest, think it was £160 for 4 drivers (all under 30 I think). Email in profile – Shameless plug

nixie

You are not allowed multi-insurance policies on a single vehicle.

You’ve been able to buy short term cover on vehicles for ages. I’ve used this before to drive cars home for people when they were unable too (illness).

Insurance was the thing that stopped it. Basically we had to sell/register the bikes to each other, insure and then vv.

Could you each of just added the other as a named rider onto the others policy? Or can that not be done for motorbikes insurance.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hiring out a private vehicle – insurance question’ is closed to new replies.