Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hiring a "proper" road bike in Manhattan?
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Hi all. I’m off to Manhattan for work in a few weeks and planning to go out for a ride with a roadie friend who lives out there now. I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere in Manhattan that rents “proper” road bikes for the day? Everywhere that I’ve seen online have just offered cheap hybrids.

Ta.

Speshpaul

Have you looked at buying? or even taking one out there?

ashfanman
    Free Member

I’m only going for a few days and only have time for one ride, so think it’s probably easier to just hire one…

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Try bike and roll, they should have some road bikes

davosaurusrex

Surely your mate who lives there could find out or even better borrow one for you?

rOcKeTdOg

Try tweeting @bikesnobnyc he’s got his finger on the pulse in that city

Edit:just tweeted this thread to him

robgclarkson
    Free Member

avosaurusrex – Member
    Surely your mate who lives there could find out or even better borrow one for you?

of course, but this way the OP gets to tell strangers on the internet that he’s going to manhattan and intends to get a a proper bike whilst there 😉

#humblebrag

bullandbladder
    Free Member

No use to the OP, but I spent a weekend last year getting around NY using the CitiBikes- they’re a fantastic way to do the sightseeing thing. Basically indestructible, too 😆

howarthp

NYC Velo – spoke to the owner a couple of months ago. Hire bikes and also in ite you out on their rides. Nice shop too

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Just spent 10 days in NYC, didn’t see that many cyclists to be honest, there is a cycle lane that goes around the island that looks fun- did see some fairly irresponsible riding on the Brooklyn Bridge.

Great city!

Bought some stuff in nycvelo too.

ashfanman
    Free Member

of course, but this way the OP gets to tell strangers on the internet that he’s going to manhattan and intends to get a a proper bike whilst there

#humblebrag

Ha! That really wasn’t it at all. I’m only going for a few days with work – save for a potential ride, it really won’t be that exciting a trip.

My friend only recently moved out there himself – he’s on a sixth month secondment. But yes, I’ve asked him both questions. Just thought I’d check on here at the same time.

Will try Bike and Roll and NYC Velo. Thanks.

mav12
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/34GtuSB6DQM[/video]

looks fun 😯

ashfanman
    Free Member

Nah – we’re going to go ride around upstate New York. Don’t fancy dodging taxis in Manhattan at all.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Was only pulling your leg ashfan, I’m well jel in truth

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Ciel bikes had a couple of road bikes available to hire when I asked earlier this summer. There was somewhere else recommended to me too but I can’t find the thread to find out which shop it was.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hiring a "proper" road bike in Manhattan?’ is closed to new replies.