Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Hire care excess insurance
  • fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Currently planning a trip away, and want to be covered for anything that might happen…

And don’t want to get stung on the rental companies own excess insurance rates again.

Looking around, all the names that come up on google mean nothing to me, has anyone had any experience of any of the company’s? Preferably someone has had to claim and they can recommend, paid out quickly without fuss… but equally companies to avoid!

cheers_drive

insurance 4 car hire here but never had to claim

Sandwich

Make sure the credit card has enough headroom to allow the robbing bastards car hire company to block out a huge deposit as you’re using your own insurance. If you don’t have enough credit limit you’ll be using their cdw insurance and no lube for you!!

Rich
    Free Member

I’ve used WorldWideInsure and made a hassle-free claim.

beej

I’ve used Questor, never had to claim though.

cerberus
    Free Member

I’ve been with insurance4carhire for 3 years now but never had to claim. Good rates for annual cover also possible to get 25% cashback if purchased through Quidco.

Greybeard
    Free Member

A timely thread for me; I’m just looking for some. I’m hiring a car in Ontario Canada, and it looks as if the basic insurance is minimal – does that make any difference to the top the top-up provider?

The weasel words in the confirmation say “you have not paid for any insurance”, and the actual T&Cs are to the effect that the hirer is fully liable for all costs, although the hirer does provide minimum legally required cover (which seems low, in Ontario).

I only need cover for 10 days, not an annual policy; any recommendations?

Vortexracing

I’ve used Questor, never had to claim though.

same here

antigee

used worldwide for excess cover for a number of years – never claimed but a friend did – several thousand euro’s of damage 100% their fault – got payment back in a couple of weeks – remember that with third party excess insurance you will have to pay the estimated(edit) excess damage cost when you return the car – so need the funds/available credit limit to cover – never been asked to up front the excess – but may depend on country and who hire from

just had an email from worldwide saying won’t renew policy for non EU residents previously they specifically allowed this (not pre brexit currently live in Aus’) Questor would seem to have same policy – any suggestions from the non-european resident STW’ers?

Greybeard – Member
    A timely thread for me; I’m just looking for some. I’m hiring a car in Ontario Canada, and it looks as if the basic insurance is minimal – does that make any difference to the top the top-up provider?

The weasel words in the confirmation say “you have not paid for any insurance”, and the actual T&Cs are to the effect that the hirer is fully liable for all costs, although the hirer does provide minimum legally required cover (which seems low, in Ontario)

think you need both CDW (Collision Damage Waver) and Excess cover (LDW?) the first to get above the legal third party minimum and cover damage to the vehicle and the excess cover for the excessive excess when you take the car rental co’s CDW because trying to get CDW cover from a 3rd party isn’t easy – think some US co’s do – but not found a co’ that will cover non US residents in past have paid the CDW thru gritted teeth and used annual excess cover

PS some travel policies provide excess cover so worth checking

andyg1966

From an earlier reply by me to a different post …

Excess insurance depends on your point of view. I’ve been ripped off by Goldcar when I had my own XS insurance.

Despite me checking over he car carefully they found the tiniest mark and charged me €250. tried to claim it back from AXA and they said fair wear and tear, not covered.

From now on, I pay up at the desk and smile nicely knowing they have not blocked ‘000s on my credit card.

duff
    Free Member

I use reducemyexcess.co.uk, they paid out no problems for a 500 euro charge by Goldcar in Malta (a 10p size dent a smart repair would have sorted) As said the less reputable companies will block a large amount on your card if you use your own insurance. Goldcar took (not blocked) 2500 euros for a pos Peugeot and after 3 months I ended up claiming it back through the credit card company.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I use Questor and have claimed twice over 5 years. I cannot fault the service and the online claims procedure works well. You can speak to them by phone if necessary.
    If you have damaged the vehicle you will have to pay the Hire Company excess when returning so always check the excess amount before hiring and that you have a credit card to cover the amount. A 2000 Euro excess on an economy car is fairly common.
    Make sure that you collect all the required paperwork to support your claim before you leave the rental desk as they will do very little to assist you as you have already paid them. Your Excess Insurer will also try and get as much as possible of the excess back from the rental company so that’s another reason why they are unwilling to assist.
    I paid a £1000 excess to Europcar for what turned out to be a £580 repair. Questor got me a £420 refund from Europcar and paid me the balance before my credit card bill was due for payment.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

insurance4carhire

I’ve used these and have claimed. Painless and quick. Think I was actually paid out before the credit card payment was taken.

sadexpunk

pleased i found this recent thread, can you just un-confuse me please? 🙂

im booking car hire for a holiday in the peloponnese towards end of september. the car hire companies all seem to include collision damage waiver. so i assumed that means everythings included, smash it up and its not a problem so to speak. its a waiver after all.
    but…. im told if i have my own policy (which i do for £40 per year) then bring it along with my credit card as the excess is 700 euro.
    so obviously smash it up and it IS a problem.

yes i know how that works, they take the 700 and i claim it back, im just confused by thinking if ive got CDW im fine, nothing to worry about, but that isnt the case apparently.

so what is it that the companies actually provide if they say everything really is covered, prang it and theres nothing to pay, walk way, we dont need to see your credit card? CDW plus excess or something?

iz confyoosed.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Hire cars usually come with the minimum legal cover, typically 3rd party only. You are liable for any damage, so potentially the cost of the car. CDW covers you for this, but there’s usually an excess, in your case 700 euros – so you are only liable up to 700 euros. Sometimes, they will take that off your card as a deposit, and refund it if you return the car undamaged. Your own policy, from the sound of it, covers the excess – so if the hire company have seen the policy, they may be happy not to take the deposit.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I am renting with Budget car hire so not the same cowboys as goldcar who have a bit of a rep!

Their quote for full insurance was about £250, the car hire is only costing me £24!

From the back of this, I have booked and annual policy with with Questor, will have a card with enough cover for the excess limit with me.

Hopefully I never have to find out how good their service is…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Hire care excess insurance’ is closed to new replies.