Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hire car Geneva Swiss side driving to France – problems?
  • Shackleton

Does anyone know whether the hire car weirdness has been sorted for taking a Swiss car into France? Specifically europcar.

Cheers.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ask europcar. They where working to sort it out, I haven’t heard if it was done yet.

Shackleton

I have asked them but have had contradictory answers. I wondered if any one had experience first hand.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

We hired a French car and drove to France. Only, on changeover days we were held up by the money grabbing swiss authorities who target cars using Swiss roads back to Geneva airport. Result, 70euros handed over, late to the flight. Did offer nazi gold but didn’t give change. I will never visit that country

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^ stop Press Shocker: Swiss police enforcing Swiss laws that you must have paid to use their motorways. All other roads being free which are easy to do with today’s Sat Navs and “no motorway” options.

Sorry OP no first hand experience since this new issue.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

We hired from Swiss side last month and drove down to Les Arcs. I phoned the hire place beforehand and they said no problem – which it wasn’t. Had no issues at all.

crazy-legs

No issues at all a couple of weeks ago when we drove from Geneva to Megeve for the Etape. Swiss registered hire car (nice brand new Volvo), picked up and returned Swiss side, spent the rest of the time in France. No additional charges, all super easy.

That was with Hertz.

The worst thing was buying breakfast at the airpoirt on the way home, I think it cost about £20 for 2 coffees, some orange juice and a couple of croissants or bagels. 🙁

hamishthecat
    Free Member

^^ yeah we got well and truly stiffed for coffees in the airport too.

Shackleton

Ta all. I’ll stop worrying about it.

dashed
    Free Member

Likewise, got done by Geneva airport for food last week. £8 for a cheese and ham bagette… won’t make that mistake again!

Nothing to add on hire cars, but good to see it’s sorted itself out as we’ll prob hire over the winter.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Got done for €9 for a Sandwich in their Bistro, it was quite nice, but not £8 for a Sandwich nice, nice one Boris!

On the other hand, the wonderful Victoria’s Secret shop was having a half-price sale on stuff, bought some Perfume for Mrs Jay.

As for the hire car, I used Budget, arrived at the desk on the Swiss side, she said “Are you staying in Switzerland?” I said “at €9 a pop for a sandwich, no chance – I’m off to France” she grumbled something, gave us a lovely Citroen Cactus with sat-nav for the price of a Up! without, wearing a French number plate and ’16’ Swiss Motorway Tax sticker. Easy life. Drove it to Les Arcs flat out, back and forth Vellandry and Bourg a couple of time and back to Geneva, struggled to squeeze €16 of diesel back in it.

ericf
    Free Member

I’m just back from a 2 week trip to Austria and Italy. I flew into Zurich and hired a car from Avis. I had called them in advance to check about the driving in EU issue. They said they would keep me a car aside with EU plates. When I arrived they had forgotten to note it and had to give me an octavia estate vrs with Austrian plates as it was all they had left. I only paid for a basic golf so got lucky. He said it had been a nightmare since they started enforcing the new law since early May. The chances are pretty small of being stopped at the border as generally most cars are waved through but it would be expensive if you were unlucky and got a jobsworth customs bloke.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hire car Geneva Swiss side driving to France – problems?’ is closed to new replies.