Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Hip/waist bags
  • fattyrider
    Free Member

i am looking at getting a hip/waist pack to use when riding dont need hydration as got bottle on frame but i am sick of having things in pockets i.e. Mobile, money for cake multi tool , spare chain link ect . Any one use one and have any recommendations i dont want to spend a fortune as i have a Osprey hydration pack to use but like riding without a back pack in the summer for local rides

solidrooster
    Free Member

Ditched my pack and went with a lowe alpine fjell, £25ish. Great piece of kit can fit tools, food and a jacket in no problem. There’s a built in key fob clip and a separate zipped pocket inside for cash

fattyrider
    Free Member

solidrooste

nice one that looks just the ticket are they ok for durability and comfort while riding

velobot
    Free Member

Dare I say a roadie type jersey with 3 big pockets on the back?

solidrooster
    Free Member

It’s really comfortable, you forget it’s there, and it hides away under a jersey.
    Durability wise I used mine right through winter, washed it and it’s as good as new. I wouldn’t say it’s totally waterproof, things get a little damp when it’s really grim, I just put my stuff in a carrier bag first.

Specialized swat bibs are great too.

oink1
    Free Member

velobot – Member
    Dare I say a roadie type jersey with 3 big pockets on the back?

The only problem with this plan is that stuff tends to fall out! 👿

davosaurusrex

Not tried one but the Mavic crossrides are supposed to be really comfy

ontor
    Free Member

osprey talon 6 is very hard to beat

bruneep

I have the Osprey Talon 6, I know it has 2 x bottles but you don’t need to use them.

Its really comfortable and I don’t notice it when riding.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

The Source one had a good review in this months mag. Have a black one on stock order at present with Tredz.

fenred
    Free Member

I thought I’d give a hip/waist/bum/fanny pack a go a couple of years ago for local 1-2 hr rides. As a type 1 diabetic I need to carry more “spare” bits than your average rider. Off the back of a thread on here (started by stoner iirc) at the time I gave it a go with a cheap mountain warehouse job with a view to upgrading if I prefered it to my camelbak…Needless to say the same pack is still going strong. Don’t see or feel the need to spend 4X the price for anything better. 8)

mrhoppy

I got a Kalenji pack from decathlon, about £10 fits a pump, tube, multifoil, snack, keys and phone. Works really well as it’s quite stretchy to fit odds and sods in.

oink1
    Free Member

fenred – Member
    I thought I’d give a hip/waist/bum/fanny pack a go a couple of years ago for local 1-2 hr rides. As a type 1 diabetic I need to carry more “spare” bits than your average rider.

Representing!! *thumbsup* Good to see another T1 😀

rOcKeTdOg

I have the source one, very comfy & the mesh pockets on the waist straps are very handy

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I was thinking of taking a punt on one of these for £20

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/ultimate-performance-malham-1-l-waist-hydration-pack-p350681

SirHC

I was thinking of taking a punt on one of these for £20

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/ultimate-performance-malham-1-l-waist-hydration-pack-p350681

It holds a fair bit of stuff and a litre of water. It holds in place so long as you do the waist strap up reasonably snug. I tend to empty the bladder in the hip pack first to get weight off me, then use the bottle on the bike afterwards.

Kamakazie

Posted in the last thread about this but if you only want to take a few bits, then I can recommend the stretchy running belts on Amazon.

I bought the Moko one for £5.30 from Amazon and it’s be perfectly comfy for the last 2 rides (3hrs ish each).
    Takes my phone, keys, money & food with plenty room to spare.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Been looking lately, taken a punt on the GoOutdoors one above…will update when I’ve had a chance to try it out.

Rorschach
    Free Member

OMM waist pack.Big enough to get stuff in but small (and very light) that it’s pretty much forgettable.And it’s £20

fenred
    Free Member

Representing!! *thumbsup* Good to see another T1

**high fives oink** there’s a few of us on here mate. 🙂

GolfChick
    Free Member

I went to my closest ultimate outdoors and tried two Lowe alpine waist packs on, went with the smaller of the two for only I think £25. I now gloat at people on rides with their hot sweaty backs. It’s not waterproof so under a massive deluge things will get damp. It’s extremely easy to tip things out at the end of a ride, hose it off and leave it to dry or chuck it in the washing machine. The only problem with jersey pockets is when you ride 100 miles a week on average, the jersey will still need washing when you need it whereas the waist pack is always ready to go. If it’s loaded light so only phone and money I can’t even feel it now.

Might be getting a shock with a piggy back soon so I’m not happy about having to shell out double for a trendy pack with a bladder.

brakeforcake
    Free Member

At £20 I might take a punt on the hydration hip-pack from Go Outdoors. One thing I’d like to know is how does the hose attach securely to you/the pack when you’re not drinking from it? I’d be worried that it would dangle and go straight into the wheels!

ljs1977
    Free Member

I was after something similar but did not want to spend the earth in case I did not like it.

Stay away from anything “technical” or “cycle”. Got one of these from the local Tog 24 outlet for £10, its fab and pretty water proof.

HERE

benp1

I use the OMM 3l waist pouch or the Montane Batpack 6, depending on how much I need to carry

Both excellent and recommended!

toons
    Free Member

I use a dakine enduro hip pack; It’s awesome.

Not sure they make them anymore.

prawny

I’ve got a trespass one from the trespass shop. It’s got a pump, 2 tubes, multitool, a gel, keys and phone in with a bit of space to spare.

Cost £8 – looks gash. Perfect.

tang
    Free Member

I have a couple from mountainsmith, I think US only. I’ve a small one and a big one with shoulder straps, very well made and comfortable.
    http://mountainsmith.com/products/all-lumbar-packs.html
    Edit: some of the range seems available in the uk

mahalo

race face rip strip lumbar belt is back in stock. got one of them a few weeks ago. really impressed with the comfort and function. never even occured to me it would provide a bit of support to your lower back which it does and also keeps the old reg in check with the big wide strap! dont get loads in buty i like that its all in one place rather than filling and decanting my pockets before/after every ride…

fattyrider
    Free Member

**high fives oink** there’s a few of us on here mate.

dose T2 count 😀

thanks guys some good feed back i shall sift through it and make a purchase i am sure

johnny

Just done the same thing, sticking at the budget end of the market… The Go Outdoors Malham was the first option, but it’s very bouncy when very full of water. I’ve swapped it for the kalenji one from Decathlon, much slimmer, carries all the essentials and the zip/pocket shape is ideal to stick a 500mm water bottle in there too.

fenred
    Free Member

fattyrider – Member
    **high fives oink** there’s a few of us on here mate.
    dose T2 count

Only if you’re artificially squirting insulin and your pancreas is nearly dead! 😀

iain1775
    Free Member

The Source one had a good review in this months mag. Have a black one on stock order at present with Tredz.

Yep I got fed up of waiting on back order so ended up getting one cheaper from one of the German shops
    It’s great, love it
    https://www.bike24.com/p2171870.html (was only 64euros when I ordered)
    Can easily carry 1.5 litres of water ,phone, keys, card, cash, zip ties, pump, small lightweight waterproof, gels or two and a multitool and stays stable with the straps (which can be a bit fussy to get on and off until your practised at it)
    I stick spare tube and other bits in an Ortlieb micro saddle bag
    Only thing either the source or the Ortlieb lack is a tab for clipping on a light

lexhorton
    Free Member

+1 for mountain smith
    i got new backpack straps for them in the uk last year.
    the straps make it work well for riding, having a waist strap done up tight doesn’t work for me

jruk
    Free Member

Osprey Talon 6 here. Love it. Plenty of room for normal kit (pump, tube, multitool, Tubeless anchovy kit, small bottle of sealant,gilet, phone, keys, change, blah, blah, blah). Comes in a lovely gopping orange as well so matches none of my kit for the full enduro explosion in a paint factory look.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i love my camelback palos 4lr, its absolutely brilliant with no water in, rarely moves, very light and comfy, don’t notice its on at all, I have a bottle on frame so don’t use the hydration at all for night rides/shorter weekend rides

but when its full to the brim of water, it does tend to swish around a little bit and sticks out a fair bit more (giving it more leverage to move up and down), and feels a little more weighty on descents, obviously once you start to drink away it soon disappears

but for me it holds everything id take in a full back pack on a big weekend ride (just less the water obvs) but just not got the weight on my back so its win win, and its so nice on warm nights/shorter day rides not having a full pack on and letting your back breathe

mikertroid
    Free Member

Well I did a good couple of hours on Friday at the FoD on a variety of trails/Runs with my new Go Outdors Malham pack.

I set it up round my hips initially and I wasn’t impressed. After putting it up higher on my waist it felt much better and I couldn’t feel I was carrying anything. It stayed in place on jumps and drops and the only thing I’m trying to figure out is how to route the hose so you haven’t got too much flailing around.

I’m sure the Osprey and Camelbak options are better but for £25 inc p and p this is a good option for me to test the water (geddit?!) with the good old fanny pack!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Hip/waist bags’ is closed to new replies.