Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • hip op!!
  • cubemeup
    Free Member

if you read post before i was told that i have arthritis in my hip at 31!!

the reason they think is that my femur is too big for the socket and i might have had what they call a “slip” and injured it that way but i cant remember that happening.

all i am asking is there any of you on here who has had the op, its not a hip replacment they are going to shave and cap the bone if thats right.

whats the sort of recovery time and how long for i get back on the bike??

i had left knee recon 2 years ago ACL PCL and cartlagie repair which tooks me 10 weeks before i could get back on the back

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You’d be up and walking within 24hrs and around 6 weeks of limited range of movement to let the ligaments etc recover, then biking after that.

billysugger
    Free Member

Good luck with it

cubemeup
    Free Member

ended up with hip resurfacing!!! its now 2 weeks after my op and im busting to get out

cubemeup
    Free Member

well its been 23 weeks since my op im averaging around 40 miles on the MTB bike a week. fitness is back up confidence is some what lower on tight single track but strava is helping me notice my improvments.
    strength wise still way off and movment is much better compared to what it was like but most of all the pain has gone!

wwaswas

that’s good 🙂

Having broken a hip anyone with hip issues has my sympathy…

valleydaddy
    Free Member

great news Biggs 😀

Scapegoat

Similar diagnosis here, I have femoral acetabular impingement. Neck of the femur needs shaving. Can’t find a local hip surgeon willing to go at young hips (I’m 48) so the GP is seeking someone further afield.

The recovery time depends on what has to be done though. If the curtain of cartilage on the outside of the socket needs repairing, that can increase recovery time to about 10 weeks, even though the op is done arthroscopically.

Where did you have it done, and how long did you have to wait?

robbo
    Free Member

I had my hip replaced six weeks ago after septic arthritis ate my hip. Been on the turbo for three weeks and planning a quick ride round the block on Sunday. Bit early but I want to prove a point.

Good to hear of your successful recovery.

cubemeup
    Free Member

I had my hip done in Newport by mr Roberts very good surgeon I’m told. I was 12 weeks before my muscle recovered felt ok so I hit the turbo

m0nster2
    Free Member

Like Scapegoat, I have two FAIs. I’m 42.
    Clicky hippy

First noticed it because throwing my leg over the saddle was requiring the bike to be laid over more and more each time!

Had the left done in March … Cam and pincer. Relatively straightforward, but not to be taken lightly. Right’s scheduled for ‘Autumn’, so any time soon, really.
    Can see massive improvements, but foolish to think it’ll be back to ‘normal. Possibly ever’. Was up and walking in a week or two, but prolonged sitting, for example, still leaves a limp for a few minutes.
    Was cycling again within weeks, but still not back to full use, and perhaps never will: involuntary dabs on rooty stuff, for example, can be excruciating, and, more pertinently, affecting my bottle.
    Still relatively early days though.

Doing plenty of exercise: Limited martial arts and plenty of road riding.

All on the NHS and service has been nothing short of fantastic.
    Advice: ‘any’ exercise is not a substitute for the proper, impossibly mundane, almost trivial prescribed physio. They know their stuff… Don’t skip it for riding, running etc.

Good luck, all.

jamesco

16 weeks in from THR here, improvement is nothing short of miraculous, but as Monster says take time and listen to physios, they know their stuff. Aching to get out on bike is best let subside , replace with rest and slow steady improvements in recovering full and comfortable movement. Surgeon told me that younger fit men find it takes longer to effect full recovery as the invasive damage tends to be greater and of course expectations for return to previous full fitness are much higher. Talk of returning to full fitness in 6 weeks is misleading and dangerous as failure of the joint is a real risk until total healing has taken place, physio here said be prepared to take 18 months to be right back up there which is fair enough given how much better I am already than before the op.

cubemeup
    Free Member

im 8 months after my op feeling great no pain just a little limp when i walk but thats due to me not correcting myself. had my first OTB in FoD sunday landed on my HIP but was fine!! the future Bright

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘hip op!!’ is closed to new replies.