Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Hip injury whilst going OTB
  • thecrookofdevon

Whilst out last Tuesday night off road in the howling gale and snow having a marvellous time started to traverse across a hill only to go OTB. Nothing out of the ordinary there only unusually I stayed clipped in to my left pedal. Had a bit of bruise coming up on near my knee but basically wiped snow off and continued on my way home.
    Next day hip is extremely tender and I need to limp about. I carried on at work for next couple of days with things getting progressively worse. By Friday I need to go to my GP. After about 2 minutes GP tells me it is tendinitis. “Will be very sore for next 4-6 weeks. Here are some drugs – grin and bare it. Rest.”
    Today at work I basically seize up unable to get up stairs, walk. Drove 20 miles home in same gear as unable to use clutch.
    So what the hell have I done? Constant dull pain. Occasional acute pain. Seems okay in the morning gets worse as the day goes on.

lucien

How old are you, what volume of riding do you do, weight, any other bruising yet, previous injuries…..?

thecrookofdevon

47. Ride 2 or 3 times per week. Every Sunday 3-5 hours usually. At least one 1 1/2 -2 hour night/evening ride. Almost always off-road sometimes on road. 13 1/2 stone (6ft 3ish). No bruising around injury. Cartilage op about 5 years ago very minor. Torn calf about 3 years ago.
    BTW now I think about it, it is not really my hip but more the joint between my thigh and my pelvis – whatever you call that.

enfht
    Free Member

Roadie background per chance?

Why people insist on clipping their feet onto their pedals offroad is baffling.

Hope you heal quickly.

thecrookofdevon

No not roadie background. Best described as ‘old skool mtb’. Tend to be able to ride most stuff clipped in. I know I should be able to ride with flats but I can’t, just feel perched on the bike rather than part of it.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Torn Cremaster.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why people insist on clipping their feet onto their pedals offroad is baffling.

PMSL plenty come off badly with flats too.

Did something similar before christmas and clattered through my bip on the bars. Felt like I couldn’t move but it eased with stretching etc.

Probably go see a physio and see what they can do, much more likely to be able to deal with it than a GP in 10mins.

thecrookofdevon

Had to look up torn cremaster. Thanks but definitely wrong area. Think towards the outside of the thigh rather than near my balls.
    PMSL. Had to look that one up as well. Now I understand. Was told minimum wait for physio was 10 weeks unless I was self-employed?

enfht
    Free Member

PMSL plenty come off badly with flats too

Agreed, me included. But I wouldn’t risk additional injury by attaching myself to 30 pound of metal every time I fall off 😉

Example, last year I went OTB and fell headfirst into a dried up river bed, probably 15 feet in all. I landed like a ninja 8) but it would have been very ugly had I been clipped in.

njee20
    Free Member

You realise virtually every good world cup DH racer uses clipless pedals I assume? I think they’re doing more ‘hardcore’ riding than at least half the Singletrack heroes 🙄

thecrookofdevon

So just to get this clear, I am not after advice as to how to ride my bike been doing that pretty successfully and virtually injury free for 20 years. Just wondered if the more medically minded on here might know what I might have done and consequently what I need to do to get better.

yunki
    Free Member

just to add fuel to the flames in the pedal debate (sorry crookofdevon, hope you feel better soon, I’m not medically minded but I suspect that you’ve ‘hurt your leg’.. nice name by the way 😀 ) but if a world cup DH racer comes a cropper there’s a good chance that it’s gonna hurt clipped in or not..

If any of us STW off road mincers part company with our bikes there’s a good chance we’ll have time to loosen our girdles and light our pipe before we make contact with anything.. I doubt even a baby fluffy bunny would bother to move out of the way..
    being attached to the bike is definitely the biggest risk factor in the equation..

spd’s are a silly affectation for dandies of a narcissistic disposition.. (no offence intended)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Was told minimum wait for physio was 10 weeks unless I was self-employed?

Skip that call local private physio and pay for consultation. The normal NHS physio route allows you to mostly heal (badly) while you wait so you wont need the appointment (not always true but can happen)

spd’s are a silly affectation for dandies of a narcissistic disposition.. (no offence intended)

Agreed, me included. But I wouldn’t risk additional injury by attaching myself to 30 pound of metal every time I fall off

whatever….

thecrookofdevon

Desperately trying to not get into the spd versus flats debate as this is not point. However may need to fling myself in as a form of pain relief. In fact maybe that is the answer. I shall trawl the threads on STW and have a series of barnies which will deflect the gnawing pain in my leg. Always wondered some people were such argumentative buggers on here. Now I know they are all injured!

thecrookofdevon

Thanks mikewsmith. May just do that.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Sounds like ilia tibial band or hip rotator twattage.

Ignore everything your GP says, find a sports physio and get ready to hurt a lot. They’ll have you rightin a couple of weeks.

thecrookofdevon

‘Hip rotator twattage’ you must be medical! Care to elaborate.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Twatted your hip and strained/pulled the hip rotator cuff.

Lots of nerves going through there so you ca get funny symptoms. I was getting crippling nervous pains in my knee due to damaged hip rotator cuff muscles, so my hip was out of line and compressing a nerve.

enfht
    Free Member

Wean yourself off spd’s, try one foot at a time 😀

cinnamon_girl

Use a physio that’s been personally recommended, soon.

thecrookofdevon

Taken the day off as not really safe to drive. Will probably spend much of day reading bizarre theories posted on internet forums.

russianbob
    Free Member

enfht – you’re clearly talking nonsense.

Example, last year I went OTB and fell headfirst into a dried up river bed, probably 15 feet in all. I landed like a ninja but it would have been very ugly had I been clipped in.

Last year. A DRIED UP river bed. Rubbish. There was nothing dried up last year.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Example, last year I went OTB and fell headfirst into a dried up river bed, probably 15 feet in all. I landed like a ninja but it would have been very ugly had I been clipped in.

Did one of those on the Anne Carro run in Chatel, clips were not the problem missing the bridge was 🙂 Landed clean out of them on my head bike still on the bridge.

thecrookofdevon

Not being at work seems to be doing the trick. Should try this more often.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Twatted your hip and strained/pulled the hip rotator cuff.

The what? Hip rotator cuff?

My more serious stab in the dark thought would be a labral tear – think of it like a gasket around your hip joint.

wwaswas

I broke my hip doing an OTB clipped in. Smarted a bit.

As above get some private physio ASAP and some idea of exercises to do.

Plus neurofen and mtfu.

thecrookofdevon

Tried mtfu but couldn’t ended up weeping in a heap hence STW. Will look up labral tear.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Hip injury whilst going OTB’ is closed to new replies.