Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • hillsborough.. some unheard views aired
  • nealglover
    Free Member

Roker Park has never had fences up, as far as I’m aware, and I don’t think St James’ did either, there was no need for them.

St James’ did have a perimeter fence down one side and both ends, plus radial pens.

Roker park only had radial pens, but no perimeter fence.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

paulosoxo – Member

Has anyone commenting on this thread ever actually stood on the terraces at Hillsborough?

Yes, me, on the East Bank for my sins and for too long, in the dark, dark days of Jack Charlton, Tommy Tynan, Roger Wilde, Jeff Johnson, Chris Turner et al.

You were hardly likely to be crushed as the standing joke used to be “I turned to the bloke next to me and said -OI!”

I kicked our flask over and it went down about 20 steps before it hit the person in front.

Only when big clubs came did it fill up, they were just crap at managing large number of fans in an era when fighting came first, then the football.

Northwind

chrismac – Member

Football is the only sport where the fans had to be caged to stop them causing trouble.

Clearly you’ve never watched a Starcraft tournament.

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Not to mention the fact that journalists were pickpocketing injured fans on the pitch to gather information.

WTF? I mean really, WTF? And not at the journalists, but at the muppet making that assertion. Links, evidence, testimony? Anything to substantiate it?

Yes journalists in the UK sometimes push the envelope, but I would be massively surprised if this was the case. We really should stop giving the media such a kicking as it is an overwhelmingly positive force in our democracy.

And FFS, Hillsborough was a truly terrible disaster and people did wrong – but what are we going to achieve by endlessly raking over the coals beyond feeding the Merseyside Misery Machine?

Cletus
    Free Member

At the time of Hillsborough I was a season ticket holder on the Kippax (Man City, Maine Road) which was the biggest terrace in England occupying the whoe of one side of the ground.

There were fences between the terrace and the pitch but the terrace did not have fences running from the top of the stand to the pitch to create pens. You could walk from one end of the Kippax to the other. I think if the Hillsborough stand had been one big area like the Kippax the tragedy would not have occurred (or at least been far less severe) as fans could have spread out. The stadium design seems to have been a major factor in what happened.

thered

WTF? I mean really, WTF? And not at the journalists, but at the muppet making that assertion. Links, evidence, testimony? Anything to substantiate it?

Yes journalists in the UK sometimes push the envelope, but I would be massively surprised if this was the case. We really should stop giving the media such a kicking as it is an overwhelmingly positive force in our democracy.

And FFS, Hillsborough was a truly terrible disaster and people did wrong – but what are we going to achieve by endlessly raking over the coals beyond feeding the Merseyside Misery Machine?

Very sensible post until this, the families of the dead deserve to have their names completely exonerated and then remembered as the innocent victims that they are.

IMO what the police did on that day and their lies since is unforgiveable and the blame must lie in the main with them but some responsibility has to be shouldered by those that got hammered, arrived late and then forced barriers and turnstiles.

Junkyard
    Free Member

We really should stop giving the media such a kicking as it is an overwhelmingly positive force in our democracy.

Do you live in the UK?

Murdock and the right wing anti E bias of the press a positive force for democracy?

the interesting thing is the written media could not reprot news liek that on tv – it is allowed to be partial in its coverage
    This is not good for democracy IMHO The holding of power in a few hands is not good for democracy as it encourages politicians to try to get his ear to garner his support.
    they also print a load of shit and lies time and time again
    they spin things and the distort

For every Guardian snowdon campaign there are hundreds of salacious celebrity gossip and distorted half truth reporting of facts

The devolution vote is a good example of the tactics they use as is the reporting on the EU
    they could, and should, be something we are proud of. They are not, they are not even close

ninfan
    Free Member

The stadium design seems to have been a major factor in what happened.

Finding out about what happened there in ’81 in the spurs vs wolves match reinforces this

The stadium was an disaster waiting to happen, and narrowly avoided once before, like so many things, its not one simple mistake by the police on the day, but a series of cumulative factors that created the tragedy.

MoreCashThanDash

@thered – the victims have been exonerated, apologies in Parliament etc which I think is why some of us question, in our individual ways of phrasing it, what this hugely expensive inquest will achieve, rather than spending the money on investigating the coverup or something that may benefit wider society.

Regretable turn of phrase “Merseyside Misery Machine” in this particular case.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@Cletus – sadly not. The Leppings Lane terrace was small front to back with a large central tunnel. The surge down the tunnel and onto the terrace was a common sight. Sadly, the opportunity to spill left and right was hard to achieve and contributed to the crush at the front.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘hillsborough.. some unheard views aired’ is closed to new replies.