Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hills Killer Bike Set Up Help
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

I have a bike I use for XC stuff set up with 1(34)x10 which has been fine for pretty much everything i have asked of it other than some very steep sections of the SDW when the legs got fatigued. A friend has asked me to join him on an event called Hills Killer on the IOW in Sept, and I have been informed that the hills are worse than most things on the SDW.

SO, what is the most cost efficiant way of giving myself enough gearing option so I don’t have to get off and push? I am I doomed to going back to a double and having to buy a front mech to fit a Whippet frame? Or is there a single set up that would be a better option?

And before anyone starts telling me they could do it on a singlespeed, I couldn’t so it’s not helpful 😉

whatnobeer
    Free Member

What cassette are you running at the back? If you’re not running a 36 that could be an option, equally a smaller front ring would also make the steep bits easier. 32 and 30th tooth n/w rings are available.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Thank you. Will check when I get home.

johnj2000
    Free Member

If I did change to a smaller ring up front would I need to shorter the chain at all or could I happily swap between a 30 and 34 as and when I needed?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Options
    Bigger rear cassette – cost of cassette maybe a few more links of chain needed/new chain
    Expander Rear Cassette Cog – 40/42t rear new chain needed too
    Smaller front ring – cost of ring problem is you will spin out quicker

johnj2000
    Free Member

Thanks Mike I think I will go for the smaller front ring option. With my 34 I have no issues at all other than on very steep climbs so I should be able to afford a move done to 32 or possibly 30 for that particular ride as it sounds like the key to it is being able to get up hills rather than travelling fast on the flat, so spinning out might not be a concern.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Think the awfulness of the hills in the Hills Killer has been greatly exaggerated. If you ride your bike regularly, are halfway fit and have ten gears, you’ll get up them all without having to do anything special.

My memory of the SDW is that the climbs were bigger, longer and steeper and more of a grind than the ones on the IOW.

And yes, I did* the last Hills Killer on a singlespeed.

*Walked a couple of bits of – the very last bit of up onto Wroxall Down and the climb up the Tennyson Trail on to the golf course near the end. And I’m not especially fit.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Hmmmmm the guy who told me about it spends a fair amount of time on the road so maybe he isn’t used to proper hills 😉

StefMcDef
    Free Member

It is similar to the SDW – winching yourself up on to the top of a bit of downland, then along the top for a bit, then a descent, then up the next one soon after. But if anything it’s like the SDW in miniature. I found the SDW a lot tougher than anything on the Isle of Wight – possibly because it keeps on comin’ at ya – it was like the 70 Hills Killer.

john_l
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the Hills Killer a few times, on ‘cross bikes & singlespeed mtbs ;o) The 2 hills that I usually walk are the climbs out of Appleford & Canada Wood – extra gears aren’t that much on these IME. I’d stick with what you’ve got.

It’s a great ride & lovely views if the weather’s good.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Thanks all

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hills Killer Bike Set Up Help’ is closed to new replies.