• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by wl.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tents: Hilleberg Soulo – anyone got one?
  • wl
    Free Member

As title, really. Thinking about a bombproof 4-season mountain tent that will last for many years. Always fancied one of these but they’re megabucks. Anyone got any experience, or tips for getting hold of one for less than the hefty UK price tag? I know they’re about £150 cheaper in the US. I have a mate there who could probably post one to me, thereby dodging any duty. Ta.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

We’ve got a 2 man tunnel tent. Amazingly well made – materials are a different league to the mass market stuff and they’ll repair it if it tears or breaks.

However, they are proper 4 season tents – under ventilated for summer use.

dazzlingboy

Yes – it’s the bollox. Last weekend in the Cairngorms. 40-50mph wind, -5C and snowing. I slept like a log.

I’m a DofE exped supervisor = 20% off otherwise there’s no way I’d stretch to £600+ for a one man, overly heavy/built tent.

I have a Terra Nova Superlite Voyager which is cheaper, nearly half the weight and fits two at a pinch. It has 90% of the capability but when you need that extra something – like in a blizzard in the Gorms in January – there’s only one tent I’d take with me.

wl
    Free Member

dazzling – cheers. Very interesting, because I’ve got a TN Voyager Superlite already. It’s a good tent, roomy and light, but it flaps and wobbles like mad in strong wind – makes a good night’s sleep hard. Having said that, it is still in one piece. It leaked in a very heavy Scottish downpour, but I’ve since sealed the seams – hoping this has worked. Was looking at the Soulo as my one, do-it-all tent if I flog the Voyager. I have a brilliant old Wild Country Mistral for 2-man duties.

simons – cheers for this. Good to know about ventilation.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Ours is a Nammatj (couldn’t remember earlier). http://hilleberg.se/product-family/nammatj-nammatj-gt

The Soulo might be different but part of the ‘four seasonness’ means the fly goes right to the ground so there’s nothing coming in there.

martinhutch

Hillebergs are awesome and well-rated tents. You are very unlikely to come a cropper even in really bad conditions.

stevious

I have a couple of Hilleberg tents that I got when they were 20% off a few years ago – a weeny lightweight one-man and their answer to the TN Quasar. Both are excellent tents – the build quality and ease of use is even better than the Terra Nova tents that they replaced. I can’t speak for the Soulo itself but can’t recommend Hilleberg as a brand highly enough.

kennyp
    Free Member

I’ve got an Akto, had it about 5 years now and it’s still as good as new. Used it in all sorts of conditions including blizzards. Never let me down once. Not cheap, but over the course of time I’d say excellent value for money.

wl
    Free Member

Great – this is the sort of feedback I’m after. A mate has a Soulo and he loves his, so I’ve seen the quality up close. Just wanted to see if his experience was typical. Hilleberg never seems to get discounted though, unfortunately. Still, I’d expect to use it for many, many years, which would help bring down the ‘cost per camp’. Keep the info coming. Cheers.

dazzlingboy

+1 on the quality. I have 2 Tentipis, terra nova, TNF ve 25, MSR Storm King, Macpac etc. All awesome tents in their own way and nothing, with the exception of a tentipi which is a very different animal, is as well built as the Soulo. My North Face westwind, which has done nearly 20 years service, is pretty close but the tunnel design is not as user friendly as the freestanding Soulo. It’s the only tent I’ve seen which is genuinely freestanding too – no reliance on pegging. You can use rocks/bags/skis on the guys if necessary but no pegs needed for the tent to be pitched (although they obviously help).

It is also very warm – solid inside unlike the mesh of the Voyager which lets winter wind whistle straight through. Ventilation not great in the summer in the Soulo, but what do you care? You’ve got a Voyager for the summer!

Akto – I’m not a fan personally. I’ve camped with a few and you have to pitch them spot on IME otherwise they flap like crazy. They also are dependant on good peg placement. They are much lighter than the Soulo though.

noltae
    Free Member

I love my Soulo – It’s worth the money – bombproof kit – gives you that little extra feeling of security when the bad weather kicks in – Especially if you like pitching up high during winter .. It literally eats up gale force winds ! I’ll give Alpenstock in Stockport a plug and say their a pleasure to buy from …

dazzlingboy

Oh one other thing occurs to me wl which you can compare with your Voyager. I’m 5’11” – so no giant but tall enough. I find it difficult to sit up in the Voyager – not quite enough headroom to get dressed etc. Soulo is definitely that bit taller – decent headroom.

johnmerry
    Free Member

I have a Nallo 2, comfy for one, cosy for two, it’s ten years old but as good as new, tougher than it looks and feels.

wl
    Free Member

Cheers all – pretty much sold on the Soulo. Now who should I see for a mortgage?

dazzling – don’t suppose it’s a Macpac Microlight you have, is it? Always wondered how they perform. Cheers for all your info so far – very helpful.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tents: Hilleberg Soulo – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.