Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Hill walking – recommend me some kit
  • 40mpg

I want to do some hill walking this year (more specifically the missus does, I’m not one to argue!). Based on the south coast, it’ll mean a few weekends away to find the hills first.I’d love to do a bit of walking in snow if we get the chance.

What would your kit list consist of? And any recommended brands for key items? We’ve got decent boots, but other stuff is suitable only for a bit of a ramble rather than proper hill stuff and I’d rather be properly prepared for weather* and situations.

*Was up Pen-y-Fan exactly a week before those guys got struck by lightning last year, so quite conscious of this at present.

footflaps

I’m selling my favourite winter walking soft shell jacket as I no longer fit it (chest was 38″, now 42″)..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BU4CxK]Rab Baltoro Guide Jacket[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CP9jSE]Rab Baltoro Guide Jacket[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

£50 posted….

scotroutes

A good waterproof jacket – as breathable as you can afford. Goretex and Event fabrics are still the most likely you’ll come across. Rab, Mountain Equipment and Montane are all good brands.
    Decent waterproof trousers – you might want to save a bit of cash on these as you’ll only want to put them on when it’s really wet.
    Gaiters – great for when it’s muddy.
    A mid-layer of some sort. Fleece still works well. No need for something really heavy.
    Baselayer top. Wicking. I like zipped necks for adjustability. Avoid merino or cotton as they will soak up too much sweat, take ages to dry and feel cold on the skin.
    Polycotton trousers are OK if it’s more poly than cotton 🙂 I prefer something like the Montane Terras. You can go for something fancy like Schoeller Dryskin though as that tends to be cosy, stretchy, water-resistant and fast drying.
    A decent rucksack. Don’t make it huge or it’ll sag uncomfortably. Too small and it will also be uncomfortable on the back. 20-25 litre range.

Map, compass and the skills to use them.

You don’t need much more really. No need to get hung up on the big brands either. A trip to Decathlon would sort you out.

Get a good few miles under your belt before you consider winter walking (i.e. in snow). Get trained in the use of ice-axe and crampons and then you’ll likely need different boots too, warmer kit, goggles a bigger bag, spare clothing etc. TBH, winter walking is a whole different thing and worth a thread on its own!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Wear your bike stuff. Based in what you’ve said you don’t need to buy much at this stage. I have virtually no hiking specific gear I double up other kit, eg sailing trousers. If its really cold I have ski gear I can wear (although again my sailing/biking base layer doubles up for this).

Pen Y Fan – cheap commuter bike top. Out of shot cotton sailing trousers, windproof gilet underneath. Can post simila photos from top,of Snowden on bitterly cold and windy October day

EDIT: how was your beach ride ?

13thfloormonk

Pretty much what Scotroutes said, I use the same kit almost year round just layering appropriately:

Endura Baa-baa merino long sleeved top
    Micro fleece mid-layer if cold
    Montane windproof jacket (the one that stuffs into a wee tennis ball sized sac)
    Goretex shell jacket.
    Quick drying trousers (mountain equipment or berghaus)
    Osprey 33 litre rucsac (feels a little empty on summer dayhikes but is just big enough for single overnighters so a good compromise)
    Fairly basic overtrousers that I keep meaning to replace with something lighter and more packable. Full length zips are handy on the overtrousers, means you can ‘vent’ them if one side isn’t being exposed to the rain.

I would almost prioritise nice long sleeves with adjustable cuffs and a roomy adjustable hood over the quality of the material for the shell jacket, I reckon if you’re paying over £100 for a shell jacket they’re probably all much of a muchness for breathability (i.e. if you’re working hard in your rain jacket you’ll probably get sweaty, I certainly manage to work up a sweat inside my Gore Tex Pro Shell…).

Winter gear is a different ball game, you could get lucky just sticking a pair of microspike crampons over your summer boots but all it takes is one steep or slippy slope and suddenly you’ll be wishing for an axe and crampons and proper winter boots etc…

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Gore-Tex shell jacket – loads in sales this time of year. Shell only not padded or insulated like ski jacket

Insulated jacket – primaloft or equivalent (artificial down, stays warm when wet)

Thin fleece

Base layer – Helly etc

Lightweight/mid weight fast drying trousers

Cheap waterproof pants. As mentioned only put on if it suddenly rains loads, breathability not essential

25l bag

Hat, gloves and buff

Compass, map, head torch and ability to use them

Cheap silver survival bag

Knife – because.

wilburt
    Free Member

I like Bridgedale socks based purely on there durability, other than that most stuff is ok. I have a crag hopper coat and a cheap berghaus fleece bought in a sale 10 years ago that have served me well.

Walking sticks are useful if your doing long distances or gradients.

dragon
    Free Member

TBH if you are only going up the likes of Pen-Y-Fan, under normal conditions (i.e. no snow/ice), then you can get away with stuff you probably mostly have already. Only essentials are a waterproof coat & trousers (Berghaus Deluge are good for the price) fleece, hat, gloves, map and compass. Oh and NO jeans.

boblo
    Free Member

Scotroutes, Monk and Rogan have it.

Only addition would be a small first aid kit and phone. BUT DON’T RELY ON IT! Often zero signal and if you start fannying around following the GPS, the battery will be flat when/if you need to call reinforcements.

Minor point, I’m stuck in the ’90s and personally can’t be arsed with fancy troos. I’m still in running tights/Ron Hill’s rather than modern troos. I also can’t abide merino as it gets soaked then cold then you do likewise. Stick to synthetic; smelly Helly if budget is an issue. Carry a Primaloft jumper as an extra backup. They’re light and fantastic.

Last; something like Montane Atomic for overtroos. Cheap and light. You’ll be carrying them mostly and if you really need them, wet soon enough. No point spending lots.

mark90
    Free Member

Pen-Y-Fan, under normal conditions (i.e. no snow/ice), then you can get away with stuff you probably mostly have already. ……. Oh and NO jeans.

It would appear that jeans, superdry hoody and addidas trainers (do not do up the laces) are the de rigueur attire for Pen-Y-Fan 🙂

failedengineer

Best article of clothing I’ve ever had for Winter walking is my Montane Active Smock. Cheaper and better (IMHO) than a Buffalo.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Jeans, flipflops, cotton t-shirt.

Asda sandwich and a can of coke in a plastic bag.

Off the beaten path? A road atlas.

dragon
    Free Member

It would appear that jeans, superdry hoody and addidas trainers (do not do up the laces) are the de rigueur attire for Pen-Y-Fan

TBF in good conditions and coming from the A470 car park Pen-Y-Fan is a piece of p*ss and you’d be fine in those clothes. I’d not recommend it, but 99 times out of 100 you’d be perfectly fine.

robj20
    Free Member

Some people overdo it a bit in this country if you ask me, all the gear and no idea usually comes to mind when i’m out and about.
    They walk into GoOutdoors and write a blank cheque it seems. Many times seen people on glorious days walking with enough stuff on there back to survive in the wilderness for weeks, and that’s Rivington.
    Then there are the dangerous ones half way up striding edge with trainers and a t-shirt on, wading through 3 feet of snow.

Fancy clothes don’t matter, they can be more comfortable sure but navigating and general knowledge is what counts.

matt_outandabout

All that they said, plus a torch.

I buy cheap, thin fleeces, good baselayers and waterproof jacket, cheaper overtrousers (they get trashed), most comfy boots I can (and usually waterproof trainers these days, unless snow/ice/waterlogged).

40mpg

Footflaps – I’ve just bought a softshell (Dare2Be, Go Outdoors, more expensive than yours and not as good). Thats my size too d’oh!

Other than getting a decent hardshell (I’ve got an old Berghaus cheap one that I wouldn’t trust up a mountain) I reckon I’ve got most of that from cycling anyway. May have to get the wife some kit though.

I carry a small first aid kit (and know how to use it!) and foil blanket when cycling. Is it worth getting a 2-person survival bag/shelter?

Also I’m a map and compass man and can use them too!

PS last time I was up Pen Y Fan (June) it was freezing and pissing down, and there were hoards up there in flip flops and cardigans

Jambalaya see HERE

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

The only non bike stuff I wear for walking up the moontains, are underwear trousers and boots. Everything else doubles up.

benp1

I’d be shocked if you couldn’t walk up in your biking gear.

I stopped wearing boots for hillwalking years ago, just wear trail runners now (though I’m usually biking rather than walking if I’m in the hills!)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

footflaps I’ll take the Rab jacket if it’s a medium

footflaps

footflaps I’ll take the Rab jacket if it’s a medium

Yep, M

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BTWuNb]Rab Baltoro Guide Jacket[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Drop me a mail to footflaps at yahoo co uk

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any shouts on decent approach trainers for 70 quid?, I need something a bit lighter than my boots.

enfht
    Free Member

Hill w*nking is all the rage nowadays.

fasthaggis

Nobeer

merrill

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

FH – I used to always buy Merrell, but the last 2 pairs haven’t lasted well at all.

timc
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Any shouts on decent approach trainers for 70 quid?, I need something a bit lighter than my boots.

I got some north face ones from Blacks in the sale although more for general use.

Stoner
    Free Member

FH – I used to always buy Merrell, but the last 2 pairs haven’t lasted well at all.

I cant stand merrells. Cant abide cheap vibram soles too.

Comfiest Ive found lately are the Karrimor Hot Rock Low approach shoes. £31 from Sports Direct, Mike Astley’s a nasty bastard R Us Field & Trek. They last about 18months used every day, with a hefty 95Kg lump balanced on top of them. Ive not had approach shoes of any price last any longer.

I have some big leather scarpas for wet winter walking, some fantastic Ecco syntheic mid boots which are light as a feahter but wonderfully supportive which I keep in the Alps. And the rest of the time I just use approach shoes.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I like Paramo clothing, but not everyone does.

Stoner
    Free Member

they always look like some kind of drenched-duvet-dressed-dishevelled geography teacher-wear.

thegreatape
    Free Member

They certainly do. It’s a great disguise 🙂

I’m still on old stuff, I think there are newer garments that are not specifically targeted at the elderly.

the-muffin-man

Hills, you’ll need some hills.

Artisan ones though, not the bland old normal ones.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Stoner. How do those Karrimors size up? I need some cheap walking shoes for work.

Stoner
    Free Member

I’m a “big” 12, so wear the 13/47.
    Fit very well, even with chunky socks.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Thanks mate,I’ll have a punt for that price.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I use cordura type fabric work trousers (when it not wet) as I find they are tough, cheap, dry well and quite good in the wind. Wadd some over trousers and I’m fine.

hora
    Free Member

Evening. See if you can find any nearly new Altberg field & fell Microlite boots. Mine are soooooooooooooo nice 🙂

Any sock recommendations? Merino blend too warm?

Christian
    Free Member

For Clothing i Use a few different brands that i would recommend, Arcteryx and fjall raven for sheer quality, paramo too but all fairly pricey. Rab, montane and berghaus i have too and all quality gear and some of their ranges more affordable than the ones first mentioned.
    If you can afford it Arcteryx is second to none in my eyes for attention to detail, i buzz when i get the chance to wear any of their gear, superb!!

ski
    Free Member

Kendal mint cake, good quality snuff, strong coffee in a decent flask, jam sarnie and a shot of whiskey to bless the summit 🙂

Perfected over 30 years

RustySpanner

Cycling jerseys as base layers – Decathlon, mostly.

Selection of fleeces, depending on weather – Decathlon, from the hunting section – cheaper than the hiking specific stuff, fine if you like green.
    🙂

Softshells from the sailing section – much nicer and cheaper than the hiking ones.
    😀

I do tend to buy good Gore-Tex/Event shells though – they are certainly worth the cash.
    Current Mountain Equipment one is about 18 months old, half price because it was ‘last years colour’.
    That was £100 saved.

I do have a Gore bike jacket too, but it’s a bit snug for winter walking over a fleece.

dknwhy

My normal hill kit is a berghaus 3 layer gore tex shell jacket. HH base layer and 5.11 tactical tdu ripstop trousers with brasher boots and decathlon hiking socks with a decathlon soft shell or montane primaloft top in my rucksack (karrimor hot rock 30).
    I got the 5.11 trousers as an alternative to fjallraven after reading some good online reviews. They’re great and pretty inexpensive considering the build quality.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

A whistle.

It’s worth keeping an eye on paramo 2nds and paramo xtras on eBay. Some real bargains now and again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Hill walking – recommend me some kit’ is closed to new replies.