Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hiking clothing in winter
  • roper
    Free Member

Now the weather is turning we need new winter hiking clothing for me, wife and 10 year old. Preferably, suitable for all day walking.
    We have not experienced a UK winter for 16 years, so probably a bit behind the times. There there a one stop shop to get all our clobber? If not any good brands to look for? Budget range would be preferable but willing to pay for long lasting.

footflaps

You get a pretty good range of weather and temperature condition in the UK over winter…

Are we talking low level bimble on a nice day in December or slogging across the Cairngorm Plateau, mid January, in 120mph gusting wind?

The former I’d be in shorts, the latter probably not…

nuke

I’ll get in first with saying Decathlon…great VFM and good well-designed kit; I spend quite a bit of my time wandering fields/forests and its certainly my go-to place for kit

footflaps

I’ll get in first

Denied!

tjagain

Go outdoors has a good range of stuff – just layer up and have good waterproofs!

jakd95
    Free Member

Take a look at Alpkit too! I’ve not had a bad piece of kit from them.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

just layer up and have good waterproofs!

This. Even on the coldest of winter days I usually only wear a baser layer plus a loose, breathable top and maybe a wind/water proof jacket (thin) if needed.

I don’t find my legs get particularly cold so normally wear just some cheap craghoppers.

I got most of my stuff from Sports Direct and none of it was expensive.

csb

Footwear is the bit that will mess up a nice walk. Get nice waterproof boots.

footflaps

I don’t find my legs get particularly cold so normally wear just some cheap craghoppers.

I either wear shorts of power stretch leggings if it’s really cold (as in sub zero).

+1 for Alpkit – good value, nice kit. Not as well made or designed as Arcteryx etc, but 1/3 the price…

CountZero

The Decathlon ultralight down jackets are excellent value for general wear, although they leak down all over the place, that’s the difference between a £40 jacket and one costing £200, along with the down not having a water-resistant treatment. A good base layer, a thin fleece mid and a Decathlon down jacket, with a decent waterproof when things get really crappy shouldn’t cost a fortune from the likes of Decathlon or Mountain Warehouse.

footflaps

Just seen Appkit have a sale on at the moment..

I have their Heiko insulted jacket, which is a good mid layer on colder days…

I mainly bought it as it didn’t have a hood and it’s hard to find jackets without one (I prefer to wear a beanie if it’s cold).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hiking clothing in winter’ is closed to new replies.