Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hiking / Biking rucksacks
  • fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

Looking for a reasonable capacity hiking / cycling back pack 40-50ltrs

I am currently doing my day hike leaders award and undertaking walk the wight in 2 months.
    I would use it for carrying a tripod and camera equipment for cycling as well as the standards.

As much as I would love a berghaus free flow – i could have got one at the outdoor show in London but bought some superstar pedals instead.

I have so far found this:
    http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=200-3132

what do you use thats sub £40?

midlifecrashes

I bought the equivalent one a couple of years ago(poss next size up) and used it happily for the Pennine Way, it was fine. Possibly a bit long for comfy biking due to the back of your head hitting the top of it, but go in and try one on. I loaded mine up in the shop to check it would be OK.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

gusamc
    Free Member

Hi

for that sort of size(aka weight) the straps could possibly be a bit thin (padding/width) (I’ve gone from an old Berghaus to a Deuter Speedlite in a sale) and as I carry a fair weight probably wouldn’t get a Speedlite again – very light, well made etc but the price of weight is thin straps and occasionally it digs in… I’d also make sure you can get the hip strap to take the weight. Another thing I’ve noticed is the thiness of the backpad – ie on the Berghaus nothing ever dug into my back – on the Speedlite I occasionally have to adjust contents you might want to consider that for awkward objects.

I’d shop around (ebay etc) as you might get a quality bargain… (is there a Decathalon near you )

donsimon
    Free Member

Decathlon.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

I have found the decathlon equivalent at £35 so only 15 notes more

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/forclaz-37-ultralight-35306075/#TAILLE

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

40-50 litres is a very large pack for cycling – it’s the size I would use for a full 2 day walk with tent, cooking equipment etc. If you are filling that it would probably be too heavy and too long to cycle with.

For big days out on the bike I use the Osprey Talon 20 which has tons of room plus a helmet carrier. It is incredibly comfortable on the bike, more so than my Camelbak Mule, and really well designed. Have a look at the 35 litre which should be big enough. Not cheap, but for carrying that weight on the bike you will need something good

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

carrying weight is no issue, i’m used to exercises using a 120 litre bergan running and diving every where and long maintained walks in formation with a rifle and webbing.

househusband

I’ve got a Vau De Triset 25+4; the Triset is a range specifically designed for the UK market – very pleased with mine, and I bought it on eBay for way loads less than the rrp. There’s a range of sizes:

Linky

nickname
    Free Member

If your willing to down to 30L (perfect for day sack), then this.

http://www.climbers-shop.com/21593/products/Karrimor_Hot_Rock_30.aspx

I’ve had mine for about 5 years, used most days for cycling, but also used it for hiking/climbing in winter and summer. It’s large enough for overnighters too. Bro’s got the same but had his for about 8 years, so its toughness is proven.

Bare in mind the newer versions look like a different material, and are probably not as good, but the one in the link looks exactly the same as mine and has lifetime guarantee.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

my current school, hike, cycle rucksack is a nike 6.0 triad 29 litre so going up to a 30 is of no point imo.

The decathlon looks very good atm

BadlyWiredDog

If you’re buying a hiking sac for cycling as well, be careful that it doesn’t sit so high that it fouls your helmet on steep descents when you’re having to tilt your head back to see where you’re going. Not funny, guess who once crashed into a tree thanks to that one…

It sounds like it’s out of your budget, but Osprey have just launched a bunch of bike-specific larger packs called Escapist, kind of like the Talon, but specifically for cyclists.

Alternatively, have a look at the lightweight packs aimed at mountain marathoners and adventure racers, which tend to sit lower and be designed for stability when running/bumping around. Stuff from OMM and innov-8, also Terra Nova, for example.

Wingnut, again out of your price range, I guess work really well.

Personally I wouldn’t want to even think about riding with a 40-50-litre pack, but each to their own. You can get away with relatively small packs, even for overnighters these days, walking that is, because modern lightweight kit is much lighter and smaller packing than it used to be, but – a bit like bike stuff – its also very expensive once you start shopping for the top-end stuff.

poly
    Free Member

fourcrossjohn – Member
    carrying weight is no issue, i’m used to exercises using a 120 litre bergan running and diving every where and long maintained walks in formation with a rifle and webbing.

Just because you can doesn’t mean you have to.

I fit everything I need for a three day ride (staying in Youth Hostels) in a mountainlife bag which I think is 12L (plus a saddle bag that contains a 3 man KISU/Bothybag) – admittedly I’m not carrying a tripod, and only a very small camera. I’m not particularly recommending the bag but it would do for both the trips you are discussing.

snowpaul
    Free Member

I 2nd thatosprey make fine packs as do deuter. 30 L is the max i do for bike packing…. any bigger = spoils the riding

paul

singletracksurfer

+1 snowpaul. Don’t want to go too big.

can’t imagine getting anything too great sub £40. I’ve got one of these http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Wingnut-Adventure-Rucksack.html

and it is superb for epic rides.

BikePawl
    Free Member

Have a wander to your local TKMaxx they sometimes have good named rucsacs at cheaper prices, but no guarantees they’ll have stuff when you go. Got a Breghaus Freeflow 30 there a couple of years back and regularly see kit there.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Hiking / Biking rucksacks’ is closed to new replies.