Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hikey types – what gaiters?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Mine went in the bin tonight. 2 year old Trekmates 15 quid jobbies annoyed me all Sat as the left kept slipping down every 6 steps – elastic shredded in top of left leg.

No more than £25-30 ideally – what do you recommend – event or Goretex?

climbingkev
    Free Member

Army issue ones, cover pretty much all the boot, super robust, not sure what they’re made of (prob Gore-Tex like everything army). Only bettered by Yeti’s…..and they cost bags more.

footflaps

Berghaus Yetis – last for decades, I’ve had about 4 rubber souls on mine now, but had them nearly 20 years!

speed12
    Free Member

Outdoor Designs Perma’s. eVent. Tough as you like. Within budget. Done.

[/url]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Berghaus Yeti’s from what I have seen of others.

I got some Mtn Hardware vented ones which are great but not made anymore 🙁

footflaps

Berghaus Yeti’s from what I have seen of others.

You can tell what decade them come from by the colour scheme….

piemonster

Can anybody tell me why ramblers where gaiters on easy paths?

Seen no end of folk in ’em and never go near a bog!

footflaps

Can anybody tell me why ramblers where gaiters on easy paths?

It’s a uniform, so they all get a sense of belonging to something either that of a fashion trend started by Janet Street Porter…

druidh
    Free Member

Wet grass getting your trousers/socks wet.
    Stones, grit, pine needles getting into your boot and socks.
    Plus, combined with a decent length jacket/cagoule it often means you needn’t bother with waterproof trousers, so get less hot and sweaty.

As for “what gaiters?” almost anything does the trick with the breathable fabrics making a slight difference. If you have skinny ankles I can recommend the Mountain Equipment gaiters. A close fitting gaiter is best in snowy/icy conditions when you don’t want to catch one with your crampon and go head-over-heels 🙂

FWIW, I was wearing some short “scree” gaiters over my MT90 boots whilst cycling at the weekend.

mattsccm
    Free Member

whatever fits your boots. small boots don’t go well with big gaiters etc. Some boots have a high lower lace and the hook doesn’t pull the gaiter tight. It all bunches up. Some are short and don’t stay up without being pulled up tight which hinders “breathing”.
    Yetis only work on stiffer boots with a nice rand and not even then. My Scarpa cristallos are too narrow at the instep and there is a gap. Try them on.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hikey types – what gaiters?’ is closed to new replies.