Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hike a bike shoes..
  • flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Anyone got the mavic scree shoes? How are they for hike a bike action? I’ve got a set of mavic Switchback shoes and the sole is great. They’re getting a bit old now though, so need some new ones, the screes look pretty good, especially the gore tex puddle proofing!

Any alternatives?

My next bike related purchase will be some Shimano MT91’s

Garry_Lager

Have you tried the MT91s TheArtist? I have the previous MT90s and never use them, dislike pedalling in a hiking boot – feels too bulky to me. They are v waterproof and snug though.

Shimano MW80s, on the other hand, are very good on and off the bike IME. Done plenty of hike-a-bike with them – Scottish hike-a-bike at that so some serious trudging.

If it’s just a bit of bike portage you’re talking about then I find my main shimano shoes are really good – they’re a cyclocross shoe, rel. waterproof and not cumbersome. Take a wee muddy hike in their stride nae bother.

Always used to ride flats in hiking boots, so guessed the MT91’s would be ok

scotroutes

MT91 are the canines testicles. I find the grip much better than the MW80, especially across anything rocky (like crossing streams). They are definitely a bit bulky though, more so for me as I bought them a size larger with the thought of wearing proper winter socks.

I’m using an old pair of Shimano MT51s this summer but on the lookout for something lighter than the MT91. The Scree looks like the closest match so far.

Kahurangi

MT90 for me. When they die i’ll look at the MT91 and maybe those Mavic Screes.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’ve got some older Northwave shoes with a Vibram sole, they do a boot called the gran canion which looks pretty good.

somafunk

The sole on the Scree is quite stiff so i dunno how flexible it would be for prolonged hike-a-bike sections but there’s always a trade-off between flexibility and power transfer (we sell the scree in the shop) and i imagine they’d be rather hot for use in the summer, having said that everyone who’s bought them so far has been well impressed, i personally use the Mavic Tempo’s but will prob get the Scree for late autumn use before the winter arrives.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Cheers for the input.

What are the Tempo’s sole’s like – they look a bit more shiny plastic vs the contra grip on the Chasm or my Switchbacks.

The other option is the Alpine XL – I just wish they didn’t come in that storm trooper white 🙂

rusty90
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Screes and love them. Light, comfortable and waterproof. The sole’s fairly narrow and stiff, so they’re not perfect for long spells of walking but an excellent compromise IMO – feel just like racing shoes on the bike but enough grip and support for walking on rough or muddy ground. The central channel with the cleat in can get a bit clogged up if it’s muddy but they still clip in easily.
    Like all Mavic stuff they come up small, so get the next size up (or try before you buy).
    Definitely recommended by me.

binners

Another vote for Northwaves. A proper vibram sole is great for tromping through mud

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Gary_Lager – do you want to sell your MT90s then? What size are they?

Love my MT90s, always on the lookout for a spare pair for the future.

Mavic Screes look good, but I’m not a fan of velcro straps, especially on a weatherproof boot that might be used in the winter. Ever seen what happens when you get snow in there, during your hike-a-bike sections? It melts from the warmth of your feet, then it freezes again. Velcro doesn’t work when its full of ice…

Laces for me.

Garry_Lager

They’d be a 9 or a 10, but saying that I do use them on the commute once in a while if my other shoes are in a state, so would want to keep them. As you say, it’s good to have a spare set.

If the hike a bike was going to be really substantial, like serious pony trekking, prob worth thinking about flats and a light hiking shoe. The range of footwear would be massively expanded.

wors

I just use some regular walking boots (soft soled ones) and find them fine riding.

messiah
    Free Member

Hike a bike.

If I’m taking the bike then I’m planning to ride it as much as I can so want the best riding shoe… how they perform on the walking bit is less important to me.

I use disco slippers for the height of summer even on the high tops.

I’m loving these Spiuk’s which really fit my feet well… but waterproof they certainly are not!!! Hence the merino socks which are warm when wet.

I use MW81 for when its cooler or wetter. I find less “performance” orientated cycle footware gives me sore feet on the bike due to the flex… must be the power I can put down 😈

Flatties and 5/10’s I can ride for a couple of hours before my feet hurt so I keep them for skills training and BMX 😉

Hike boots are for hiking…

paul78
    Free Member

I got MT91’s and hey are great but a bit heavy for using all the time mainly winter for me.

Pearl Izumi X Alp are a shoe designed for hike a bike.

jonba
    Free Member

XC race shoes with studs worked on the 3 peaks for me.

Otherwise a good pair of trainers and flats.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

I’m with you there on the bike first – hike second thing 🙂 And yes I know what you mean about velcro + snow! Perhaps the new Mavic Crossmax shoes are worth waiting for…

This was all done with my Mavic Singletrack shoes – no issues with them at all (Apart from the fact they’re not made anymore!)

A bit of this

Untitled by guybowden, on Flickr

And a bit of that

Equals a lot of the other 😉

messiah
    Free Member

Nice that 8)

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Indeed it was – currently planning the next Alpe d’Huez hike a bike adventure.

Your Velcro + Snow hike comment reminded me of this episode in Val d’Allos:

PA250044 by guybowden, on Flickr

Cold feet!

cakefacesmallblock

OK so I’m a little OT here, but I ride flats with Teva Links. Great shoe to pedal in, but never has one ( two ?) sole been quite as likely to cause a tooth / bar interface when pushing the bike on a very steep muddy bit. Or indeed, a faceplant onto rock, shouldering the bike.

jam-bo

five ten camp fours.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

but never has one ( two ?) sole been quite as likely to cause a tooth / bar interface

haha – yep – those and any trainer style shoe – terrible!

drpaulmartin
    Free Member

Any tips on maintenance for MT91 users. I have a pair and think they are great. They are my winter commuting shoe, will use them for the longer rides in summer which involve more hika-a-bike as well. Very comfy.

What does the STW massive reckon to keep the leathery bits in good order?

Sidi Dragon’s for summer commute and trail centre FWIW.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

http://www.montrail.com/

Highly supportive [Their philosophy is kinda the polar opposite to innov8] and good with flats. Fairly Narrow toe box and arch section.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hike a bike shoes..’ is closed to new replies.