Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • HIIT any good?
  • renton
    Free Member

Ive been following a sort of low carb diet for a while now and initial results looked promising. However, the last few weeks have not seen any more weight loss so I am looking at changing my exercise routine to see if that helps.

Ive been doing some weight sessions and also long/slow cardio on the cross trainer ( trying to avoid impact stuff due to a lower leg issue that Im working with a physio to sort)

A friend at work has been doing a lot of the Joe Wicks stuff with some good results and mentioned about his HIIT program.

Is it a good way of exercising and can it help with overall cardio fitness?

Caher

I used to do an hour long circuit class and now do Hiit for 20 mins. Just seems like a shorter form of circuits for busy people.

bearnecessities

7 pages, use of “15 minute window”, Binners to post a picture of a sausage roll and renton to get a cob on with someone around page 2.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Yes as well as other forms of exercise and only if it is HIIT, and not a shortened version of a circuit style class.
    For HIIT to work you’ve gotta push yourself way out of your comfort zone and not pace yourself, going flat out for 20 mins with minimal rest.
    20-30sec on 5-10 off for 20 mins is a good place to start
    Google Metafit and have a go at a class if there’s one near you

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s not quite as “magic” as Joe Wicks makes it out to be

And only the first 4 weeks of his plan rely on it.

He sells the plan based on HIIT being fast and easy to fit into your day

Then people realise that after the first four weeks, the workout time is roughly 1hr+ each session, rather than 10 mins of HIIT.

renton
    Free Member

And only the first 4 weeks of his plan rely on it.

He sells the plan based on HIIT being fast and easy to fit into your day

Then people realise that after the first four weeks, the workout time is roughly 1hr+ each session, rather than 10 mins of HIIT.

I dont mind that if it kick starts the weight loss again!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I used to do a half hour HIIT class after a half hour skipping (yes really) class at the local sports centre. Excellent work out, very cardio and strangely unpopular so they stopped doing the classes. I find all these classes rather tedious so just go out riding bikes instead, maybe give that a go I love it 😀

renton
    Free Member

Riding my bike…………..whatever next :mrgreen:

footflaps

Apparently it’s not even programmed if you sign up for the personalised programming, where they actually prescribe a very standard weight lifting program based on sets of 10 reps.

DezB
    Free Member

just go out riding bikes instead

Low impact and enjoyable?? Exercise isn’t supposed to be that way!

nealglover
    Free Member

Apparently it’s not even programmed if you sign up for the personalised programming, where they actually prescribe a very standard weight lifting program based on sets of 10 reps.

The “personalised” prog is HIIT only in the first 4 weeks

After that it is a combination of HIIT and weights (GVT) training

dissonance

Problem is it seems to be the trendy activity at the moment so covers a multitude of sins.
    The general principles seem sound but the implementations vary greatly.

edward2000
    Free Member

I keep asking my local gym when they will start undertaking Super High Intensity Training….. (rolling eyes emoji)

molgrips
    Free Member

Works well for me. Although it is extremely unpleasant to do.

Jamie
    Free Member

Works well for me. Although it is extremely unpleasant to do.

Like using a Mac?

km79
    Free Member

Aye, HIIT on a rowing machine with a proper warmup and cooldown works wonders.

molgrips
    Free Member

Like using a Mac?

No, not that bad.

It looks like shit on an HD display, far worse than Windows. Font smoothing is awful. I guess it’s my own fault for being a peasant and not having a £800 monitor though eh?

Akers

OP – If the low carb diet isn’t working anymore, have you considered trying a different diet plan? Fast/5:2 diet can be very effective, it worked for me.

fifeandy
    Free Member

The problem with HIIT, is it’s not clearly defined what it is.
    IIRC, it became popular after being on a documentary where the sample athlete showed good improvement from 3×30 second maximal sprints on an exercise bike 3 times a week.

But this seems to have spawned any number of different variations calling themselves HIIT, with no scientific evidence behind most of them.

Personally, I think it sort of fits in right along with fad diets – probably an OK shortcut for a few weeks, but not a replacement for regular longer exercise sessions long term

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

High intensity combat zumba is the way forward. Preferably the boot camp version.

footflaps

High intensity combat zumba is the way forward. Preferably the boot camp version.

really needs to be British Military High Impact Boot Camp Combat Zumba…

or BMHIBCCZ for short…

renton
    Free Member

Cheers all.

Do you think it would be ok to substitute one of my 30min x trainer sessions with a HIIT session ?

Also carrying on doing a basic weight session too.

simondbarnes

Do you think it would be ok to substitute one of my 30min x trainer sessions with a HIIT session ?

Yes

molgrips
    Free Member

Personally, I think it sort of fits in right along with fad diets – probably an OK shortcut for a few weeks, but not a replacement for regular longer exercise sessions long term

Well, I think that there are lots of ways to get ‘fitter’ because ‘fit’ is such a broad term really. Just pick one you enjoy and that works for you.

tillydog
    Free Member

I used to do a half hour HIIT class after a half hour skipping class at the local sports centre.

Is that when you book a class but don’t turn up?

footflaps

Well, I think that there are lots of ways to get ‘fitter’ because ‘fit’ is such a broad term really. Just pick one you enjoy and that works for you.

There is only one sport of fitness….. Crossfit 😉

Although you have to grow a beard and have 85% of your skin surface area tattooed before you can partake….

andykirk
    Free Member

If you want to lose weight join a boxing class. Non-contact of course. Works better than anything else I have ever tried. And it’s good fun. And you are learning a skill. And it has proven mental health benefits. You may well throw up the first time though.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘HIIT any good?’ is closed to new replies.