Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Highway Code question
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

There’s a vid doing the rounds (won’t link as it’s Daily Heil) that shows a cyclist hitting a car at speed. Cyclist is in the bus lane going past near stationary traffic to his right. Vehicle turns right across his front and causes the cyclist to impact the nearside wing/passenger door area.
    Lots of comments about it being the cyclists fault for ‘undertaking’ yet rule 183 clearly says to give way to any vehicle using a bus lane, cycle lane etc.
    Am I missing something or are people deliberately thick?

sobriety
    Free Member

Nope, people are thick.

I’m always super careful in bus lanes for right turning numpties, as I’d rather be slowed down than in the side of a car, but I only learned that through experience, and the right turning driver ending up with a 5-figure insurance payout to me.

Whenever somone does it now I think to myself ‘would you have done that if I were a bus?’

GrahamS

Rule 163 seems relevant too.

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left.

whitestone
    Free Member

If I’m in a bus/bike lane or filtering past on the right then I ride only slightly faster than the traffic to give myself time to react to the numpties.

matt_outandabout

I had a police van in Sheffield pull out on me, as I went down the bus lane. The car on my right flashed her out, she pulled out.
    Driver and passenger of the van thought it was just a pothole bang – another driver in the queue had to pull under them and block them at the junction, and point out the cyclist shaped mark in the dirt on the back of the van.
    No injuries, I managed to skid/gentle slap more than collision.
    Since then, I have been uber careful in bus lanes / multiple traffic.

the-muffin-man

I’ve seen this video and if the bike rider couldn’t see that car he needs a trip to Specsavers pretty sharpish.

Maybe there are rules, but you have to ride to the situation in front of you, because as a cyclist you will come of worse against a car.

drslow
    Free Member

Poor obs and too much speed from the cyclist given the stationary traffic in other lane. Yes he may technically be in the right, but how much does being right hurt right now?

edlong
    Free Member

Regardless of what the Highway Code says, I wouldn’t be cyclng that quickly down the left of slow / stationary traffic, where’s there’s junctions on the left that traffic coming the other way might be turning right into.

Who’s relatives are going to be comforted to know that their loved one’s last words were “but I had every right to do that, the Highway Code says so?”

Very rare that I filter down the left, very often I’m riding past traffic, and I generally do so on the right. Not had any collisions. Had a few potential near misses, but since I’m on the right I can see them coming.

GrahamS

Actually thinking about it I’m a bit confused by the OP’s description.

Cyclist is in the bus lane going past near stationary traffic to his right. Vehicle turns right across his front and causes the cyclist to impact the nearside wing/passenger door area.

So was the driver he collided with turning right from the oncoming lane and through the queue of stationary traffic? If so it seems pretty clear it is their responsibility to check all the lanes they are crossing.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Yes, incoming driver turned to their right across oncoming lanes.

GrahamS

Seems pretty obvious that the driver is at fault then. They tried to cross a lane of traffic without checking it was clear. Lucky for them it was just a bike and not a motorbike or a bus.

edlong
    Free Member

Seems pretty obvious that the driver is at fault then.

Oh yes, and I’m sure the insurance claim will be dealt with on that basis. Being in the right is a shit painkiller though.

GrahamS

Yeah absolutely.

I’m not saying people should cycle (or drive) blithely assuming that other road users will follow the Highway Code to the letter.

Always assume that everyone else is an idiot and/or intent on killing you.

But the OP’s question was about the legality and fault.

richmtb

Car is at fault, no doubt, but as other have said being right does you no good if you are dead.

A wee bit of forward planning and anticipation would have avoided the accident completely. There is a good reason I ride an old mtb with discs for my commute though!

Cougar

I’ve not seen the video but,

There’s no such offence as undertaking. If you execute a manoeuvre which involves crossing another lane then that lane has priority, whether it’s a bus lane / motorway lane / junction / whatever. I can’t think of a single instance where this isn’t the case. THC is absolutely with the cyclist here.

That said, whether such a manoeuvre (from the cyclist) is wise is another matter. I’ve said this before but being right does you no good whatsoever when you’re under the wheels of several tons of metal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Highway Code question’ is closed to new replies.