Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hightower LT
  • simonb51
    Free Member

Anyone got one? If so what’s your thoughts on it.

daver27
    Free Member

I’ve got the non LT version and it’s ace, by far the best bike I’ve owned in 30 years of doing this.

BoardinBob

Only had 2 rides out so far on my LT in the snow and ice but it feels fantastic already. Ridiculous grip and hugely confidence inspiring. Felt “right” from the 1st pedal stroke

johnw1984
    Free Member

Never tried the LT, but ended up with the standard Hightower. I’d echo the above comments that it’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden!

I’d guess the LT is just a bit more capable in rougher stuff?

samwilk200
    Free Member

Got a full build, ‘S’ spec.
    Never spent that much money on a bike so wasnt sure what to expect.

Very happy with my choice, big wheels suit me at 6ft 2. Riding an XL frame which feels good, although not huge. So fast down rough stuff, just seems to want to go! Let down a little by Guide R brakes and an uncomfortable (to me) saddle. Had to get a side load bottle cage and 650ml Camelbak bottle as shock restricts anything bigger.

Would recommend it!

simonb51
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Looking a X01 CC build and likevabove it’s a lot of coin. At 6’2″ myself it’s good to hear the XL is right size wise.

paulevans
    Free Member

I recently bought a standard Hightower, but am finding the rear end to be a little harsh. The bike came with a Monarch RT3 + in MM tune. I’m c.210lbs all tooled up and am having o run the shock at 270psi to achieve 30% sag. There are no volume spacers in the can. The rear shock just feels too harsh and I do t seem to be getting full travel.

Anyone have any thoughts? (Sorry to hijack)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Try some volume spacers?

russyh
    Free Member

Paul,
    I’m finsing the same thing. I’m running 300psi at 86kg. To get 25-28% sag. Unsure of spacers yet, but suggest it’s empty so will likely start playing with them this week…or buy another coil shock

honourablegeorge

Both you big lads sound like textbook cases for volume spacers.

markgraylish
    Free Member

At 6ft 4in, I opted for an XXL S build as a Christmas present to myself!
    I’m loving it!
    Clearing so much more stuff than my previous bike, both up and down hill.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Paulevans…the HT should come with a LL tune Debonair RT3. It should also come with 4 spacers in the can iirc.

I am 95kg+ and didn’t get on with the debonair rt3, to me it just didn’t feel supportive and struggled with pressures to get anywhere near what I wanted.

I have now replaced it with a Fox DPS EVOL shock in a slightly firmer tune, the difference is noticeable. Funnily enough the newer HT come with Fox DPS EVOL as standard read into that what you want.

By the way love my HT, superb bike. Had it at 150mm front and now at 140mm in 29er. Can imagine the HT LT is a more focused machine erring towards the more gravity oriented end of things.

daver27
    Free Member

Further to my post, I’m 6’2″ as well and on the XL, it’s spot on.

Also have a cc xt and have struggled for a year with the monarch rt3, same as above harsh feeling with a 2 stage feel thanks to the debonair can. This weekend I’ve just bolted on a factory fox dpx2 evol. Not ridden it yet, but I can now get the right amount of sag and it’s a smooth as butter through the travel. Expensive but we’ll worth the upgrade it would seem.
    If the 2018 ones come.with fox already then that’s a big plus for me.

simonb51
    Free Member

What so of psi are we running in the forks and shock? Don’t forget to add your weight.

daver27
    Free Member

87kg weight

front, 2 tokens in a 150 Pike, 65psi 30% sag, rarely bottoms out
    Rear in Monarch 6 bands, 230psi and 35% sag.

Rear with DPX2 initial set up, 220psi and 30% sag, to be refined further once ridden.

zerolight
    Free Member

Like Sam I got the S build of the regular HT (it was on sale at Biketreks and they offered me a deal that even my wife couldn’t resist!). I absolutely love it. I used to split my time 50/50 with my road bike but I’ve not ridden that since early November now! I just love MTB so much more since upgrading to this from my Trigger.

I didn’t like the Guide brakes and had recently got Hope E4s on my trigger so I swapped those out. Moving to a 28T oval today I hope too as I often find I need just a bit too much effort on steep tech climbs on my local trails.

Wondering how you all have your suspension set. I put two tokens in my Pike (my 29er came with 150mm) and it feels good – not as plush as the Lefty Supermax, but good all the same. 1 token felt too divey. The Monarch out back is a mixed bag. When I’m going for it on something more techy with some small drops and lots of speed, the rear is awesome – the best its had really is Carron Valley (twice as its a bit out the way for me) – can’t wait to try it at Glentress. On slower trails it’s not as sensitive. I could put in an extra spacer to run less air (it’s stock 4 spacers) but as I already never get close to full travel I think that would be a mistake.

No plans for a shock upgrade (yet) and it’s hands down the best, and most confidence inspiring bike I’ve ever owned. At 6’1 the XL is probably slightly big, but the L was going to be slightly small.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Anyone experiencing bad cable rub at the bottom of the downtube where the rear brake hose transitions from front triangle to rear swingarm?
    On mine, it looks like the cause is a very tight curve of hose after the bottle cage mount…

chakaping
    Free Member

Just in case the OP is still pondering this bike, Ben Cathro is very honest about his LT…

zerolight
    Free Member

Mark, just pull the cable through at the bars to straighten out some of that curve at the bottle mounts?

zerolight
    Free Member

I’ve just taken a spacer out of the Monarch. Running 3 now and 2 in the Pike. Not taken it to the trails yet, but it feels maybe better balanced and slightly less progressive. Still feels impossible to bottom out but given I don’t do jumps or big drops that’s probably normal. I’m 82kg and run around 205psi.

zerolight
    Free Member

Back to 4 spacers. Popped it back in half way through the ride today. Just feels better with 4.

zerolight
    Free Member

Mark. Meant to say, if you cable tie the two cables at the BB / Bottlecage area together the move around a lot less – I looped a cable tie over one cable, through a small rubber tube, and round the second cable – like a bridge/link.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hightower LT’ is closed to new replies.