Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 141 total)
  • Highly rated films you just don’t rate…
  • ollie
    Free Member

I am Legend – so boring.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Mama Mia – how can this be the best selling DVD ever it’s sh**e!

coffeeking
    Free Member

hot_fiat

Atonement – what a complete load of depressing dross. Should be on some sort of Amnesty International list, next to waterboarding.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If there hasn’t been already there should be an Orange advert for Atonement. You know the one with the film board? “Can we call it Ringtonement, and have some more guns and fighting?”

IdleJon

Crouching Tiger, Crappy Dragon. (Just awful, childish, bad, bad.)

There Will Be Blood. (Great if you want to watch DDL act. Otherwise don’t bother. Nuances? No just wind.)

Aguirre, Wrath of God. (Badly made, badly acted. I gave up when they drop a cannon into a ravine as they are pushing through the jungle, and the cannon burst into flames. Were they pushing it fully loaded with gunpowder? Absolute rubbish, has made me question why Herzog is supposedly such a fantastic film maker.)

I enjoyed the 1st half of No Country for Old Men thoroughly. Beautifully made, well acted, building up to a fantastic climax…… no it doesn’t. The 2nd half is confusing, slightly boring, implausible and ends in a typical ‘Coen Bros didn’t know how to end film’ way.

DrJ

I must be in the wrong universe. I seem to like all the films you hate. Crash (both of them), Lost in Translation, There Will Be Blood, Atonement.

On the other hand, anything to do with The Matrix should be incinerated and the ashes fed to dogs.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

You probably wouldn’t like Kung Fu Hustle Coffeeking, which is a shame cos it’s great from start to finish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9rIyE9V-BQ&feature=PlayList&p=D4AC0EF4AB2AF417&index=6

🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

Yeah The Matrix didn’t really do it for me.

I was sure I would like the Kill Bill films but think they’re great!

BoardinBob

It’s far from a classic but I’d read and heard great reports about Pineapple Express and how it was the funniest film in years.

A couple of weeks ago I fancied a laugh so I stuck it on. I had to turn it off after 40 minutes. Painfully unfunny. Maybe it’s stoner humour that I don’t get but it really was dreadful.

porterclough
    Free Member

Apocalypse Now
    Withnail and I

Just terrible, both of them.

Get out!

My nomination is The Piano. Oh and The Matrix, what a load of tosh.

BoardinBob

Anchorman wasn’t funny either. I had to turn that off too.

2tyred

Can’t believe people have nominated Lost in Translation.

It has My Bloody Valentine and Scarlett Johansson’s bottom in it.

What more do you people want??

I tend to avoid ‘big’ movies in general (modern ones at least), but I saw Slumdog Millionaire not that long ago and thought it was shite.
    People are really easily pleased.

I saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in the company of my Chinese friend and his brothers, who totally revere it. I’d never seen it. It must just be lost on me, but when I asked (after 15 minutes or so) how come they could fly, they all just looked at me open-mouthed. Fart in a spacesuit moment.

nickc

Those American Pie ones that are “oh so funny”.. No, they’re not…

BoardinBob

Those American Pie ones that are “oh so funny”.. No, they’re not…

They were funny when I was 21 but not so much ten years later

DrJ

I recently saw The Big Lebowski for the first time. After the hype I was expecting a treat, but … uhhh … is that it??

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I saw Slumdog Millionaire not that long ago and thought it was shite.

Funny, that was a rare example of a film that didn’t disappoint me, even after all the hype. Just goes to show…

mrsflash
    Free Member

2nd Blade Runner. We switched off. And we switched off Withnail.

No Country for Old Men started out with promise but the end let it down.

Crash was shite.

2tyred

The Big Lebowski

ohhhhh, Dr J – I was with you right up until there.

*shakes head*

porterclough
    Free Member

I recently saw The Big Lebowski for the first time. After the hype I was expecting a treat, but … uhhh … is that it??

OMG

2nd Blade Runner. We switched off. And we switched off Withnail.

I think I need a sit down…

DrJ

2nd Blade Runner. We switched off.

I can’t imagine how that is physically possible. I can imagine scoring the winning goal in the FA Cup Final. I can imagine being elected President of the United States. But I can’t conceive of what it would feel like to switch off Blade Runner.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I remember all the hype over Blair Witch Project. About how it was so ‘genuinely terrifying’. No it was not, it was shit. I’ve had bouts of wind that have been far more frightening.

People ran out of cinemas screaming, apparently (I suspect this was just a myth, or some people were paid to do that, thus hyping the film up loads). I wooduv walked out, shouting about how shit it was, and warning others not to bother.

Titanic was utter bolleux. 11,12 Oscars for that?

Lord of the Rings trilogy was overhyped. Great films, but overhyped.

What about films that have surprised you, because they were actually great?

Time for another thread…

Coyote
    Free Member

Reservoir Dogs. Biggest load of crap I’ve seen.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Blade Runner is great afaic. One of the best scenes in a film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_saUN4j7Gw

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Lost in Translation

PeterPoddy, you are so, so wrong, on so many levels.

No I’m not.
    Thread title says “Highly rated films you just don’t rate”

It’s highly rated (By you!) but I don’t rate it. Therefore I have answered correctly.

😛

MrAgreeable

I’m always prepared to extend a bit more leeway to sci-fi films, just because it’s a cheesy but enjoyable genre. Blade Runner has some great ideas in it, quotable dialogue (or maybe it’s the fact that every line has been sampled by a drum ‘n’ bass producer at some point) and a very distinctive atmosphere, but I wouldn’t dig it out to watch it again and again. And for that matter I find “Alien” very slow and ponderous compared to its gun totin’ sequel.

However my least favourite sci-fi film has got to be “The Matrix” – it’s just a creepy fan-boy manifesto and bashes its single “moral” home with all the subtlety of a half brick.

Philby

Kill Bill
    The Gangs of New York
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Quantum of Solace
    Shaun of the Dead

mudshark
    Free Member

Withnail must be the film I’ve watched more than any other; trouble is it’s about the scripts and characters more than the story which puts some off as they want a good story!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Mrsflash – I was fortunate enough to post my feelings towards blade runner just as we went to page 2. Although the response you’re getting is consistent with my experiences. 😆

stilltortoise
    Free Member

What about films that have surprised you, because they were actually great?

yeah, yeah, it should be another thread but since I started this thread I will hijack it

In Bruges

mrsflash
    Free Member

But I can’t conceive of what it would feel like to switch off Blade Runner.

It felt like a huge relief 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

I didn’t get on with Syriana at all. Disliked Atonement too, but I think that’s because I’m a cretin.

jova54
    Free Member

Everything by Ken Loach!

kimbers

i cant believe that people are dissing lebowski, withnail or bladerunner

but when britains got talent is the most popular show on tv i am obviously way out of touch with most people!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

yeah, yeah, it should be another thread but since I started this thread I will hijack it

Well, no need for the hijack, because I’ve started another thread here!

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

Lord of the Rings and another vote for Shaun of the Dead.
    Brokeback Mountain wasn’t as great as I was expecting, but at least it was mildly entertaining.

robdob
    Free Member

Any Coen brothers films, yaaaaaawn
    Blair witch project. I think I nearly fell asleep in the cinema.
    Second for Blade Runner. It confuses me why it’s so popular and I love science fiction.
    All 3 of the newer Star Wars films. Now that’s half a day I’ll never see again.

MrAgreeable

Everything by Ken Loach!

I actually agree with the bloke’s politics but his films are so bludgeoningly obvious. It’s a bit like TJ’s comments on here, even if you agree with him you want to disagree. “Raining Stones” is good though. And “Kes”.

robdob
    Free Member

Crouching Tiger, I thought it was a spoof thing. Ridiculous, I can’t even watch it without laughing.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

There will be blood

Kill Bill

Possibly Sin City, i mean I liked it but its not that great

Again Possibly Donnie Darko maybe Im understanding it wrong.

I enjoyed the film but while watching it I felt like there was going to be some sort of semi scientific(in the loosest terms) explanation to the time travel. I’ve read the explanation and although I like the idea of a tangent universe the rest of the explanation just seems to be “Magic” which to me kinda isnt the point with Donnie being a genius and all.

Again possibly Train Spotting although I enjoyed watching the film kinda wonder why there’s such a big deal about it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Highly rated films you just don’t rate…’ is closed to new replies.