Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Highland winter break – Aviemore or Ballater
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Due to having Hilton points accumulated, I was looking at a couple of their hotels for my wife’s kid-free weekend Christmas present.

There’s one in Coylumbridge which is some kind of suburb of Aviemore, or Ballater. Anyone know of these places? What are they like for a weekend?

Would probably be doing some light to moderate walking and being-in-countrysiding, so don’t need many attractions as such. Snow would be a plus.

footflaps

I really like Aviemore at xmas / NY. They’ll be snow in the hills if not the valley.

scotroutes

Ballater is a lot quieter than Aviemore. Nice wee town and easy to reach Braemar/Loch Muick for some wee walks.

Aviemore has a lot more going on. More variation of stuff to do/places to eat etc.

For a weekend, either would be fine. For a longer break you might tire of Ballater quicker.

If you choose Aviemore I’d be happy to provide ideas for activities/must see things.

Hmm….. Not looking likely at the moment

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Given up on Sweden then?

footflaps

Hmm….. Not looking likely at the moment

Still got two weeks!

I’ve never failed to climb in the Northern Corries at Xmas, although some years have been leaner than others. Although we’re off skiing this year…

molgrips
    Free Member

Given up on Sweden then?

Maybe. Will cost a lot more.

st66

We’ve been to the Hilton at Coylumbridge a few times – it’s in a nice location about a mile out of Aviemore on the way to Loch Morlich. Plenty of cycling/walking in Rothiemurchus. It’s a very family/child friendly hotel – our kids love it. I wouldn’t necessarily want to go on a kid-free romantic break though, especially if you get irritated by other peoples children.

highlandman
    Free Member

Agree with Scotroutes- both are good for a weekend and Ballater will be the more peaceful; the Coylumbridge will have more families in it but also has the advantage of being a (fairly civilised) walk to the Old Bridge Inn for a great feed and most likely music. Bring a headtorch to make that walk easier on the cyclepath.
    Personally, I find Aviemore a bit loud at times, so would choose Ballater for its peace. Getting there also feels a bit more ‘Highland’ too, as you can avoid the A9. Both villages have good bike shops too…

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the Ballater hotel but we stay at the Coylumbridge now and again with our points. Thing is, we always have kids in tow, and it’s bloody great for them-pool, soft play, various activities outside. I’m not sure I’d go there for a kid-free weekend. The rooms especially are a bit on the dated side, and you’ll be paying a premium during the winter months. Have you considered the Dunkeld Hilton? Got some lovely suites and it’s in a nice waking area. Granted for snow you’ll probably have to drive an hour or so.

molgrips
    Free Member

Any difference in travelling to either one from the South?

That A93 looks a bit slow.

scotroutes

Not much difference in time.

Aviemore is straight up the main road (A9) after Perth.

Ballater would be up over Glenshee and past Braemar. I’d say that’s a more scenic drive.

Coylumbridge has two pools – a kids one and an “adults” one. If you’re not hanging around the hotel all day then you’d not necessarily have to put up with a lot of kids around either.

NZCol

For a non-child holiday I would go to Ballater. We go to Coylumbridge 2-3 times a year and have stayed in Ballater as well. For kids Coylum is great, for non kids its noisy and full of kids !

richmtb

I’ve stayed in both,

Are you staying in the lodges or the hotels?

Lodges at Ballater really are nice. Coylumbridge are spacious but a bit less modern.

More to do in Aviemore and the surrounding area but Ballater is in a more scenic setting.

Really I’d be happy with either, but If I was taking the bike i’d go to Aviemore

molgrips
    Free Member

Probbaly just a basic hotel room, might have enough points for an upgrade but doubt I’ll get a lodge.

No bikes will be taken, sadly.

dragon
    Free Member

Loads of great walking at either location. As others have said Ballater is a lot quieter, and compared to Aviemore if you want to eat out in the evening is quite limiting (although plenty of cafes for in the day). However, if you are looking for a getting away from it vibe then Ballater is the better option IMO. Plenty of excellent walking straight from Ballater with flat or hilly options and without the need to go to Braemar/Loch Muick, although Loch Muick is a must do if you are in the area. You might bump into the royals as well, which you can decide as to whether that is plus or minus. If you are in Ballater and get bored it’s not a long run back into Aberdeen for cinema etc.

Whichever place you pick hit up walkhighlands for great walking routes.

perchypanther
    Free Member

+1 for the Coylumbridge – if you have kids with you.

If you want a kid free weekend, it’s probably not ideal as it’s very child friendly.

Use your Hilton points @ Dunblane Hydro or Dunkeld instead?

richmtb

No kids no bike go to Ballater.

Its a lovely wee place perfect for a weekend

stevious

Not much to add to the above other than Aviemore is an easier drive to get to than Ballater, even if time-wise they’re pretty similar. The drive to Ballater is nicer but slightly more weather prone.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ballater is much more relaxing than Aviemore.

How ever colyumbridge hilton is much nicer than craigendarroch. Been a couple of years since I stayed mind but it had plenty of Ponce and circumstance but was really tatty at more than a quick glance.

Don’t forget your posh clothes for dinner wont get in the dining room with jeans on.

footflaps

Don’t forget your posh clothes for dinner wont get in the dining room with jeans on.

Does that really still exist?

Been a very long time since I’ve seen that (nearly 30 years).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye well. I was there for wife’s birthday maybe 4 years ago

You can get in the rear ward restaurant for a pub meal but not into the dining room up front.

Might have changed by now.

munrobiker
    Free Member

My inlaws have a lodge deal at Craigendarroch (Ballater). The lodges are very dated, I’m surprised Hilton put their name on it to be honest. They’re going to do them up but I’d not go for a few years yet.

I’d probably go to the one at Dunkeld to be honest, it looks the most modern and it’s not as child-mental as the Coylumbridge one.

dragon
    Free Member

The Dunkeld one is in a very lovely location. Although there is road noise from the A9, which you won’t get at Ballater that’s for sure.

scotroutes

Dunkeld is a good call. Still some lovely was. Perthshire is nice at this time of year. Good access to the surrounding countryside. Cafes/ pubs. And not quite so far to drive.

Save Aviemore for a longer family break or one with biking buddies

dragon
    Free Member

For a weekend away I’d prefer Dunkeld / Birnam to Aviemore pretty much every time. Aviemore is just a bit grim and also more likely to have iffy weather.

molgrips
    Free Member

Good sugs folks, thanks. Will check out more later.

I didn’t find a Hilton at Dunkeld though, on their site?

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Looks like Hilton no longer have Dunkeld. It’s now the Dunkeld house hotel. Oh well, save your points for a family trip to Coylumbridge

geoffj

Dunked House is nice, but it’s a hike into dunkeld on a road with no footpath and the pickings in Dunkeld are slim anyway.
    The cheaper rooms are also quite dated, but the leisure club is nice.
    I’d go an extra hour up the road to Coylumbridge given the choice. Don’t forget that are plenty of lower level walking options on nice paths around Aviemore too.

dragon
    Free Member

Dunked House is nice, but it’s a hike into dunkeld on a road with no footpath

Just walk along the river path and past the old cathedral. Might need a torch on winter evenings.

davieg
    Free Member

I’ve stayed in both, and would definitely stay at the Colyumbridge again but not Craigendarroch. The food was awful, but Ballater is lovely and the Lecht is only 30 mins away. No snow yet, well not enough for ski-ing on.

Do you plan on having dinner in the hotels or just B&B? In that case fill your boots with either venue.

Can you use the points at Doubletree hotels, part of the Hilton Group? Then why not stay at the Dunblane Hydro? Dunblane is a pretty place, food and leisure centre are good and got Dumyat and the Trossachs on your doortstep for walking.

Other Hilton alternatives, Edinburgh at Xmas is very pretty but super busy. Glasgow Grosvenor, enjoy the west end and strolling around the Botanic Gardens. Loch Lommond is 30 mins away.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dinner.. dunno, probably not. Not one for ‘fine dining’ really. If it’s cheap and decent we would.

Points work in any Hilton group hotel. I also have IHG (holiday inn, crowne plaza etc) points but they seem rather thin on the ground up there.

Don’t really fancy a city tbh.

Dunblane.. kind of looks a bit like Wales though where we live. The highlands would be a bit more dramatic.

scotroutes

Well, there’s every kind of eating in Aviemore so you can take your pick. If it’s pre-Xmas then how busy it is will depend on snow cover. Happy to give you some recommendations on eating and outings.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Highland winter break – Aviemore or Ballater’ is closed to new replies.