Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Highland Wildcat Trail – WOW -)
  • iainc

I had the opportunity today to have a business meeting in Golspie – it really would have been rude not to take the bike…..

So having never ridden it before, me and a colleague set off from the trailhead at 2pm in clear skies and 18 degrees of sun -). Totally stunning trail – the ‘lactate ladder’ is just that – totally knackering, followed by a slog up to the top of the trail and a quite awesome view out over the North Sea. The descent has to be Pete Laing’s best yet – the Caithness Flags are a great trail building stone and have been used to the max. It was pretty disconcerting riding the trail blind and flying off blind tops not quite knowing what type of drop was waiting, with frequent reminders that, yes, this is a black graded trail. No falls but a few dabs and back at the car after 2 great hours -)…….then a 5hr drive home……

Gary_C

‘lactate ladder’

😯

druidh
    Free Member

Aye. Worra t1t.

Bunnyhop

I walked up the lactic ladder. Also walked some of the tricky bits coming down.
    As you say, it’s a fantastic trail. Swoopy, gorgeous views, non stop adrenalin rush trail.

Bunnyhop

Empty too.
    We only met one other chap, on an equally sunny bright day.

iainc

okay okay, lactic……I’m tired after all -)

Gary_C

Seriously though,three of us rode there on Easter Monday,dry trail,blue sky.The Lactic Ladder is a bit of a challenge,especially one or two of the larger step-ups.(Which I failed miserably on!)
    On the way up:

Pointing the way down:

First ‘drop’:

“We were up there a short while ago”

AlasdairMc

I love Golspie, I rode it last year a couple of times in similar weather. It takes trail centre descents to a whole new level and is one of the few climbs I’ve actually enjoyed. I’m jealous…

martinxyz
    Free Member

I blew on lactate ladder last year LOL.

I laid the bike down.. splayed myself over a big slab and unclipped the helmet until things went back to normal and set off again. I`m so unfit.

NZCol

*makes a note to ride there in June*

iainc

yeah, the lactic ladder must be the hardest bit of trail centre climbing I have experienced – certailnly one to go back and have another go at.. -)

pistola
    Free Member

Aye, there are a couple of loverly mounds on that ‘lactate’ ladder… 😆

shortcut

i am there next a week on Sunday – and really looking forward to it!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Fantastic isn’t it. There was a POD on pinkbike from the top there. See if I can find it….. I don’t know if this will work, ‘cos I’m not sure if you can link to pinkbike

Here’s one of mine from there this Christmas (my parents live next door). I was up there by myself, you’ve no idea how long it took to get even this picture using the camera timer!

Cronnie
    Free Member

It seems a little churlish to keep milking this lactate ladder business

aviemoron
    Free Member

I love the trail, so does the 29er! Although my old ML8 was excellent at steaming up Lactic Ladder – nowt climbs like one.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Looks great. Would love to ride there but seems quite a drive from Dumfries. Maybe I will put a little tour together in June, and stop off for another ride along the way.

Good pics.

Si

doug_basqueMTB.com

Simon, mail me before you put your tour together if you want. There’s loads to see up there and you can easily spend a few days and make it worth the trip. There’s some fantastic places to ride and it’d be a pity to miss out. I can give you some pointers if you want.

I’ll hopefully be spending most of August up there because we’ll shut for a month then due to the Spanish holidays.

shortcut

It’s not too bad from Dumfries, if you stick in a ride at Laggan and Balblair. For some of us Dumfries is halfway! But it is still worth the trip!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Highland Wildcat Trail – WOW -)’ is closed to new replies.