Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 464 total)
  • Highland Trail 550 2015
  • epicyclo

He’ll be a one pot screamer after all that toil and exertion. 🙂

Under 4 miles to go, and 85 miles ahead of the next rider. That’s awesome.

grumpyrs

Edit, too hasty, oops.

DavidB
    Free Member

Javier Simon could be in a spot of bother – hasn’t moved for 2 hours and just been over taken by Steven Sloof …

Might have got his beard caught in his rear sprocket. Lovely guy with the BEST bikepacking beard ever

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GregMay
    Free Member

Non confirmed time – but looks like Tom has finished.

m0nster2
    Free Member

Superb! Massive respect to him and all participants.
    Thanks for a truly weird but compelling spectator experience for yet another year.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Honked the horn and waved as I passed the pipz near contin earlier this morning. Sorry for putting you off if you thought it was just another aggressive anti bike driver!

dotwatcher
    Free Member

Did they give you the forks…. Minipips is well trained.

dotwatcher
    Free Member

Fantastic effort Tom (other Tom). Hope you and your Missus to be have a great day.

GregMay
    Free Member

Unconfirmed finish time 8.19pm.

epicyclo

Brilliant effort.

scotroutes

Jenny is still going. Good Lass!

I was talking to her about the HTR just a couple of weeks ago and she was really excited about it. I did have to show her how to start Tracking on her SPOT though!

nikk
    Free Member

Well done Tom!

kraftyslices

Awesome work Tom. Congratulations!

dotwatcher
    Free Member

Jenny is doing an awesome effort.

Just spoke to Rich & Tom – the weather has been awful. Rain and headwinds all day. They are going to try to get to Tyndrum tomorrow to see the end of the 3rd place race. Hopefully the blackhole of Strathcarron lets some of the riders escape…..

Honked the horn and waved as I passed the pipz near contin earlier this morning. Sorry for putting you off if you thought it was just another aggressive anti bike driver!

No they didn’t think that you were anti cysclist – they have had quite a few honk and waves over the last few days.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Ahh,good! They seemed to be motoring on pretty well.

jameso

Great ride Tom, well done!
    Real shame about Josh’s bike letting him down, he was flying up until then. Seems to be a high toll on bikes and riders this year. Fingers crossed for everything holding together for Mike Toyn to bag second later today.

GregMay
    Free Member

Scratch Updates:

Steve Field – Got really cold fixing puncture just out of Poolewe, only to get another one 30min later. Thought of spending time with wife won!

Phil FT – Hub SS freehub failure (again) lack of toenails not helping….eew.

GregMay
    Free Member

Pretty sure this is the most up to date list of scratched riders:

Karl Booth
    Steve Field
    Phil FT
    Rich and Tom Siepp
    Ilan Rubenstien
    Jonathan Edwards
    Bryan Singleton
    Josh Ibbet
    Steve Heading
    Bert Platzer
    Mark McPhillips
    Darreb Kosliki
    Amanda Brooks
    Tom Gibbs
    Alasdair McClean
    Chris Alder
    Giacomo Maltman
    Ed Procter
    Ashraf Kame
    Kristan Rivers
    Dave Barter
    Steve Robbins
    Andrew Hutchenson
    Fabien Frohlicher
    Nicolas Senie
    Jean-Louis Doridot

postierich
    Free Member

Well done Mike Toyn, Staveley rider I deliver his post 🙂

GregMay
    Free Member

Scratch Update:

Scott McGill – no reason given (@scottmcgillsr)

scotroutes

Looks like Jenny is struggling with the river crossing in Fisherfield. Given recent rainfall it must be pretty deep by now.

Craggyjim
    Free Member

Looks like Jenny is struggling with the river crossing in Fisherfield. Given recent rainfall it must be pretty deep by now.

Yes, looks like she’s taking the safe option. That must be pretty demoralising at this stage.

NewRetroTom

Looks like Jenny has been turned back by the river – back at Shenavall now…

NewRetroTom

I’m at home in Edinburgh and eating a giant cookie and drinking endless mugs of tea. Doing some catching up on this thread!

Thanks for the support all!

GregMay
    Free Member

Yes, looks like she’s taking the safe option. That must be pretty demoralising SMART at this stage.

FTFY

She’s made the right choice. If it’s high, she can wait for it to drop in a nice big dry bothy with firewood.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Fond memories 😕 of crossing those rivers, in gentle times, wouldn’t fancy it at others. Bothy sounds like a winner to me.

Craggyjim
    Free Member

FTFY

She’s made the right choice. If it’s high, she can wait for it to drop in a nice big dry bothy with firewood.

Totally agree with you. Still can’t be the nicest feeling.

whitestone
    Free Member

Well done Tom, looked tough conditions for much of the ride. Must be slightly weird sat at home watching the event you’ve just finished but is still going on.

Clink

Any pics of the finish Tom?

scotroutes

Thing is, how much food is she carrying at this point? You can only wait so long.

NewRetroTom

I don’t have any pictures of the finish but Alan Goldsmith’s friend Sarah took some, so will hopefully get them in due course.

scotroutes

That’ll be Mike Toyn finished now.

Fraser MacBeath looks safe for third if he can stay awake.

And Jenny is still pacing the banks of the Abhainn Strath na Sealga looking for a way across. In hindsight, she’d have been wise to have taken the permitted detour via the coast road. Easy to say that in retrospect of course.

IanB
    Free Member

The diversion is only permitted after you’ve been to the loch and decided not to cross. But, yes, she could have backtracked earlier in the day, and been well round the coast by now. She’d even have seen Ilan, which would have been good for morale.

dotwatcher
    Free Member

Hope she is OK. Where is the nearest bothy?

scotroutes

Right next to her – Sheneval 😆

nikk
    Free Member

Looks like she didn’t go far out enough into the loch. I believe it gets shallower the further out you go, to a point.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.7813684,-5.2739742,808m/data=!3m1!1e3

IanB
    Free Member

I think it’s running high by anyones measure, Nik.

Alan G’s text from yesterday morning: https://twitter.com/ht_550/status/603499126072946691

But I agree, best chance nearer the mouth, though it looks a lot wider and therefore “worse”.

GregMay
    Free Member

Scratch Update:

Steve Large – Bad food last night and now vomiting. Hitting the road back to Tyndrum.

evh22
    Free Member

I’m loving following this and am feeling for Jenny now who must have been searching for a safe place to cross the river for such a long time. I’m in awe of these guys (and boy and ladies).

We’re so inspired that we’re looking at some mini bike packing. Dotwatcher: I saw mini pips is using a half bag. Do you know where you can get one from and how long are they? I’m probably a similar height and am limited to what I can carry. God knows how I’d cross a stream without some sort of biblical water-parting help.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Got a guy from our club (hackney gt) still out there James Stephens – jj Stephens on live tracker

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 464 total)

The topic ‘Highland Trail 550 2015’ is closed to new replies.