Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 464 total)
  • Highland Trail 550 2015
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Anyone going to take a guess on the winners finishing time?

I’m guessing Phil’s time from last year is well and truly out of scope.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I’m tracking Steve Field a fellow coach and club member, very unassuming guy doing well in the midfield for his first outing, also Markus Stitz who I used to work with and a previous finisher.

They’re heading into the bit I’ve ridden through so quite exciting just tracking the blue dot (dare I say Inspirational!! not sure if I’m up to it… but maybe?)
    good luck to all.

GregMay
    Free Member

For those interested, last year Phil was just in Glen Affric at this stage after the waterfall push up.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Wonder if Tom can See Josh from the top of where he is now

dotwatcher
    Free Member

It appears the small legs have fallen off. Greg, Rich will contact you later. They are heading back to Contin for tonight and then to Fort A.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

That’s a shame. Still an unbelievable accomplishment for the lad.

Looks like Ilan Rubinstein isnt going to cross paths with Josh as he’s ing for Lochcarron now

GregMay
    Free Member

dotwatcher – Member
    It appears the small legs have fallen off. Greg, Rich will contact you later. They are heading back to Contin for tonight and then to Fort A.

No problemo!

dotwatcher
    Free Member

There is always next year. 😕

kcal

I’m in awe of what he’s achieved !! 🙂

shandcycles
    Free Member

My new hero is Ilan Rubinstein. Can’t wait to see where he’s gonna go next!

GregMay
    Free Member

shandcycles – Member
    My new hero is Ilan Rubinstein. Can’t wait to see where he’s gonna go next!

I suspect Portugal

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

HT550? Nah, Ilan Rubinstein is gong for the HT1100….

Looks like Josh and Tom have met now. Will Tom give him the fingers as he flys past or will they stick together.

GregMay
    Free Member

Tom is past Josh 🙂

c_klein87

looks like Tom has powered on, hope josh sticks at it…

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

seems like (as much as you can guess from dots) josh needed a forced refuel, that would be my take – otherwise you’d do your best to stick to him..

i know from experience that tom is not easy to stick to, nor does he need to refuel!

pt0608
    Free Member

i know from experience that tom is not easy to stick to

Second that. Tried to stick to him up the Alp d’Heuz once. It lasted about 6 or 7 hairpins before I gave up.

jameso

Agrred Steven. Been watching how rigid SS Tom is getting on in trying to catch FS + gears Josh, then being distracted from the race by zooming right in on where Ilan is and looking forward to hearing about his ride 😀

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Mark McPhillips has been in Tesco for several hours now, either that or he’s forgotten his tracker, or his bike and left on foot.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

Josh scratched, broken linkage.. should have ridden ss

dotwatcher
    Free Member

Quick update – They are going to Contin, then onto Fort A. From there to Fort Bill where tehy are going to pick up the bottom section of The HT550 trail back to Tyndrum.

It was a case of Rich making an execuitive decision after pussing up the hill – they would have been out on their timings for Bothys and shopes. Minipips is not broken as earlier reported.

cinnamon_girl

What an achievement for Minipips and really pleased to hear that he’s OK. You’ll sleep well tonight dotwatcher. 😀

GregMay
    Free Member

Its with a real glum face that I confirm our race long leader Josh as a scratch.

Spoke to him on the phone, he’s fine and safe if a bit sleepy.

Looks like his suspension linkages are toast – not sure if it’s just the bearings or if they snapped. Either way, he is out.

He sounded surprisingly chipper for a bloke who’s had sod all sleep – planning to head to the pub/inn in Strathcarron – fuel up – have a rest then get the train out.

Tom is now on the road leader.

epicyclo

That’s a real shame for Josh. It’s the old story in endurance, eliminate anything that can break or cause trouble because it will break or cause trouble.

Full credit to minipips. I await his next exploit.

It’s great that Tom is still going well.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Nightmare, he was doing so well. Are those forged linkages on that bike of his or carbon? Lair descent with a load on any bike is a bit brutal.

bedmaker

Sickener for Josh. Easy seen how simple bikes win so often, it’s a long way with lots of hammering.

Bets on Ilan getting in a boat next? 🙂

AlasdairMc

I’m in Ullapool for the night. In two minds about continuing as I don’t think my knee will give me 230 painless miles and I know fine well that the next day or two has a lot of pushing. I’ll report back in the morning.

nikk
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that Alasdair. You were going strong as well, but I saw you have a slow start this morning and wondered if you were hurting. Rest up and hopefully you’ll be ok tomorrow!

tallboyjosh
    Free Member

Thanks for following guys. This is the toughest race I have ever done. I massively underestimated it and unfortunately the conditions took their toll on my bike and my bike maintenance skills! the lower swing arm linkage has collapsed meaning no hard pedalling. I’ve had to to push really hard to stay ahead of Tom and he doesn’t even have gears or suspension!!!! Fair play to him a top effort. I pulled the plug given the state of my bike and the grim conditions all week. Now I’ve stopped my feet legs etc are swollen and I didn’t even realise I.can’t feel my fingers… Imagine how Tom feels riding single- speed !!!

paladin

Came over on the ferry from Stornoway this afternoon, and came up behind one of the riders going down loch broom. I think if I was him, I’d have waited half an hour to miss all the ferry traffic, he wasn’t getting much space from passing cars overtaking him.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Bloody impressive ride though josh. It’s been great watching your dot! Hope you are satisfied with what you’ve done, although I’d imagine frustrated at being stopped by kit failure…

Hope you are able to enjoy a few restorative beverages. Anything under 5% is re-hydrating 😉

shandcycles
    Free Member

@tallboyjosh

sorry to hear of the scratch Josh. It’s been great following the dots. That was a really impressive pace early on to stretch out a decent lead.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

That sucks big time Josh. Did Tom offer his commiserations as he passed you or secretly give a little fist pump? Hope your journey home is a safe one.

Mark McPhillips is safe and taking a well earned rest in Dundonnel Hotel after 20 hours riding, biving at 3:30 and up since 5am.

shandcycles
    Free Member

I see Ilan is off for a wee evening jaunt up the Bealach na Ba! Fully expecting his dot to be somewhere in the Western Isles when I get up tomorrow!

IanB
    Free Member

Josh – sorry to see your ride ended the way it did. Great performance to that point though – didn’t look like an effort from someone who had massively underestimated it!

epicyclo

Tom now has less than 100 miles to go.

He has a dynamo – allnighter coming up?

IanB
    Free Member

Won’t have to wait long to see whether he stops at Camban. He stopped there last year, arriving at 12:08am, so he’s almost bang on for the same time…

bedmaker

Fair play to Tom for taking on the Allt Grannda at this time of night… must have taken some willpower to cruise past Kintail!

epicyclo

Is my map right? – it looks like he is 50 miles ahead of the next rider (if you ignore Josh’s tracker).

scotroutes

Aye but it’s 3 hours since Mike Toyns SPOT provided an update so he could be a lot closer.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

not stopping at camban then!

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 464 total)

The topic ‘Highland Trail 550 2015’ is closed to new replies.