Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 464 total)
  • Highland Trail 550 2015
  • large418
    Free Member

This race must be followed by loads:
    Riding into Fisherfield an on oncoming walker said “I think it’s fantastic what you are all doing” (my reply was that it wasn’t fantastic until we finished)

– after I scratched I was riding the road from Dornie to Invergarry and an oncoming truck stopped and shouted “are you doing the Highland Trail? I’ve been following you all!”

Turns out he’s done the Rovaneimi last year and is doing the Cairngorms Loop this year. Lifted my spirits somewhat!

It’s a brilliant “race” (it isn’t a race really I know), just so easy to get caught out or underestimate. The vastness of the scenery makes you very insignificant. But even with rubbish weather, the scenery is truly epic. Fantastic!

kcal

noted a lot of folk seem to be on Stooge cycles – look very interesting..

GregMay
    Free Member

Overnight update.

No scratches.

Three finishers including our oldest ever at 58.
    And Javi the postman
    And Markus the talkative one.

GregMay
    Free Member

kcal – Member
    noted a lot of folk seem to be on Stooge cycles – look very interesting..

I know of two that scratched on Stooges too 🙂

It’s not about the bike. It really isn’t.

GregMay
    Free Member

boxelder – Member
    Now who has a cure for ‘Nana ankles’?

My normal “fix” is to sit down beside a wall. Lie down with my legs parallel to it, then swing them up, get my ass right against the wall.Then, laptop on belly, watch a film for 90mins. Helps stretch hamstrings too.

I then spend most of the next few hours peeing. But it works for me. Also, compression tights/socks and walking lots.

boxelder

Ta Greg – you have nice legs.

GregMay
    Free Member

They look better from other angles too 🙂

matt_outandabout

Brilliant stuff.
    I am starting to wind myself up that this could be a good touring off-road ride as well, with a couple of adjustments…

ononeorange

This is amazing. I am in awe at everyone who took part.

How’s Jenny doing?

sarpullido
    Free Member

Yahoo!!!

What an epic race!! Nearly scratched after my rear hub didn’t engage after 1 hour ride from Fort Augustus along the canal and had to limp for hours with swollen ankles to Nevis bikes in Inverlochi,before Fort William, who kindly let me use all tools.

GregMay
    Free Member

ononeorange – Member
    This is amazing. I am in awe at everyone who took part.

How’s Jenny doing?

Jenny is doing well, still trucking along – that woman is really tough. Awesome.

Two more to finish in the next few hours, which would leave us with two on course – one group start and two ITT riders.

Ilan has vanished into the mist.

boxelder

Jenny is doing well, still trucking along

Someone tell her that the public loos at Dornie are warm, dry, clean and left open at night.

ononeorange

Greg, sorry for the numpty question, but what’s ITT?

Cheers – sadly came to this late.

Ps is that actually a picture of you above doing your hamstring exercises?!!

richpips
    Free Member

Greg, sorry for the numpty question, but what’s ITT?

Individual time trial. Start when you want, and finish likewise.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Jenny’s doing braw. It’s a pity she never left the tyre on the front that she had last week. Could have paddled across the river laid across the bike like a surfboard!

GregMay
    Free Member

Really sad to announce that Jenny has scratched.

Feet won’t go in shoes, ankles are not working. Game over.

markrh
    Free Member

🙁

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

That’s a real shame

nikk
    Free Member

Well done! Looks like a well deserved beer 🙂

Sorry to hear that. That whole ankle swelling thing is a really common problem. Great effort anyway!

reizkultur

Pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/reizkultur/sets/72157653787919485 – epic one this year, next time I’ll concentrate on the racing (:

GregMay
    Free Member

Last ITT rider is in Strathcarron at the moment – Pete Lumsden.

We have one other who scratched and is working his way back.

And Ilan. Oh Ilan.

mariner
    Free Member

Could someone clarify classes please?
    I understand Men Women but why are ITT shown separately?
    I thought the everyone was ITT.

boxelder

It just means that they weren’t in the group start. For the few who are racing in the group start, you’ve started together, under the same weather and trail conditions. ITT is different time and conditions. For the vast majority, this isn’t a race.

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s just to show who is part of the group start and who has set off separately. So yes, it’s an ITT for everyone but having the group start as “one class” lets you compare those all at once.

mariner
    Free Member

So how long after can ITT start?
    How do they get their SPOT registered?
    Does the tracker remain open so that anyone doing route in say August could be tracked?
    Sorry for all the questions just wondered.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Could be the ultimate mid winter fat bike challenge. Wow, imagine that

boxelder

You could start an ITT with the group start – as someone did this time.
    A SPOT will track you on your own page, available to anyone you share the link with.
    Trackleaders won’t be open.
    Check stalking, etc for access in August.

I can rent a Gen 3 spot to anyone interested for the safety it offers. Email in profile.

epicyclo

r8jimbob88 – Member
    Could be the ultimate mid winter fat bike challenge. Wow, imagine that

I’ll be in for that. I’ve been talking about a local version of the great snow races for years. The only problem being trying to arrange it for a time when there is actually snow.

But I think there may be have to be a different route simply because we don’t want any exposure deaths (that’s self-interest talking 🙂 )

scotroutes

The Trackleaders page won’t be available but you can create your own equivalent using Spotwalla. You just upload a GPX track of your proposed route before you set off and then Spotwalla will show your actual track. Here’s one I did on Saturday

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=d54d5567aa1b1679e

boxelder

Sorry – my post above was misleading. You COULD start an ITT with the group start, but it’s very poor form. No-one profits from the challenge, but a lot of work has gone into creating it. That should be respected by starting ITTs on another day.

richpips
    Free Member
    Bunnyhop

What a fantastic adventure for you both. Looking forward to catching up and hearing more about it. 🙂

billyboy
    Free Member

richpips

Bloody brilliant. Well done to both of you.

kcal

that is a lovely write-up for a fantastic adventure !!

DavidB
    Free Member

https://vimeo.com/129471551

Some very crude (in all senses) video featuring the Pips’s about halfway through

GregMay
    Free Member

Right, looks like our last ITT rider is home.

So that is me done with the Twitter feed unless someone else contests it later in the year.

It’s been emotional.

richpips
    Free Member

Thanks Greg. Good work.

firestarter
    Free Member

Very inspiring all that did it but especially to rich and mini pips hats off. My little lad want to follow in minis footsteps despite being 6 🙂

epicyclo

That’s the Olympics sorted in 10 years time then. 🙂

richpips
    Free Member

….and here’s some video we shot. Apologies about the sound. 🙂

[video]https://youtu.be/CZlGRb3bcFo[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 464 total)

The topic ‘Highland Trail 550 2015’ is closed to new replies.