Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • HIghland dwellers – talk to me about winter car tyres
  • stevious

Evenin’ all.

Just wondering if there’s any folk on here who live up in the Highlands with experience of spending winter up here.

My car’s in need of some new tyres and I’m wondering if it’s worth investing in winter tyres this year. I drive a diesel Polo, and make a lot of journeys on the A82 from Fort William to Inverness. From my limited experience the roads seem to get well ploughed and gritted up here so am wondering if it’s worth the hassle, and will the extra rolling resistance be noticable in my fuel consumption.

Any advice greatly received.

druidh
    Free Member

Though not living in the Highlands, I do travel pretty extensively amongst them – particularly during the winter. I’ve never once considered getting any sort of special tyre.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Conversley this year I considered getting snow socks\chains for visits up north and if I lived up that way i’d definately look into getting winter tyres. Was up in Aviemore last week and noticed a few local cars with winter tyres fitted already.

I suppose it depends on what roads you’ll be driving on and if we have another cold winter.

Swalsey
    Free Member

I drive an A2 and after last winter have bought some cheap steel wheels and fitted ‘winter’ tyres. Really, you won’t spend any more on tyres in the long run, but you will be safer and less likely to get stuck if we have a bad one. Winter tyres are actually ‘cold weather’ tyres – the compound is different so it remains supply below 7 degrees C. Apparently the stopping distances are way better below that temperature even without snow, and grip is supposed to be way better on snow – enough for me to give it a go.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Yeah i’ve also heard that.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I put general grabber at2’s on our X-Trail last winter. The off road grip is amazing and driving on soft snow wasn’t much different than tarmac. Hard compacted snow and ice was also much better with low pressures.
    On road, they’re slightly noisier than standard tyres, but they handle way better than the continentals that were originally on. The sidewalls are much tougher so the whole car leans less and generally goes faster round corners :). They cost 360 for 4 fitted and is the best investment i’ve made! Don’t notice my difference in fuel economy either, despite the obvious chunkyness

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I run Vredstein Snowtrac 3 tyres on an extra set of wheels that I’ll be swapping over as soon as daily frosts look likely. They’ll be on a 2.0 diesel Berlingo and the difference is night and day. When they’re on, I’m only really concerned by sustained snow deeper than 30cm. Shorter drifts can be pushed through, but clearance is an issue on longer stretches. The clearance on the B’lingo is better than most cars anyway.

They are fine on non-snowy roads and have no noticeable effect on fuel consumption. Why more people don’t use them, I’ve no idea.

EDIT: I’d add that I didn’t get stuck due to road conditions even once last winter, and we had snow lying in out street from December until late March. I did get stuck behind other cars with summer tyres on, and towed a couple out even with ‘only’ 2WD…

amodicumofgnar

I’ve been thinking of a set, they dont seem much more expensive than the tyre’s I ran last winter. Got because they had more cross tread than the usual ones I run. Most people I know who have snow tyres run them on a second set of wheels that get stored during the rest of the year. The guys who run my local garage suggested running a set of steel wheels with winter tyres. They also thought I might want to take them to a tyre place they know and get them studded!

scuttler

Got a set of Vredestein Snowtracs on a second set of wheels from tyremen.co.uk last year and suddenly stopped fretting about the weather. As another correspondent says its like night and day and they’re generally better even when it’s just cold and wet.

Some say that they’re not necessary given the cost but for me as well as them being loads better it’s piece of mind that if I need to get out (or back) I can do without much drama. You have the luxury of hitting the back roads when everyone else is sliding around on the main roads.

Just to give you an idea I was able to do hill starts on 1/5 (poss 1/4) hills covered in snow and ice.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Never had seen the need for winter tyres. Shouldn’t be pushing it in grim conditions anyway.

Innes
    Free Member

I live in Nairn and last winter a decent winter tyre was a big advantage. The roads don’t get gritted enough, and it the ice was a big problem last year as well.

I used to use Gislaved Nordfrost tyres on my old Subaru and they were amazing, we used them all year round and they were fine. It was a four wheel drive car so it isn’t a plain comparison, but the difference the tyres made was unreal.

I would give it a go.

trumplesneaker
    Free Member

I live in Grampian and hadn’t considered them until last winter when we had a torrid time for weeks on end. My only issue is locating some spare rims and storing a set of 17″ summer wheels and tyres for the winter (plus my wife will want them too so that’s 2 sets of wheels/tyres etc 🙄 )

stevious

cheers for the replies guys. Will have a shop about and see what I surfaces.

stevomcd
    Free Member

We run full winter tyres on our van in the winter. They’re awesome! Our under-powered 9-seater minibus will make it up virtually anything with them on. It’s embarassed quite a few faux-by-faux’s.

Our place is a little above the resort centre here and hence the road doesn’t get as well maintained as the lower roads do. Late Feb/early March often brings 3″ thick boiler-plate ice on the road and we can still make it up without the need for chains. Summer tyres would see us putting on the chains every time we took the van out, and that’s a real pain in the ar$e.

I think I put chains on twice during the whole of last winter, both of them down to having to stop/re-start on a steep bit due to other road users (i.e. muppets wandering around in a dream with skis on their shoulders taking up the whole road! 😉 ).

We don’t bother with a spare set of rims, they just get swapped on and off the standard rims and we store the summer tyres out of the way. Some garages/tyre places around here will store your “other” set of tyres for you for a small fee.

If you think it’s going to be an issue for you, don’t hesitate, get winter tyres. They’re great. Chains are an option of last resort. They’re a total pain and they break very easily.

NOTE: I live at 1,600m in the French Alps, not in the Highlands!

sweepy
    Free Member

I live near Cairngorm and last winter was a blast. 80 mile round trip to work and missed one day, and nothing was getting through then as they closed the road.
    I work on the basis that normal tyres will get you through virtually anything, and If I want to go somewhere they wont then I put on the chains.
    Having said that, Id happily use snowtyres if I had them, theyre not far off chains for grip, and a bit more convenient. I’d still have the chains with me in case tho.

takisawa2

Do these tyres need to be on all four corners ?
    Would it be any use just putting them on the driven wheels ?
    (To save cash)

sweepy
    Free Member

People do do that, but be aware it makes losing the back much more likely.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Driven wheels is OK if FWD, all 4 is better though for roadholding. If you lose the rear with standard tyres and winter ones on the front, it’ll go VERY quickly.

martinxyz
    Free Member

i think i had gislaved norfrost 2s last year and what a diff. the guy at work got them on his mondeo too and they made a huge diffrence. really worth it.

i have managed fine over the past 12 years going to Aviemore each day on normal tyres but under braking,the compound and pattern of the winter tyres are worth their weight in gold when they are really needed.

to spend crazy amounts on the bike but run the wrong tyres on the car is so stupid.we all get away with it but when you really need them, and you dont have them.. you will be sorry. Its fun falling off the bike through poor tyre choice.. you can laugh about it. but dont think its a laughing matter when you slide off the road!

i had a look at chains and winter socks earlier. still not sure what to go for yet.i dont know who makes the toughest socks.

martinxyz
    Free Member

sweepy i missed one day going to aviemore too! the police were pretty much going to crack down on folk leaving Inverness one morning it was that bad with drifts across the A9. how well did your car survive with all the clean snow for,what? 6 weeks of snow snow snow?! my car didnt take much of a hammering with all the snow last year. i hope its the same this year.

snow tomorrow on the peaks. I have my battery charger set up for the camera to get snowy wyvis pics tomorrow morning.

sweepy
    Free Member

michelin do a composite snow chain that my mate swears by, seem to be a compromise between chains and socks
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Michelin-Easygrip-Composite-Snow-Chains/dp/B002VX0JZU

still think id have chains as a last resort myself tho

sweepy
    Free Member

martin, the only problem I had was the fuel lines freezing once in a while below about -18. Kept a blowtorch with me to warm it up.
    Did you see the two cars buried on the verge of the A9 for about two months 🙂

sweepy
    Free Member

a9 last year,

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Im from the highlands and family still live there. Used to be very common for people to fit winter tyres (even studded tyres though possibly not legal). Not seen so much now due to mild winters. Went up for last xmas and new year and wished I had some got a bit stuck in deep fresh snow a few times. Put a pair on front of my wifes Bora Tdi. Superb! would go anywhere. It wouldnt even reverse out of the drive in the snow before fitting them. They made a bit more road noise mpg dropped mabe 3 miles per gallon max.
    Soon after xmas went to france waaahhhyyy up in the mountains there was lots and lots of snow, snow blower out every morning. Was driving rear drive merc vito bus thingy. Put snow chains on and it was unstoppable. The draw back with chains is that once you hit tarmac you have stop and take them off cause it feels dangerous to drive with them if not on snow. Fitting and removing is a bit of a faff and involves getting your arms behind wet cold snow covered tyres! Not nice. I would think a modern winter tyre would be your best bet for fort / inverness. But be aware they wont make much difference on black ice. Only studs cut into ice.
    Try Inverness tyre service but expect to have to order them as most places dont carry stock and what there was got sold out very quickly when the snow started falling!

Dont mean to be alarmist but always good to carry a shovel too!

Culloden last xmas!

martinxyz
    Free Member

yeah and they kept getting harled with snow and grit each day to top it up.. then it froze! they couldnt even hack it off to get into them. i think there was a bmw on daviot hill that got out after a few weeks but what a nightmare. then there was the new overtaking lanes.. the L200 and the x5. people putting the foot down and spinning off into the ditch in their 4x4s ha! those composite chains look good. only 2 sets left in my wheels size.

re: you shouldnt be pushing it in grim conditions..

you dont need to be pushing it for the car to turn into something similar to a curling stone. A few years ago now at the north junction of aviemore, a guy hit a lorry nearly head on right next to me as i was turning off the A9. he split his head open badly and his L200 was a write off. He was o.k. but the next thing i was worried about was the northbound cars about to pile into the accident in near whiteout conditions.I started walking south to wave down the cars heading north so they wouldnt pile into the lorry and the cop and fireman told me to “not bother”. i said that its just going to end up with more accidents and they didnt bother warning anyone. about 2 mins later a three or four car pile up happened behind the lorry. I raised both arms,grinned at them and walked off back to the car.
    The cars werent going fast but the slid like curling stones.

rubber & ice is NOT easy driving!

martinxyz
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Free Member

Drove to culloden every weekend last winter from aberdeen on normal tires- only thing that made it hazzardous for me was **** tailgaters !

Will be putting winter tires on a spare set of wheels i have this winter purely because i dont want to buy a 4×4 even though where we live would justify it !

muenchen1
    Free Member

Not a Highland dweller but have been considering winter tyres anyway as moved to a rural location recently which won’t get looked after in the ‘winter’. Talking to those in the know at work (Chassis & tyres people) consensus is that winter tyres give you the upper hand in grip once the temp drops below 7 deg C which if you look at annual weather data is broadly Nov to March in the UK.
    The winter tyres have a softer compound e.g not like summer tyres which go rock hard in low temps.
    Their other feature is the more open tread pattern to avoid them packing with snow/slush which I guess is only beneficial a few weeks of the year even in the most snowy areas.
    Anyway I’m sold on the idea and will be getting a set of steel wheels and winter rubber all for less than £350.
    Guess will never know if they are better as hardly likely in mid-winter to rush home and swap back to summer tyres and go and try the same route but logic stacks up for me.

spooky_b329

I’ve have winter tyres fitted all year round on the driven wheels of my van, fronts will be changed to winters when the time comes. They are better in cold temperatures you might as well leave them on for the whole winter.

The ‘light front wheel drive car with narrow tyres’ (our Punto) was completely flummoxed by snow and ice, the rear wheel drive van with winter tyres laden to about 3000kg just carried on as normal, it went up hills where all other normal cars were sliding about halfway up 🙂 I even tried to provoke it into getting stuck but it wasn’t having any of it.

tartanscarf

I’ve lived in Glencoe for the last 3 1/2 years and am still driving my 1.4l, 10 year old Ford Focus with whichever normal tyres the local garage fits. Last winter the A82 was closed 3 times (from memory) and I had to dig myself out once. Our track here is unmade too – rough stone for a couple of 100m to the minor road itself. I was in Livingston (central belt) for Christmas and it was a complete nightmare – roads closed/impassable everywhere and digging myself out every day.

The east does get more snow though and I’ve had some nightmare journeys up and down the A9.

TS

notlocal
    Free Member

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs373.snc4/45661_1279639719959_1499022547_727352_3384591_n.jpg[/img]

I’m not saying it would never have happened if I had winter tyres fitted, but I feel my accident would have been more “controlled”.
    I’ve had advanced driver training as a Paramedic, including skid pan training, and I was still unable to control a slow speed skid.
    I’d become aware of black ice on the road, approximately 400 metres further up the road and had begun to scrub speed using engine braking, when my car hit more black ice at around 30mph. After correcting the skid 3-4 times I could feel the vehicle picking up speed, and becoming unresponsive whilst going up an incline. We ended our journey 40 feet below the road in the River Dee, after rolling down an embankment and hitting a tree.
    The vehicle was fitted with mud/snow tyres in preparation for the heavy snow we were expecting, so my next set of winter treads will be snow/ice specific i.e heavily siped with a block tread, rather than just blocky.

By the way it was a relatively warm 7 degrees when my Wife and I left home for work that morning.

alp_girl
    Free Member

I’m also quite keen to get a set of winter tyres this year – just wondering where you guys get the steel wheels from?

notlocal,
    wow, what car is that? It looks so mangled, I can’t tell from your picture!! Were you both unhurt?

twohats
    Free Member

The vehicle was fitted with mud/snow tyres in preparation for the heavy snow we were expecting, so my next set of winter treads will be snow/ice specific i.e heavily siped with a block tread, rather than just blocky.

Mud and snow tyres should not be confused with winter tyres. They have a tread pattern that works well in both mud and snow, but generally the same hard rubber compound as a regular summer tyre.

notlocal
    Free Member

twohats: Yeah I’m aware of the difference, but on the makers website they are still billed as a winter use tyre. That’s why I’m going for specific snow and ice tyres with the Mountain and Snowflake symbol.

alp girl: it WAS a Mitsi Delica. Shogun based people carrier. I fractured my sternum, bruised heart and lungs, and severed 3 tendons in my wrist. Mrs notlocal broke her back at T8. The docs described it as an explosive fracture. In laymans terms she compressed the vertebra and the 3 spinous protrusions shattered into lots of pieces. She’s back to work as a Paramedic (had to return earlier than advised, or go onto no pay) but is still undergoing physio.
    We’re both VERY thankful, and lucky to be alive.

notlocal
    Free Member

Oh,forgot. Steels and tyres available from mytyres.co.uk

ando227
    Free Member

Mud and snow tyres should not be confused with winter tyres. They have a tread pattern that works well in both mud and snow, but generally the same hard rubber compound as a regular summer tyre.

You make an excellent point, winter tyres should be of a suitable compound and siped tread pattern for grip in wet and icy conditions.

devs
    Free Member

My Mondeo never moved for 2 months last winter, it was bad enough in the wet, trying to get it out of the perma drifts around it just wasn’t going to happen. My van had to be dug out several times but was generally ok once it got going. My wife’s Punto managed fine although it grounded out a few times on the central ice shelf between the 8-12″ ruts down our road. I’ve gone for AWD this year and will probably get the business to get steels and winter tyres. They may be the biggest waste of money ever but they could also pay for themselves in one day and earn me some cash! Last winter was the only one for a long time that they would actually be deemed more than just a luxury but we’ve had snow already this year and it’s looking cold!

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

I kept snow tyres on all year round on the front of my Fiesta for about 4 years until last year when we had the worst snow for a decade. They’d been great when it did snow, never ever got stuck but it hadn’t snowed that often so I got ordinary tyres instead. Typical. However, having had the brand new tyres fitted in mid November, they were still grippy enough to get me home every night through untreated roads as they had loads of tread. That said, I will be putting snow treads on this year, they’re not that much more expensive and I hate getting stuck.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Notlocal, don’t beat yourself up over the accident. The only tyre that will help on ice is a studded one. The tyres on my X.trail are amazing in the snow, but just as useless on ice as any other, even at 10psi

lakesrider
    Free Member

a few things i’d point out (some already mentioned above)

– snow tyres are better in general once temp gets below 7 degrees, ie more grip on cold dry roads, cold wet roads and snow.

– for the UK i’d get a winter tyre that scores well for all round conditions (see tyretest.com or tyrereviews.co.uk) not just excelling at snow

– although you have to buy an extra set, it saves wear on the summer tyres for 4-5 months so the extra cost isnt really that much

-an insurance claim (excess + higher premiums) or even a slight dent fixed in a bodyshop as a result of a snowy slide will probably cost you nearly as much as a winter set of tyres.

– If you have big alloys with lo pro tyres its best to go down a size if you can. See mytyres for rubber on steel rims. The rims + tyres i got for 16″ were cheaper than just the tyres for 17″!

– get them now!!! The prices on mytyres have been slowly increasing over the last few weeks. All the european countries will be buying tyres now, and the best performing ones get snapped up first. Leave it too long and you’ll pay much higher prices for the popular ones, or be left with crappy far east budget versions!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘HIghland dwellers – talk to me about winter car tyres’ is closed to new replies.