Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • High volume 29er tyres
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

What’s around? mtbtires.com info seems out of date.

Is the Conti Mountain King II as big as the I?

Nipper99
    Free Member

2.35 Nobby Nic on the front of my Gryphon comes up pretty big – 58mm wide (casing not knobs) and 29.5 inches o.d

Shackleton

Saw a 2.35 Hans Dampf on a FlowEX yesterday and it was hands down the biggest 29er tyre I’ve ever seen. Makes a MK II look like a road tyre.

takisawa2

Knard ? 🙂

2.35 Ralphs here. Pretty big.

2.4 Conti X-King on THIS MTBR thread looks huge, but it is on a Rabbit Hole rim.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have a look at On One’s own-brand offerings, the 26ers are ace and the price is right.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

29 x 3″ Knard, you’ll need a rabbit hole though 😉

mboy
    Free Member

2.5″ Maxxis Minion or 2.35″ Hans Dampf are feasibly the biggest that most forks could handle. On One Chunky monkey is pretty big too.

In slightly more sensible but still pretty big tyres, there’s the Spesh Purgatory, Bontrager 29-4 and Maxxis High Roller 2 all available.

If you want silly daft for rigid front end then there is of course the Surly Knard, which will give you a 31″ rolling radius!

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s for the back of a Kona Big Kahuna and there seems a ton of clearance. I may need to use it for the Dudes of Hazzard, in which case I might stick my fat front end on it but would like something beefier behind, I guess I’d struggle to get a knard in, and it would be daft on my Open pro road rim!

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Have a look at On One’s own-brand offerings, the 26ers are ace and the price is right.

As per other posts the On One 2.4 Chunky Monkey is big and rides pretty well. Got one on the front of my 29er.

lump

Same as above, cracking front tyre for £15

ajantom

I’ve just ordered a couple of chunky monkeys to fit to my Krampus when the ground gets really sloppy (given up waiting for the Dirt Wizards this year 🙁 )
    Should be interesting to see how wide they come up on the Rabbit Hole rims.

Rorschach
    Free Member
    mboy
    Free Member

It’s for the back of a Kona Big Kahuna and there seems a ton of clearance.

Good choice sir!

Same bike here… A 2.3″ Spesh Purgatory fits in with mud room, wouldn’t want to go much bigger though personally.

martinh
    Free Member

Not sure any of the above are going to be very stable on an Open Pro!

ajantom

Just fitted the Chunky Monkeys to the Krampus/Rabbit Holes….they look massive!
    Width comes out at 65mm on the calipers, and the 50mm rim gives them really big volume.
    Probably losing about 20mm in height compared to the Knards so hopefully the BB won’t be too low.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘High volume 29er tyres’ is closed to new replies.